Elvis, in his own words: Reason why he and Priscilla divorced.

Posted in the Elvis Presley Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim

Somerdale, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Maybe this video has been discussed in the past; however, I thought I would post it because Elvis discusses why he and Priscilla divorced and makes it clear that he and Priscilla still cared for each other and that there were no hard feelings. Notice that Elvis makes clear that the divorce did not happen because of cheating. It sounds to me like Elvis' is serious and is certainly not vague about why he and Priscilla divorced.

Here is what Elvis said:
“...No. The thing I’m trying to get across is that…ah…we’re the very best of friends and we always have been—our divorce came about not because of another man or another woman, but because of the circumstances involving my career. I was traveling too much, I was gone too much and it was just an agreement—that I didn’t think it was fair to her because I was gone so much and everything. So, I therefore, as decently you can do that type of thing, we just made an agreement to her, to always be friends and be close and care because we have a daughter to raise, and for her to have whatever she wanted as a settlement. After the settlement then it came out ….. You know. Well, after that, I got her a mink coat (I know it. I’m talking about the mink coat. You hang loose over there)…the XK Jag, after the settlement, I just gave it to her—She got me—Listen to this—Tonight, a $42,000 white Rolls Royce.(clapping) That’s the type of relationship that we have, you know. And Ah…It’s not a bad setup, is it fellas?(Elvis laughs) You know, I mean, I got a part of it back anyway (Elvis laughs). I wasn’t hurtin’ too bad, but I mean, Ah…I did get a good part of it back—You know—She loved the car—I got this out of a gesture of love [Priscilla bought the Rolls Royce as a gesture of love for Elvis] and she likes the Stuts I have—It’s not a car, it’s a Stuts…”
King Elvis

Marrickville, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

He said that on stage. What else would he say?

Plus, he was drugged out of his mind there.
Jim

Somerdale, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

King Elvis wrote:
He said that on stage. What else would he say?
Plus, he was drugged out of his mind there.
Point is, he didn't have to say anything. He was on stage, not doing an interview. And he certainly sounded coherent to me. Very doubtful Elvis would have said what he did if he didn't mean it, especially when he didn't have to say anything.
MsDalton

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

I believe there was a lot of truth in Elvis's statement, its just that he left out that they both HAD INDEED kinda went separate ways as to their marriage vows not being upheld. Both were guilty of the same thing in my opinion. It was a nice thing for him to say too.

In 1970 when he supposedly told Kathy he and Priscilla had an OPEN MARRIAGE, I think he told the truth as they had spent a lot of time apart. He knew what was coming - both of them did.
Lee

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

MsDalton wrote:
I believe there was a lot of truth in Elvis's statement, its just that he left out that they both HAD INDEED kinda went separate ways as to their marriage vows not being upheld. Both were guilty of the same thing in my opinion. It was a nice thing for him to say too.
In 1970 when he supposedly told Kathy he and Priscilla had an OPEN MARRIAGE, I think he told the truth as they had spent a lot of time apart. He knew what was coming - both of them did.
For his ego's sake, I guess, he was trying to say that there had been mutual agreement. There was no mutual agreement. She walked out on him, shacked up with Mike Stone, and the MM said Elvis was sobbing and cursing in his room for weeks. That he LITTERALY tried to "climb the walls". He was terribly, terribly hurt and betrayed. Not to mention the blow to his ego.

He had no voice or choice in it.

King Elvis

Epping, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

... and still the crickets chirp away ...

And Fat Lonely Lee keeps raving, and no one cares ...
Lee

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

King Elvis wrote:
Two things I have never been in my life is bored or lonely. There is just too much to do.

King Elvis

Epping, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Two things I have never been in my life is bored or lonely. There is just too much to do.
Guess that's why you never have time to give references or links to any of your FATuous claims.
MsDalton

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

I'm sure elvis did cry when Priscilla left him. Even if they were not together she was the mother of his child and he had known her since she was a child.

So of course he felt betrayed - although now remember he had dated Ann Margaret, Linda Thompson and Kathy Westmoreland before Priscilla asked for t he divorce to be with Mike. She knew she was sharing him.

In his heart he knew it too - many people have stated that her parents threatened him to ruin his reputation if he didn't marry her - he told Marty he didn't wanna marry her and even told a cook at Graceland. Elvis knew she'd eventually desert him as he just had to have more than woman that he cared for and could talk to and be friends with too. So he felt like it hurt his reputation of being such a macho lover, etc. to have her walk out on him. He cried a lot when his Mom passed too - and I believed he probably cried about things we'll never know - he was moody and sad and sick and confused and GOT SO BORED, then unhappy with his looks also. He liked to talk a lot about spiritual quests and he was quoted as telling her CILLA we'll never make it as you are not interested in the things that I am very interested in.

So anyway - Cilla and Lisa and many of the people who knew him have made millions from his name so guess a lot of people are happy huh?
Debbie

Wellesley Hills, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

I think he really did love and care for cilla and he wanted to marry her . He could not be be with just her he had to have it all and I think that not fair to her .he knew what would happen to him and her at the end and to this day they still love each other very much and it hurt priscilla to walk away from her true love !!!!
Lee

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

MsDalton wrote:
I'm sure elvis did cry when Priscilla left him. Even if they were not together she was the mother of his child and he had known her since she was a child.
So of course he felt betrayed - although now remember he had dated Ann Margaret, Linda Thompson and Kathy Westmoreland before Priscilla asked for t he divorce to be with Mike. She knew she was sharing him.
In his heart he knew it too - many people have stated that her parents threatened him to ruin his reputation if he didn't marry her - he told Marty he didn't wanna marry her and even told a cook at Graceland. Elvis knew she'd eventually desert him as he just had to have more than woman that he cared for and could talk to and be friends with too. So he felt like it hurt his reputation of being such a macho lover, etc. to have her walk out on him. He cried a lot when his Mom passed too - and I believed he probably cried about things we'll never know - he was moody and sad and sick and confused and GOT SO BORED, then unhappy with his looks also. He liked to talk a lot about spiritual quests and he was quoted as telling her CILLA we'll never make it as you are not interested in the things that I am very interested in.
So anyway - Cilla and Lisa and many of the people who knew him have made millions from his name so guess a lot of people are happy huh?
He was not married to Priscilla when he was dating Ann Margret. Linda herself has said that she did not even meet Elvis until after Priscilla was gone. And didn't even have sex with him for many months after that. As for Kathy, I read her book and some say she said she had an affair with Elvis while he was married, when I read the book I was thinking her timeline was off but I'll have to reread it.
Susie

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Hello. I have watched alot of their home movies. You could see the love between them. Nice looking couple. Priscilla is a neat lady. Good business lady too. I'm sure Elvis was upset about their divorce after being together so long.Very special people.

God Bless ,Susie
bubba

Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

He said on stage he didnt drink or smoke but still there are pics of him smoking
Gabriela

Peru

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

Judged:

King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess that's why you never have time to give references or links to any of your FATuous claims.
hey worm write many stupid things I'm sure you're the fat are full of fat especially in the brain that will not let you think, all your comments are stupid and hateful envy ...Elvis death worm is King was the most handsome man , handsome beautiful planet , had a unique style that nobody will match ever ... your comment shit nobody cares , do not mess with Elvis because you crushed like a bug !

Elvis Forever KING THE REST ARE ONLY IMITATORS !!!!!!!
Gabriela

Peru

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

King Elvis wrote:

King Elvis:
hey worm write many stupid things I'm sure you're the fat are full of fat especially in the brain that will not let you think, all your comments are stupid and hateful envy ...Elvis death worm is King was the most handsome man , handsome beautiful planet , had a unique style that nobody will match ever ... your comment shit nobody cares , do not mess with Elvis because you crushed like a bug !

Elvis Forever KING THE REST ARE ONLY IMITATORS !!!!!!!
Gabriela

Peru

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

Judged:

Jim wrote:
Maybe this video has been discussed in the past; however, I thought I would post it because Elvis discusses why he and Priscilla divorced and makes it clear that he and Priscilla still cared for each other and that there were no hard feelings. Notice that Elvis makes clear that the divorce did not happen because of cheating. It sounds to me like Elvis' is serious and is certainly not vague about why he and Priscilla divorced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0X6Pn-Q7QzoXX
Here is what Elvis said:
<quoted text>
 Sounds good to me that Elvis has resolved its porblema with priscilla of the most intelligent and civilized manner , it is a role I applaud Elvis by this action , was a good father before nothing thought about the happiness of his daughter , that's admirable and that speaks of the great human being that was ... couples today live fighting and do not mind their children , either by Elvis I'm glad you have discussed this topic did not know q interesting to hear from his own mouth and malintensionados not the gossip that have circulated for years in networks than good q ... put this issue I congratulate every day sirprendo me over the vitudes know Elvis was a big as an artist and as a human being too.
Rose

Brighton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2014

Judged:

PECute wrote:
<quoted text>
hey Lee, I have read so many of your post and agree with u. But the blow to his ego part I don't get. it can't b his ego coz he was not egocentric. U see as ego is always connected to pride and selfish & we both agree that he was not at all full of pride & neither he was selfish. It was his trust, beliefs and heart that was hurt. It's just that I have the problem with that Ego word dear coz it is usually in lay man term considered to be negative.....I hope u too agree with it. so let's say his heart or trust. coz wen u r in true love u put or heart before ego. And u will also agree dear that he really did loved her. it's just that I too have been betrayed and it was not blow to my ego but blow to my trust,my world,my beliefs. please don't mind but I dint liked the negative word being associated with him..... hope u too agree. in the end I would say I really like your post very much and makes me feel good that I m not the only one who wants to defend Elvis
In one post, Lee will say the Memphis Mafia are liars, and you should not believe a word they say. Then in the next post, she is quoting what they have said. Make up your mind Lee, you only believe what they say when it suits your ramblings
letha brown

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2014

Judged:

It's a shame. How her parents and parker had elvis. To honor his commentment so they sa. He made it. When he was still trying to deal with his mother deth and his career. He should have been able to chose ann - margaret if that what. He wanted. I doo not belireve elvis was ready for marriage. He was cheated all way round. Syre hope pris and mom n dasd can sleep at night. For what they did. I am 70 yrs old same as pris. And I have been a fsn si nce I was 14.
dreamingofelvis

Parkville, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2014

Judged:

After Priscilla asked for the divorce, Elvis, on next seeing one of his long time friends told him what she wanted.
His friend responded with, "you know it's because she wants you to change. Are you going to? Elvis replied, "Hell no, I 'aint changing for anybody".
Elvis was just saving face when he said what he said on stage, because he didn't want the mother of his child being thought badly of by the public.
He was not intimately involved with anyone UNTIL he became aware of Priscilla's cheating. She even said that he took a lie detector test to prove that.
dreamingofelvis

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2014

Judged:

I think it's funny how Elvis says, that she'd bought him the Rolls Royce.
It was HIS money that she'd bought it with!
Virtually every dollar she ever had in her life, apart from her acting roles, came courtesy of Elvis
On the day, he was told that she was going to sue for a bigger divorce settlement, he called her every name under the sun, and then some!
DOE,

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Elvis Presley Forum right now

Search the Elvis Presley Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Post Elvis songs in here. (Aug '12) 42 min Prufex 109
Who's the best Elvis impersonator? (Dec '07) 1 hr King Elvis 117
Priscilla Didn't Love Elvis (Nov '07) 3 hr Lee 108
Anyone recognize this Elvis TCB applique and wh... (Oct '08) 14 hr Gwen Perkins 4
Elvis Presley Hated Cats (Jun '10) Aug 17 faith 1228 140
Ginger Alden selling engagement ring (Oct '09) Aug 17 Susan 282
for linda hood sigmon,,,,paul monroe the nut job! (Mar '11) Aug 17 tara lynn 26
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••