U2, Garth Brooks, Springsteen among t...

U2, Garth Brooks, Springsteen among those who perform for Obama

There are 7 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 18, 2009, titled U2, Garth Brooks, Springsteen among those who perform for Obama. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

It was a day that combined highminded political rhetoric with the very best of pop culture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Money Rules

Baltimore, MD

#2 Jan 18, 2009
No Kool Aid wrote:
Here's some "change" for the drones to ponder.
Nobama is spending over four times on his "coronation" than what President GW Bush spent. Somewhere near 200 million tax dollars to be spent on one event.
Seeing how this idiot ran around telling everyone about "the failed Bush economy" and "We are in the worse economy since the great depression" and "We are going to 'change' Washington" and blah blah blah.....Where is the ‘change’???
So let me understand this, in the middle of “the worse economy since the great depression” the new president decides to spend nearly 200 million on an inauguration?
Four years ago, the left wing media went nuts over GW Bush’s inauguration cost of 41 million. They had all these cool graphs and showed America what 41 million could buy. Has anyone seen anything close to this about B. Hussein’s spending????
$200,000,000.00
Four times as much as just four years ago before we had a recession.
“Change”?????
Could he have spent maybe half that and given the other 100 million to the poor????
And this is only the beginning….
Anyone want to know about the alleged “stimulus” package?? AKA: The Nobama “pay back” package. Unions are VERY happy with this alleged “stimulus”.
Stay tuned kids……There is so much more to come!
Mr Tan man are new pres has pulled the wool over peoples eyes. Well its all about those dumocrates. The ones that want that change. Yea right and I'm superman.

Since: Dec 08

Orlando, FL

#3 Jan 18, 2009
As citizens of the United States are losing homes, and as Bank of America, who targets low income customers by not posting debits to an account before credits intentionally causing overdrafts receives a second round of Government Bail Out funds, President Elect Obama holds the most costly inauguration in United States History.

Obama talked a good talk during his bid for office, vowing to rescue the families who are facing homelessness, and making things right with the economy. We will soon see if his inexperience with Foreign Policy, Economics and the Military can help him walk the walk.

Funny, white people can't get aid from the government or even a phone number that answers, but African Americans and hispanics and those here illegally can.

I watched WFTV with interest tonight as 2 buses full of students loaded up to go to Washington D.C. for the Inauguration, not one white student was among them.

Funny, no one is out burning down buildings and screaming discrimination are they?
Money Rules

Baltimore, MD

#4 Jan 18, 2009
Reality_check-2 wrote:
As citizens of the United States are losing homes, and as Bank of America, who targets low income customers by not posting debits to an account before credits intentionally causing overdrafts receives a second round of Government Bail Out funds, President Elect Obama holds the most costly inauguration in United States History.
Obama talked a good talk during his bid for office, vowing to rescue the families who are facing homelessness, and making things right with the economy. We will soon see if his inexperience with Foreign Policy, Economics and the Military can help him walk the walk.
Funny, white people can't get aid from the government or even a phone number that answers, but African Americans and Hispanics and those here illegally can.
I watched WFTV with interest tonight as 2 buses full of students loaded up to go to Washington D.C. for the Inauguration, not one white student was among them.
Funny, no one is out burning down buildings and screaming discrimination are they?
Exactly very well put!
Richard

Pensacola, FL

#5 Jan 18, 2009
No Kool Aid wrote:
Here's some "change" for the drones to ponder.
Nobama is spending over four times on his "coronation" than what President GW Bush spent. Somewhere near 200 million tax dollars to be spent on one event.
Seeing how this idiot ran around telling everyone about "the failed Bush economy" and "We are in the worse economy since the great depression" and "We are going to 'change' Washington" and blah blah blah.....Where is the ‘change’???
So let me understand this, in the middle of “the worse economy since the great depression” the new president decides to spend nearly 200 million on an inauguration?
Four years ago, the left wing media went nuts over GW Bush’s inauguration cost of 41 million. They had all these cool graphs and showed America what 41 million could buy. Has anyone seen anything close to this about B. Hussein’s spending????
$200,000,000.00
Four times as much as just four years ago before we had a recession.
“Change”?????
Could he have spent maybe half that and given the other 100 million to the poor????
And this is only the beginning….
Anyone want to know about the alleged “stimulus” package?? AKA: The Nobama “pay back” package. Unions are VERY happy with this alleged “stimulus”.
Stay tuned kids……There is so much more to come!
I would take that over another corrupt admin any day!
bill

Spencer, MA

#6 Jan 19, 2009
Well from an entertainment/musicanship standpoint the two hour HBO concert on the mall was poorly done. The gang should take some pointers from the NFL or WWW for staging concepts.
But how about the "president of the people" having his first big event only available to those that buy HBO ! The poor folk screwed again !
Sensible

Richmond, IN

#8 Jan 19, 2009
Check your facts (and your spelling and grammar, while you're at it). First, HBO is offering an open feed all day -- that means anyone with cable can see the concert without paying for it. Second, the show is being paid for by the Inauguration Committee, not by the taxpayters -- ditto all the balls, etc.
It's amazing that after your conservative president has trashed the economy, you blame the incoming one for spending money on his inauguration! Put the blame where it belongs -- on the man you folks obviously voted for, and thus, on yourselves. Your remmeber him, George Bush, the man who took a deficit-free budget left to him by a Democrat and ran in up to unprecedented levels? Perhaps you are in trouble with your mortgage and facing losing your homes. If so,, don't look at Mr. Obama for someone to blame -- look in the mirror. You voted in George Bush, and you spent your way into an economic crisis, buying homes you couldn't afford and using your credit cards to buy big-screen TVs and
every little thing your kids asked for. Now you enjoy playing victim and blaming "liberals." Well, I'm a liberal and proud of it, and I have lived within my means, gotten a good education at my own expense, and worked hard. Thus I am facing no hardship now. Conservatives are supposed to believe in accepting responsibility for your own actions. Try it youself some time, instead of expecting it from unnamed others.
And your characterizations of Mr. Obama by color show clearly what racists you are.
bill

Spencer, MA

#10 Jan 19, 2009
Sensible wrote:
Check your facts (and your spelling and grammar, while you're at it). First, HBO is offering an open feed all day -- that means anyone with cable can see the concert without paying for it. Second, the show is being paid for by the Inauguration Committee, not by the taxpayters -- ditto all the balls, etc.
It's amazing that after your conservative president has trashed the economy, you blame the incoming one for spending money on his
inauguration! Put the blame where it belongs -- on the man you folks obviously voted for, and thus, on yourselves. Your remmeber him, George Bush, the man who took a deficit-free budget left to him by a Democrat and ran in up to unprecedented levels? Perhaps you are in trouble with your mortgage and facing losing your homes. If so,, don't look at Mr. Obama for someone to blame -- look in the mirror. You voted in George Bush, and you spent your way into an economic crisis, buying homes you couldn't afford and using your credit cards to buy big-screen TVs and
every little thing your kids asked for. Now you enjoy playing victim and blaming "liberals." Well, I'm a liberal and proud of it, and I have lived within my means, gotten a good education at my own expense, and worked hard. Thus I am facing no hardship now. Conservatives are supposed to believe in accepting responsibility for your own actions. Try it youself some time, instead of expecting it from unnamed others.
And your characterizations of Mr. Obama by color show clearly what racists you are.
First of all please check your spelling and grammar before goofing on anyone else.
How big of HBO to open the feed. Since you obviously have cable you saw the show, I too have cable. However I live in one of the poorest communities in MA. A vast majority of the poorest subscribe to dish network. There are also many that have only antena service. And since Obama has publically asked thst the date for changing everyone to digital be delayed I guess there at a lot of folks that couldn't tune in.
BTW - As you probably think, everyone in MA is liberal. Hell, ted Kennedy was the only political person to never refuse to call himself a liberal - even when it was a sin to both parties.
also BTW - I putmyself through a private college in four years without any parental or governmental help. No one appreciates the value of a dollar more than me. Spending 200 million for a day of partying is tragic.
And finally, as a graduate of the top contemporary music college in the country and a 30 year member of the music commu nity of Boston I feel quite comfortABLE SAYING THE SHOW WAS PURFUNCTARY. If this is what the OB team has in store for his tenure in the White House we're screwed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Brooks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Garth Brooks to perform in Columbus for the fir... Feb '16 Big Johnson 1
News Armed with hits, Garth Brooks finds a home in B... Jan '16 Reese 1
..MISSION Stuttering (Jul '15) Jul '15 PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
Garth Brooks Cheats on Trisha Yearwood??? (Mar '08) Jun '15 Poopie 26
News Garth Brooks again surpasses Elvis as U.S. solo... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Not Believing It 1
News This Week in Billboard Chart History: In 2009, ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Kelly DJ 1
News Garth Brooks cites Ferguson for cancellation (Nov '14) Nov '14 fire 50 min respo... 1
More from around the web