150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 20 comments on the Dec 6, 2008, talk.livedaily.com story titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Lee

Burbank, CA

#10605 Mar 20, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
The MM spoke of Elvis finding Gary on the floor in his parents house.
I think this happened sometime in the mid 1960's.
I know Elvis employed Gary's father as a gate guard.
Anyway, Gary was the president of the Elvis tankers fan club.
I've read that Vernon stopped payment to Gary when Elvis died.
Elvis certainly never used Gary to pat himself on the back.
It was something that Elvis wanted to do because he cared.
It is no big deal but Elvis remained friends with Gary for years.
Elvis can be heard saying hello to Gary on a soundboard recording.
Memphis, July 5th 1976.
I do not know who Beth Peace is.
Gary died before Elvis did, didn't he?

Beth Peace waa Gary's nurse or caregiver.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10606 Mar 20, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Gary died before Elvis did, didn't he?
Beth Peace waa Gary's nurse or caregiver.
Gary Pepper died in 1980.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10607 Mar 20, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Gary Pepper died in 1980.
That's terrible. I thought he died before Elvis did. He could have been spared all the terrible scandal that took place then. I wish he had never had to see that.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10608 Mar 20, 2013
How could Vernon do that? Heartless. I wonder how Gary got along after that?

Location hidden

#10609 Mar 20, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>That's terrible. I thought he died before Elvis did. He could have been spared all the terrible scandal that took place then. I wish he had never had to see that.
A couple of years ago, somebody told me that Gary was ripped off.

A caregiver or nurse stole the stuff Elvis had given Gary Pepper.

I assume that Gary's parents were long dead.

It pisses me off that someone might've taken advantage of Gary.

If that's even true.

I remember the 20/20 Elvis cover up and Dr Nick being interviewed.

I never thought any less of Elvis because of his drug addiction.

And I was only a kid then.

I've accepted it and I've always remained an Elvis fan.

It is not something that bothered me too much.

Elvis didn't have to be a perfect man. He was an entertainer.

Of course, other rock stars have done drugs and died from them.

And no one says anything about it.

But for some reason, Elvis still gets criticized for his own death.

No one attacks Marilyn Monroe for her drug addiction, do they?

Or Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and many others...

It is bullshit.

Location hidden

#10610 Mar 20, 2013
Lee wrote:
How could Vernon do that? Heartless. I wonder how Gary got along after that?
Vernon thought that Elvis wasted his money.

Vernon never liked the fact that Elvis gave his money away.

Yet, he willingly signed a new contract with Col Parker.

I don't know who watched out for Gary after Elvis died.

It is pretty pathetic that someone would steal from a disabled man.

And turn around and sell his Elvis collection that Elvis gave him.
King Elvis

Doonside, Australia

#10611 Mar 20, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>No, it does not only apply in science, you idiot. It applies in law, too, and in everything else.
That is why in court, the defendant does not have to prove he did not commit the crime, the prosecution has to prove he did. Because you cannot prove a negative.
You just have no idea about anything, do you Fatty?

No.

Fcking.

Idea.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10612 Mar 20, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of years ago, somebody told me that Gary was ripped off.
A caregiver or nurse stole the stuff Elvis had given Gary Pepper.
I assume that Gary's parents were long dead.
It pisses me off that someone might've taken advantage of Gary.
If that's even true.
I remember the 20/20 Elvis cover up and Dr Nick being interviewed.
I never thought any less of Elvis because of his drug addiction.
And I was only a kid then.
I've accepted it and I've always remained an Elvis fan.
It is not something that bothered me too much.
Elvis didn't have to be a perfect man. He was an entertainer.
Of course, other rock stars have done drugs and died from them.
And no one says anything about it.
But for some reason, Elvis still gets criticized for his own death.
No one attacks Marilyn Monroe for her drug addiction, do they?
Or Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and many others...
It is bullshit.
Those things are true. Elvis gets beat up worse for every little thing, much less the drugs. But that's not what I meant. I hate that Gary had to see Elvis treated so unfairly, trashed so viciously, as he was right after his death. I think it probably upset him deeply the same as it did us. He had enough to worry about.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10613 Mar 20, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You just have no idea about anything, do you Fatty?
No.
Fcking.
Idea.
You cannot prove a negative. You have said that yourself, dummy.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#10615 Mar 20, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah that's true Octo. It seem negative crap sells and that's how jackass Goldman makes his money. He did it to Elvis and John Lennon and others. I hope Karma comes back on his sorry ass.That's why I liked the Beatles Anthology tapes because they got to tell their stry in their own words. Too bad Elvis didn't have Anthology DVD's to set things straight. he was a good country boy and pretty religous in his Southern upbringing. it shows in his love for Gospel Music. also he had a love for the Black rhythm and blues. I wished he would of done more bluesy stuff. Steam Roller blues fit his style so well. How many Cadillacs do you think he gave away? I saw one recently sell for 16 thousand dollars on the Auction show. Bidding started at 5 thousand but quickly jumped up to 12 and finally 16 grand was the last bid that got it. I think it was a silver 1077 Coupe DeVille.
Elvis was seen by many as egostistical, but in reality he was very humble. That's why he was so generous. He actually didn't like being called "king". He said that Christ was his only king. It was estimated that he gave away around 80 cars of all brands in his lifetime. He often credited black R&B as well as black gospel for his success, as those musical influences were the greatest in his life. Elvis, when he was much younger, would attend some of the all black church services in Memphis. He felt more of a spiritual connection in those churches. When he died, James Brown attended his funeral. Brown said that he hoped to someday see Elvis in heaven. I hope he did.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10616 Mar 20, 2013
King Elvis,`ELVIS;WHAT HAPPENED'may of had SOME truth,but the scope of this book was very narrow,only concentrating on the NEGATIVE aspects of Elvis's last days,not putting ANY emphasis on the positive things Elvis continued to do to the end of his life,let's put the end of Elvis in perspective;when his wife Priscilla left him on New Year's eve of 1972,also taking little Lisa Marie with her,it was a terrible blow,multiplied by the fact that she was having an affair with Mike stone,who was also a `friend',or so he thought.If this never happened,Elvis would not have gotten depressed,or gotten overweight,or abused pills,or would have died at 42,PERIOD,if the breakup of his marriage didn't happen,ELVIS MIGHT STILL EVEN BE ALIVE TODAY,but Elvis was a very sensitive individual,and wasn't very emotionallly strong,and that was a big factor in his premature demise,sorry to say,peace out.

Location hidden

#10617 Mar 20, 2013
RICK wrote:
King Elvis,`ELVIS;WHAT HAPPENED'may of had SOME truth,but the scope of this book was very narrow,only concentrating on the NEGATIVE aspects of Elvis's last days,not putting ANY emphasis on the positive things Elvis continued to do to the end of his life,let's put the end of Elvis in perspective;when his wife Priscilla left him on New Year's eve of 1972,also taking little Lisa Marie with her,it was a terrible blow,multiplied by the fact that she was having an affair with Mike stone,who was also a `friend',or so he thought.If this never happened,Elvis would not have gotten depressed,or gotten overweight,or abused pills,or would have died at 42,PERIOD,if the breakup of his marriage didn't happen,ELVIS MIGHT STILL EVEN BE ALIVE TODAY,but Elvis was a very sensitive individual,and wasn't very emotionallly strong,and that was a big factor in his premature demise,sorry to say,peace out.
This book was garbage and contained many inconsistencies. I can't understand anyone allowing the breakup of a marriage, especially since he was still dating while he was married, to cause such tragic results. Elvis needed to take responsibility for his own weaknesses and suck it up. He had a child to raise and a very successful career. He should have gotten it together, made peace with Cilla and fired Tom Parker. Sadly none of that happened. I honestly think she would have reconsidered had he shown any selfcontrol at all.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10618 Mar 20, 2013
I agree with you,2kings daughter,I'm not excusing Elvis's behavior either,he was wrong in his behavior also,but 2 wrongs don't make a right,as the old saying goes,Elvis made a big mistake in marrying after he became famous,and also marrying fairly late,at age 32,when he was already set in his ways,he should have married BEFORE he became famous,maybe to his high school sweetheart Dixie Locke,BEFORE THE MASS SUCCESS AND THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS CLOUDED HIS WORLD,like Lee said,I don't envy the rich,peace out.

Location hidden

#10619 Mar 20, 2013
RICK wrote:
I agree with you,2kings daughter,I'm not excusing Elvis's behavior either,he was wrong in his behavior also,but 2 wrongs don't make a right,as the old saying goes,Elvis made a big mistake in marrying after he became famous,and also marrying fairly late,at age 32,when he was already set in his ways,he should have married BEFORE he became famous,maybe to his high school sweetheart Dixie Locke,BEFORE THE MASS SUCCESS AND THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS CLOUDED HIS WORLD,like Lee said,I don't envy the rich,peace out.
And lets not forget that back then there were no real treatment centers for drugs and alcohol addiction, not to mention reliable marriage counseling. I can't imagine going from welfare to being the most famous singer in the world.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10620 Mar 20, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah that's true Octo. It seem negative crap sells and that's how jackass Goldman makes his money. He did it to Elvis and John Lennon and others. I hope Karma comes back on his sorry ass.That's why I liked the Beatles Anthology tapes because they got to tell their stry in their own words. Too bad Elvis didn't have Anthology DVD's to set things straight. he was a good country boy and pretty religous in his Southern upbringing. it shows in his love for Gospel Music. also he had a love for the Black rhythm and blues. I wished he would of done more bluesy stuff. Steam Roller blues fit his style so well. How many Cadillacs do you think he gave away? I saw one recently sell for 16 thousand dollars on the Auction show. Bidding started at 5 thousand but quickly jumped up to 12 and finally 16 grand was the last bid that got it. I think it was a silver 1077 Coupe DeVille.
Goldman died of a heart attack some years ago. Too bad. I was hoping something much worse would happen to him. Maybe some loving Elvis fan would drop him in a vat of hot oil.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10621 Mar 20, 2013
2kingsdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>This book was garbage and contained many inconsistencies. I can't understand anyone allowing the breakup of a marriage, especially since he was still dating while he was married, to cause such tragic results. Elvis needed to take responsibility for his own weaknesses and suck it up. He had a child to raise and a very successful career. He should have gotten it together, made peace with Cilla and fired Tom Parker. Sadly none of that happened. I honestly think she would have reconsidered had he shown any selfcontrol at all.
If you love someone enough, and they betray you so badly, it can break you.

He did try to make peace with Priscilla. Was very positive about her, but that was what he presented to the world.

I have always said that Priscilla married Elvis already planning to divorce him, get the name and money and then go into show business. That is my OPINION. Larry Geller said that Elvis confided to him that HE thought that, too. Elvis figured it out. Can you imagine how hurtful it was to know that the love of your life did that to you???

Poppa Jivebones

Everett, WA

#10622 Mar 20, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Goldman died of a heart attack some years ago. Too bad. I was hoping something much worse would happen to him. Maybe some loving Elvis fan would drop him in a vat of hot oil.
I didn't know that Lee. I guess he got what was coming to him. Karma gave him bad health but I like the vat of hot oil idea better. LOL

Location hidden

#10623 Mar 20, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>If you love someone enough, and they betray you so badly, it can break you.
He did try to make peace with Priscilla. Was very positive about her, but that was what he presented to the world.
I have always said that Priscilla married Elvis already planning to divorce him, get the name and money and then go into show business. That is my OPINION. Larry Geller said that Elvis confided to him that HE thought that, too. Elvis figured it out. Can you imagine how hurtful it was to know that the love of your life did that to you???
No.
Poppa Jivebones

Everett, WA

#10624 Mar 20, 2013
I don't imagine it was ever easy being Elvis. After he became famous women flocked to him and that could put pressure on any married guy. He had people to do anything he asked them to do including getting sleeping pills and pills to help him get up and get going again. The uppers and downers and all the people that were cling ons and spounging off of Elvis and his own personal Drive to keep performing even though his health wasn't good was what caused him to die before his time. He will always remain the most famous singer from the 50's era just like John Lennon and George Harrison will both be remembered as two of the greatest from the 60's era.

Location hidden

#10625 Mar 20, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
I don't imagine it was ever easy being Elvis. After he became famous women flocked to him and that could put pressure on any married guy. He had people to do anything he asked them to do including getting sleeping pills and pills to help him get up and get going again. The uppers and downers and all the people that were cling ons and spounging off of Elvis and his own personal Drive to keep performing even though his health wasn't good was what caused him to die before his time. He will always remain the most famous singer from the 50's era just like John Lennon and George Harrison will both be remembered as two of the greatest from the 60's era.
I think he felt a great responsibility for so many people. He kept a lot of folks working and on payroll and if he didn't get out there and work they'd have to find another job. Tom Parker had amassed such a great gambling debt, that he had to deal with that too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elvis Presley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Music History for April 25, 2015 1 hr Privileges 1
Your Dislike for Priscilla (Aug '08) 8 hr Gahad 940
News Time to get All Shook Up for the King's 80th Bi... Apr 22 Ronnie 1
any infor on Priscila spanking Lisa Marie Apr 22 guest 1
elvis and real brother jesse (May '11) Apr 21 friend 38
Elvis Presley or Freddie Mercury: Who is the ul... (Jan '09) Apr 19 Billy Riley 40
Elvis disciplining Lisa Marie (Oct '13) Apr 14 guest 7
More from around the web