Laina Farhat-Holzman: Russia and Geor...

Laina Farhat-Holzman: Russia and Georgia: Guns of August again?

There are 23 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Aug 23, 2008, titled Laina Farhat-Holzman: Russia and Georgia: Guns of August again?. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

On Aug. 8, during China's big Olympic debut, Russia invaded Georgia, ostensibly to protect Georgia's breakaway state, South Ossetia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lil Buf Jr

Daly City, CA

#22 Aug 23, 2008
p.s. Laina Farhat-Holzman is a tool.
Da Buffalo Amongst Wolves

San Jose, CA

#23 Aug 23, 2008
Lil Buf Jr: "Dude, you need to be more skeptical about your own sources of information. Seriously. Your faith in the Big Conspiracy is blinding you to some inconvenient complexities."

What conspiracy are you talking about?

I'm not discussing 'conspiracy theories'. This has to have been the most open to reporters military action that the world has ever seen.

The world watched, and what they saw was a US client state in Central Asia, Georgia, attack a country (after ongoing confrontations and provocations by both sides) that Russia was in the process of granting independence to.

Georgia seems to be saying that Ossetia is Georgian territory and they HAVE NO RIGHT to independence. granted by Russia or not.

There's no conspiracy there...

Do YOU see a conspiracy there?

I prefer to use ANOTHER "C" word, "Collusion", between the US (Who just happened to have US trainers training Georgian troops there... Must be one of THOSE coincidences) and Georgia to grab a petro-strategically portion of Central Asia more closely affiliated with Iran than Russia OR Georgia.

No conspiracy, just a nasty little neo-imperial proxy war that will end up breaking what little is left of the US economy that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (and the Horn of Africa, with it's whole shiny new military command needing to be financed out of your tax dollars) haven't depleted beyond the zero.

Have you seen the Federal Reserve's reserves?

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/phot...

The US has none.
Lil Buf Jr

Daly City, CA

#24 Aug 23, 2008
Yes it's all very nice for reporters in Georgia now

but please try and address the issue of ethnic cleansing.

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_cleansing...

In Abhkazia in the '90s: 10,000 to 30,000 ethnic Georgians killed, roughly 230,000 to 250,000 civilian expelled from their homes.

Since your "history" begins on 8-8-08 this bit of the story goes unaccounted for. Approximately how many people are in Abkhazia today? Did the ethnic cleansing of the '90s have any impact on the demographics of the area? See the table of Demographics over time here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazia

Now that is actually interesting: in 1989, 45.7% are ethnic Georgian, 17.8% are ethnic Abkhaz. In 2003, 21.3% and 43.8% respectively.

I am NOT saying this is the "whole story" by any stretch. But the "Russia to the rescue" story you are spinning is seriously incomplete.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On This Day: McCollum Memo Delivered (Feb '15) Jul '16 Cynthia 3
News Like Lincoln and FDR, Obama faces nation in cri... (Nov '08) Oct '14 yon 52
News Veteran projectionist still threading film at m... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Films 1
News Memos show U.S. hushed up Soviet crime (Sep '12) Sep '12 Pesky army 6
News Hmm. The 2012 Election Reminds Me Of Something (May '12) Jun '12 Le Jimbo 71
News Paul Broun on FDR (Sep '11) Sep '11 Brotha of the Unb... 1
News The Constitution and compassion, too (May '11) May '11 JERRY DEMING 6
More from around the web