Michael Jackson vs. Elvis
cimarron

Omaha, NE

#4569 Feb 7, 2013
Elvis was always the best Micheal can't hold a candle to him :) by
shaun

UK

#4570 Mar 8, 2013
micheal was awesome but elvis was the biggest star. i understand why micheal's fans feel he is the biggest but record sales and dance ability still cannot match the fact that elvis was a trailblazer whose impact changed the course of popular music. where micheal's anniversary of his sad passing goes without being news worthy, 35 years after Elvis passing, over a hundred thousand turn up at his home to pay tribute. Elvis was the biggest star when there was no celebrity culture. micheal achieved so much within the music industry. yet elvis actually had more hits and more number one's. i liked micheal a lot but elvis was the single most influencial cultural force of the 20th century. micheal was brilliant, elvis was and still is the greatest superstar that ever lived.
Dennis Hauser

United States

#4571 Mar 11, 2013
ElvisGirl1970 wrote:
Elvis, rocked. Still rocks, and will rock, majorly ..
So therefore he was, currently is, and will always be the KING. End of story. lol.
The Man,the Myth, the Legend, The King!(of Rock'n Roll)

“Elvis Just Rocks! ”

Since: Aug 12

Sydney

#4572 Mar 22, 2013
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
The Man,the Myth, the Legend, The King!(of Rock'n Roll)
Nods in agreement. Brilliantly put together! <<33
Anonymous

Hyattsville, MD

#4573 Mar 24, 2013
Both are great entertainers and they work very hard to keep that status that they had and currently have. Both have broken a fair share of records. So there shouldn't be any fighting.

In my opinion, they both suck. They harmed their lives with drugs and unnecessary problems that not should of been in the public eye.
coolhand

Dublin, Ireland

#4574 Mar 24, 2013
KB50MJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to bust your buble but Elvis did not sell a blillion records, its more around 500 million.
As far as record sales:
1. The Beatels- over a billion
2. Michael Jackson- 750 million
#. Elvis- 500 million

Sorry to burst your bubble but Elvis is THE most successful recording artist with over one billion worldwide sales. He was the first and most iconic of all music stars who revolutionized not only musical but cultural history worldwide. Nobody else comes close to his impact on popular culture, and if anyone has any doubts about his true sales figures check out elvis.com .au and an article called "For the billionth and the last time". Jackson was great, Beatles were greatest group hand down, but Elvis reigns, and thanks to records and cd's now being almost obsolete, he always will! Case closed
Anonymous

Hyattsville, MD

#4575 Mar 30, 2013
ricobpro | Nov 4, 2008 It is really funny why pick on Elvis against Michael Jackson if you believe Elvis is nothing? I rather not discuss who sold more records. Elvis have left nothing to prove and history speaks for itself. You have to be around when it all started and I am sure you are not that old to be part of that Elvis generation. How can a "nobody" like Elvis who died more than 30 years ago top the biggest earning dead celebrity far more than the current living celebrities. I hope Michael Jackson beat this record 30 years after his death.

I....I agree
Anonymous

Hyattsville, MD

#4576 Mar 30, 2013
Here We go again
Paul

United States

#4577 Apr 23, 2013
Elvis did not come from the era of album artists, the point of record sales from the 1940s into the early 80s was to sell singles.

Even though Elvis's record company was marketing the singles for optimum sales (and albums were secondary) Elvis still is the number one solo seller for albums in the US at 134.5 million as of 2013-that does not include album sales for all of over 400 album releases and reissues that do not meet RIAA accredidation requirements to be counted in their official total.
The word "unaccredited" does not negate legit sales-something RCA and now Sony have tried to stress to the RIAA for years.
The RIAA does not debate that Elvis's total sales are way higher than the total they give him-they just will not change their accredidation methods.
If you sell 500,000 albums-that 500,000 is added to an artists total-if you sell 499,999-you get ZIP added.
So if you add in all those uncounted sales-his total legit sales would be around 200 million albums sold for the US.
Now add in all "units" that have been sold by Elvis since 1955 (78s,45s,EPs,reel-to-reels, 8 tracks, cassettes) and the total explodes for US sales alone.

This still does not include special compilations such as Time Warner special box sets, promotional sets, etc that are done yearly-nor albums in which Elvis is included with other artists in sets.
Accounting for sales until the early 80s was mostly by the old fashioned method of ledger sheets and dependence upon record companies to give artists fair accountings (record companies before computer accounting were notorious for cheating artists out of royalties by hiding sales)

Worldwide "units sold" (singles, albums, EPs etc) Elvis has sold well over a billion.

Yes MJ had less time to sell, and less releases-but bottomline Elvis has the most total units sold.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#4578 Apr 23, 2013
Elvis set a standard for everyone else. His dance moves were copied by MJ, his jumpsuits were copied by too many other singers to name
here. But where MJ was a great artist and entertainer, E. was the whole package. He had raw talent that developed into an amazing
voice with such range and power. MJ didn't have that same type of voice or range. E. is the most gorgeous creature, so much so that
not just women were enthralled by his beauty, even straight men were. It is said that he had such a presence that you could feel it
when he entered a room. Had Elvis been allowed to develop his acting talent instead of making crappy movies, he'd have likely been
one of the greatest thespians of our time. Sadly, that didn't happen. Whitney Houston, in an interview once said that she'd met Elvis
when she was just nine. Her mother was singing backup for him and after a concert Whitney was allowed to go to a party to meet
him. She stated that when he entered the room she couldn't even speak. All she could do was just "look at him".
Absolutely

Europe

#4579 Feb 15, 2014
M I C H A E L
J A C K S O N
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards...
Read the whole thing then say Elvis Presley is better. You can believe whatever you want about Michael Jacksons personal life but musically he IS FAR GREATER AND TALENTED. The facts show it.
Abi

Pinellas Park, FL

#4580 Feb 15, 2014
Okay I have to go with Michael because Michael was an extraordinary singer, dancer, writer, producer, actor, AND humanitarian. He gave millions of dollars to charity's and hospitals. He produced all his videos and wrote all his songs unlike Elvis. Michael and Elvis are both iconic artists but Michael takes this one. Michael also has been in the Guinness book of records and the hall of fame twice. He was active in this profession from 1964 to 2009. &#128522;
WhitneyTCB

Marion, OH

#4581 Feb 19, 2014
Elvis! Don't get me wrong I enjoy Michael's music and i don't really have nothing against him, it's just Elvis is my choice! There are many comparison's of the both but in the end its what appeals to you! You can't help what you like but they are both legends in their own right.
rocky joel

Finland

#4582 Feb 24, 2014
Can't Help Falling In Love With Elvis Aaron Presley ;)
FYI

United States

#4583 Mar 25, 2014
Abi wrote:
Okay I have to go with Michael because Michael was an extraordinary singer, dancer, writer, producer, actor, AND humanitarian. He gave millions of dollars to charity's and hospitals. He produced all his videos and wrote all his songs unlike Elvis. Michael and Elvis are both iconic artists but Michael takes this one. Michael also has been in the Guinness book of records and the hall of fame twice. He was active in this profession from 1964 to 2009. &#128522;
I'll stick with Elvis. He is also in the Guinness Book as being the biggest selling solo artist in the world. Also way ahead of MJ on the RIIA list and ahead of him in sales in the soundscan era. Elvis also gave tons of money away over his lifetime to charities and people in need, the difference is that unlike Michael, Elvis did it without making sure everybody knew it.
Luke Tieppo

Perth, Australia

#4584 Apr 9, 2014
Michael Jackson was the better entertainer no doubt. People are just racist that's all. Michael didn't overeat and he took care of his body and was always slender and he could dance and always put on a great show. Elvis towards the end was a trainwreck, nothing more and nothing less.

Just being honest. All you have to do is see the HIStory opening video to see who is the true King in music here. Every kid knows the moonwalk. Mention Elvis and they make fat jokes. In fact at a local fair, they were doing sketches of celebrities. Every single celebrity had been sketched and the sketches were for sale. There were several of Michael - I bought them all, hundreds of dollars worth of these sketches because they are magnificent artwork, truly, done by the hands of incredible Chinese artists.

Anyway, everyone from JFK to Charlie Sheen had been sketched and on sale. I looked around. No Elvis. I asked "Where's Elvis?" and they pointed me over to a small corner of their stall, where a sketch of a bloated 350 lb CBS Special Elvis was there. It was meticulously drawn, the features were perfect - too perfect. They spared no mercy in drawing that paunch or even the sweat stains on his sundial suit.

Needless to say I was horrified and didn't buy it. This is just a reality check of how the general public sees Elvis. Yes people call Michael a child molester but fewer and fewer are. I go everywhere in my city, even to the coastline, and there is one woman or man with a Michael Jackson t-shirt. I have only ever seen one person with Elvis' face printed on a person item of theirs ... a young woman in a gelato store was sitting with an Elvis purse with real jewels all over it forming his face. I thought "Wow, finally, that's cool". Then her 80 year old grandmother comes over and takes the purse. It was hers. LOL.

I love both Elvis and Michael Jackson but I prefer Michael Jackson. Oh and the King of Rock 'n Roll is Chuck Berry, no debate.

Black men rule when it comes to music, the sooner you all accept this fact the sooner we can move on, get off stage and let the black folk take the music that they invented back 100% and we white people can go back to playing fiddles and singing about leprechauns, fairies, apple pie and beer like we did before we stole the black man's music.
Luke Tieppo

Perth, Australia

#4585 Apr 9, 2014
Just to clarify, when I said everywhere I go in my city there is one person wearing an MJ t-shirt or something, I meant to type there is *at least* one. Often it is about a dozen. Everyone from 80 year old men to toddlers, I even see dogs with Michael Jackson "shirts".
Luke Tieppo

Perth, Australia

#4586 Apr 9, 2014
nick wrote:
There's no debate; Michael Jackson was a pedophile.
He was proven innocent of all the charges brought against him. And they wanted to get him bad. Tom Sneddon is a cold man. All the fat wadjila wanted to get him so bad but they couldn't.
FYI

United States

#4587 Apr 9, 2014
@Luke Tieppo:

MJ was skinny as a broomstick, wore a fake wig and lipstick and sometimes looked like an extra from The Planet of The Apes movie. Elvis on his worst day looked much better than him. Stop playing the race card too.
FYI

United States

#4588 Apr 9, 2014
Luke Tieppo wrote:
<quoted text>
He was proven innocent of all the charges brought against him. And they wanted to get him bad. Tom Sneddon is a cold man. All the fat wadjila wanted to get him so bad but they couldn't.
In the end karma got him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elvis Presley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elvis Presley Eclipses Michael Jackson (Jul '09) 16 hr Nycitiman 53,064
News He'll Always Be Elvis: Remembering the 'King' 4... Jul 23 Black Hair Dye 3
Elvis was a Closed Homosexual (Aug '07) Jul 22 Mustang 1,364
Charlie Hodge (Jan '08) Jul 22 spp 65
News Love me slumber - " Elvis' pyjamas to go under ... Jul 21 Lee 1
Burial Plots at Graceland (Aug '09) Jul 21 Lee 77
sonny west`s betrayal. (Aug '11) Jul 21 Lee 235
More from around the web