New RIAA Album Awards For Elvis

Sep 26, 2011 Full story: Elvis Presley E-zine 33

These latest awards bring Elvis' overall total of awarded album sales in the U.S.A. to 133 million.Breaking this down he has 89 GOLD albums, 50 PLATINUM albums, 25 MULTI-PLATINUM Albums and 1 DIAMOND album.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jerry

Van Alstyne, TX

#1 Sep 26, 2011
FANTASTIC!!!!!! He deserves MANY MORE!!!!
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

#2 Sep 26, 2011
I'm checking the RIAA website every day now, since the Presley estate has allowed the RIAA to publish the up dates, or new certification irrespective of whether we are in Elvis week, or not. In the past, they had asked the RIAA to withhold the data because there would be some kind of announcement at Gracelnd, of several awards, either i january or in August, in front of the fans, etc. But now the RIAA just announced two certification, one on the 9th, for the FDiamond award, and another on the 15th, for the last five.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#3 Sep 27, 2011
So much for the theory of bias against Elvis by the RIAA!!

Good news indeed.
nina

Surrey, Canada

#4 Sep 27, 2011
I don't think there's a bias

I just think that the rules are arbitrary

and the disadvantage that Elvis experiences is the same that everyone does

1.1 million sales is the same as 1.9 million

in terms of certification

but the real disadvantage that Elvis has is that he's dead so there's less incentive for his label to do anything to have his sales really compete with current acts

but that Elvis does compete against the living and is hiding his own for a guy who's been dead 30+ years and without the marketing support given to the living

what artist today can expect to continue getting certified that long after they are dead?
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

#5 Sep 27, 2011
You're totally right, Nina, and in Elvis' case, because of the market strategy of his label, he loses tens of millions in unaccounted sales. He's got 89 certified albums, but all the sales from the remaining 230 albums do not count. Let's say they "only" sold 100,000, each, which is a super conservative estimate. That's 100,000 multiplied by 230, or 23 million in unaccounted, but nevertheless audited sales. Also, the sales over 500,000, of the 89 albums inus the 50 that have reached platinum, in other words, the sales of over 500,000 in respect of 39 albums (89 minus 50), DO NOT COUNT until they each reaches a million. Here, assuming the've sold an average of 750,000, amounts to 250,000 multiplied by 39, or closde to 10 million.
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

#6 Sep 27, 2011
In other words, that alone would give Elvis his 133, plus another 40 million, for a total of 174 million. They are audited, yet remain unaccounted, because the RIAA only counts those that are at exactly 500,000, exactly 1,000,000, exactly 2,000,000 and so on and so forth. It would be nice for the RIAA to have a silver award, for sales of say, 250,000 but that would cost a tremendous amount of money, for the RIAA, since thousands upon thousands of awards, would have to be made.
nina

Surrey, Canada

#7 Sep 27, 2011
and other artists also experience that

sale of each album certified and the certifications totalled

is different than total sales

part of the challenge of Elvis is that he's had more official titles than anyone else

so he's competing with himself
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

#8 Sep 27, 2011
That's right

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#9 Sep 27, 2011
nina wrote:
I don't think there's a bias
I just think that the rules are arbitrary
and the disadvantage that Elvis experiences is the same that everyone does
Correct. The idea of RIAA bias against Elvis is pure paranoia. The facts simply do not bear out the theory.

And the idea of "media" bias against Elvis is also nonsense. There are some in the media who don't like him - that is to be expected. But the reports about Elvis - which continue every week - are almost always positive. Googling "Elvis Presley" on their News feed clearly shows this.
nina wrote:
what artist today can expect to continue getting certified that long after they are dead?
Very few; and certainly none at the same rate as Elvis.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#10 Apr 10, 2013
All Elvis Presley fans are extremely frustrated and angry at this miscarriage of justice brought about by the RIAA record sales tabulations. They are still over 85 albums that need gold or platinum certification.Namely,(It happened at the worlds fair) and (Fun in Acapulco)movie soundtracks albums that hit Billboard top ten in the early 1960's. Moreover there is a factual note that sales of albums after his death were virtually unaccounted for in the RIAA total accumulations. A listing of all his albums released in the United States make note of the sorry state of affairs in correlation to the totality of his record sales not being accounted for.
nick

Saint Albert, Canada

#11 Apr 10, 2013
Well said VICTOR and so true.
nick

Saint Albert, Canada

#12 Apr 11, 2013
I checked today RIAA counts stands 134.5 million records sold.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13 Apr 11, 2013
Thanks Nick for your observation. Let me add that Presley fans such as myself have being disputing the erroneous validity of the totality of his record sales singled out by the RIAA. I believe that it is only a matter of time when this record sales tabulation is corrected, as in 1992 when he was awarded 110 gold and platinum record awards posthumously by the Recording Industry Association of America. Moreover and to reiterate, once all of his album sales have been properly certified and accounted for, then they will be no dispute in divulging that Elvis Aaron Presley is the greatest recording act in the history of popular music. bar none.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14 Apr 11, 2013
Thanks Nick for your observation. Let me add that
many Presley fans such as myself have been disputing the erroneous validity of the album sales tabulation. I believe that it is only a matter of time before the RIAA properly certifies the album sales that need to be certified in sales. Moreover this issue will be address much like 1992 when Elvis was awarded 110 gold and platinum records posthumously. Then they shall be no dispute or controversy in divulging that Elvis Aaron Presley is the greatest recording act in the history of popular Music. Bar none.
Dennis Hauser

United States

#15 Apr 11, 2013
These latest awards bring Elvis' overall total of awarded album sales in the U.S.A. to 133 million.Breaking this down he has 89 GOLD albums, 50 PLATINUM albums, 25 MULTI-PLATINUM Albums and 1 DIAMOND album.

Amazing!! Yet, it still doesn't seem like enough or the correct amount! The walls of gold records are so impressive, makes one proud to be an Elvis fan!
nick

Saint Albert, Canada

#16 Apr 12, 2013
134.5 millions sold according RIAA music association.
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

#17 Apr 12, 2013
The main problem with the RIAA count is that it only adds the totals once the tallies reach 500,000, then 1,000,000, then 2.000.000, then 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 million and so on and so forth.

For an artist with over 300 albums circulating in the US market, even if only 80, or 90 of them are mainly in actual citculation, this translates into the largest loss of in-between levels of any artoits in the history of recorded sound.

Yes, he has 134.5 million addeed to his tally, but how many tens of millions of units sold, and accounted for, and actually audited, are not counted in? With 100 of his albums, give or take a few, already over 500,000, there's still 200 albums whose sales are not included. Assuming he sold 250,000 for each of those, that's 50 million albums.

Even if we lower that to 100,000 copies for each, that gives you 10 million.

Then, there's the matter of the in between levels. Since 50 of his albums are Platinum, the other 50 remain Gold, so let's say that they sold 750,000, the middle point between 500,000 and 1,000,000.

That means another 50 albums whose lost sales of 250,000 are not counted in. Thats' another 12,500,000.

Imagine as go up the levels. B

ut just in those two levels, there's a loss of a high of 60 million and a low of 22,500,000 which would be added to the 134.5 million.

In rreality, Presley has sold at least say, 134.5 plus say, 50 million, that's 184 million, again, only counting the losses incurred in the first two in between levels.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#18 Apr 12, 2013
A problem of immense proportions with the Independently audited figures given to the RIAA for certification is the accrued lost sales established by RCA 2 years after Elvis death. RCA records(Presley's record label) which headquarters were based in Indianapolis Indiana, issued numerous press releases in regards to the astronomical amount of Elvis Presley records being sold in the United States. RCA was using the pressing plants of other record companies to keep up with the enormous demand by the public for his recordings. Moreover the sales tabulations have been on filed by RCA records and never submitted to the RIAA for sales certification. It is estimated that he sold 200 million albums worldwide the four months after his passing,with 80 million albums sold in the United States alone. This makes the 134.5 figure seem nonsensical. I am hoping one day that this erroneous figure can finally be corrected by the RIAA. Moreover I am also hoping that all his remaining albums and singles not certified or tabulated in sales by the RIAA can be formally accounted for. This will finally give legitimacy and respect to the Recording Industry Association of America.
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

#19 Apr 12, 2013
RCA will have to answer, too, vis a vis the IRS, perhaps...
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#21 Apr 14, 2013
That is right, Mr. Burrows, in fact Colonel Tom Parker (Presley's late manager) was investigated in 1981 when it appeared that he was not acting in the Presley family's best interest. It took an attorney named Blanchard Tual to follow up with an investigation that removed Parker as the financial manager and executor of the Presley estate. RCA was also penalized for among other infractions in not disclosing the amount of Presley records sold in the United States and abroad. Moreover in 1982 It was announced in a press clipping coupled with a Washington Post story that Elvis Presley had sold over one billion records in all formats. Mr. Burrows, this is why it is so painful to read about the small fraction of his record sales (134.5)presently tabulated and accounted for by the RIAA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elvis Presley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) 1 hr dreamingofelvis 12,781
Michael Jackson Tops Forbes' List Of Top-Earnin... 3 hr An NFL Fan 64
New Elvis book: "Channeling Elvis" 21 hr AllenW 49
Elvis, in his own words: Reason why he and Pris... (Dec '12) Mon Lee 25
10 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Michael... Oct 18 goodvibrations 35
elvis last photo taken (Nov '06) Oct 17 dreamingofelvis 190
elvis presley stuff for sale. Oct 17 Mandy Robinson18 1

Elvis Presley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE