TV ratings: CBS and ABC split Thursday - 'CSI' is the night's m...

Full story: Zap2it.com 10
Ellen Pompeo of 'Grey's Anatomy' Fast National ratings for Thursday, April 23, 2009 The first night of sweeps was a busy one, with all the networks returning to original programming. Full Story
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#1 Apr 24, 2009
Interesting how the "extra competition" hurt Southland, but not Harper's Island.

Regardless, no matter the efforts of NBC PR, Southland is very far from being a hit.

Also, it wasn't a "split victory", no matter how much ABC wants to see it's #1, it was #2, plain and simple.

The rest, as always, is just PR spin.
Eric

United States

#2 Apr 24, 2009
Harper's Island already saw a sizeable ratings dip last week. ;)
Mike

Mississauga, Canada

#3 Apr 24, 2009
Ugh...private practice, seriously?
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#4 Apr 24, 2009
Eric wrote:
Harper's Island already saw a sizeable ratings dip last week. ;)
Absolutely.:) And unfortunately, this will surely be analyzed by network executives as a wholesale rejection of the miniseries format, when it's a wholesale rejection of a show that many, including me, found unappealing.

My issue is that somehow, Southland's dip is supposed to be explained by added competition when such competition doesn't seem to have an effect on HI...

Given that NBC's PR department was prepping the way for a dip in the ratings this week, I thought it was curious that the exact spin made its way into the article.

I can't wait to read Variety (aka Voice of the Studios) and see how they'll spin it as meaning that Southland is a huge hit.

The truth is somewhat more dire in that ER used to get the combined rating for all three network shows, and the reason there is so little viewership Thursdays at 10pm right now is the paucity of the offerings (and we know next year NBC will have [yawn] Jay Leno Thursday in that slot and the only thing we know for sure is that it won't attract 30 million viewers...)
NiNi

Kent, OH

#5 Apr 24, 2009
So please to see that Hell's Kitchen beats the much-hyped-little-watched 30 Rock!!
Richard

AOL

#6 Apr 24, 2009
Harper's Island is way too violent and needs to be canceled but with the Southland show, where is NBC going to put this, if it gets renewed, since Leno has that spot now?
johnd

AOL

#7 Apr 25, 2009
I could use a little more violence, so far these been more underware & bikinis than dead people. However seeing the horrid Hunter get his head blown off makes it all worth while.
Aaron R

Decatur, IL

#8 Apr 26, 2009
Southland will likely be held in reserve until the inevitable time that NBC realizes what a stupid mistake they made and get rid of Leno five nights a week. Barring that, I imagine Southland will do a bang-up job on USA, or whatever cable channel will take the show.

Although, given that the so-called "family hour" (which I'm not convinced has ever actually existed except in the minds of a few religious organizations that need to be fed BS every once in awhle to keep them quiet) no longer is in evidence in prime-time, they'll probably just move it an hour earlier if it makes the fall schedule. Hell, CSI is on at 9/8, and they have some of the most gruesome scenes on TV, so Southland certainly wouldn't be any worse. Except for the incessant bleeping, which got annoying after the first two minutes of the first episode. Either let them swear, or write better episodes that don't require profanity. Either way, it sounds like an Eminem song being played on Radio Disney.
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#9 Apr 26, 2009
Aaron R wrote:
Southland will likely be held in reserve until the inevitable time that NBC realizes what a stupid mistake they made and get rid of Leno five nights a week. Barring that, I imagine Southland will do a bang-up job on USA, or whatever cable channel will take the show.
Although, given that the so-called "family hour" (which I'm not convinced has ever actually existed except in the minds of a few religious organizations that need to be fed BS every once in awhle to keep them quiet) no longer is in evidence in prime-time, they'll probably just move it an hour earlier if it makes the fall schedule. Hell, CSI is on at 9/8, and they have some of the most gruesome scenes on TV, so Southland certainly wouldn't be any worse. Except for the incessant bleeping, which got annoying after the first two minutes of the first episode. Either let them swear, or write better episodes that don't require profanity. Either way, it sounds like an Eminem song being played on Radio Disney.
The bleeping is there so you know that you're watching something "edgy".

Of course if it was really "edgy" you wouldn't need it, would you? ;)
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#10 Apr 29, 2009
Once again, a few weeks without PR stunts have brought back The Office to its usual poor ratings.

Don't tell the good folk at NBC though, they still like to act as if it's some sort of hit... ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellen Pompeo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taylor Swift gets even more catty Jul '14 Anonymous 2
Ellen Pompeo refused to romance Isaiah Washingt... (Oct '13) Oct '13 racist swinehund 11
Ellen Pompeo Publicly Pounces On Hubby Chris Iv... (Mar '13) Mar '13 boogie121212 1
Ellen Pompeo nude ! (Jul '12) Jul '12 Angelo 1
Jessica Simpson Enjoys Baby Shower (Mar '12) May '12 Cindery 2
Grey's Anatomy Redux: Destiny Is Destiny, Even ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 fawad alam 1
Taylor Swift Talks About Her New Love: Her Kitten (Nov '11) Nov '11 albian retread 2

Ellen Pompeo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE