Was Cleopatra black?

Full story: Egyptology News

"Watching a local television program recently, I heard Spike Lee express his belief that Queen Cleopatra of Egypt was Black.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of2,495
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
OurEmpowermentCo m

Since: Dec 05

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 15, 2005
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Black by birth or not, she had no choice in that matter, However, where she had choice, where she made mature decisions was in the area of where she would live as an adult, what she would accept as her homeland, and who she would mate with.

Clearly, she choose to live in Africa, to be African, and my guess is, to bear African children with an African man. Does that sound like someone who want to be White/European, or someone that wants to be Black/African?
Taelor

Edinburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 26, 2006
 

Judged:

1

I think she was half black have mac. yeah, that's what i think. But her race does have a big part in her history, because of race in time today. Whatever she was she was a great queen.
Taelor

Edinburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 26, 2006
 

Judged:

1

OurEmpowermentCom wrote:
Black by birth or not, she had no choice in that matter, However, where she had choice, where she made mature decisions was in the area of where she would live as an adult, what she would accept as her homeland, and who she would mate with.

Clearly, she choose to live in Africa, to be African, and my guess is, to bear African children with an African man. Does that sound like someone who want to be White/European, or someone that wants to be Black/African?
I think she was half black half mac. race took a BIG part in her history too. Not only becasue of her accomplishments and stories on her, but its race too. I thought she was full african but i had to look at her time line a little. like the first Ptolemy, he was mac. and he probably had a mac. wife. But things liek this change and the next king could have had let's saw a chinesse wife.(Example) Whatever she was mac. or black i still look up to her as a role model for black women.
email me on this subject at: bow2taetae4eva@hotmail.com
Kenyaspeaks

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 24, 2006
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Queen Nefertiti was black.
Cleopatra was mixed and at best, macedonian.
Khemet (the original name for Egypt) was all black in the beginnings and because it was the center of EVERYTHING, it attracted people from all over the world for education, health, religious, etc. Even Jesus and Moses studied and learned about ONE GOD in Egypt.
So imagine America, 500 years ago. The people do not look anything like they did 500 years ago. So think about THOUSANDS OF YEARS of invasions and people just moving to Egypt to live and prosper much like everyone wants to come to America.
Give the USA country another 500 years and it will look completely half black like the mixed replacement that lives in Egypt today.
Desean Andurs

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 9, 2006
 

Judged:

1

1

I realy Know for a fact that the garden of eden was in africa,because the land was great in gold and diamonds, white can not make black so adam and eve was black,so was noah and his sons, ham the cursed one stayed in africa,at least before it was africa cause in the bible its called by ethiopia, and egypt,it was named africa in honer of a white man,just like jesus the lieing greek name,bottom line whites come from blacks learn science people,and when whites stay even a week in jamaica or something they turn what?
Desean Andurs

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 9, 2006
 
To finish my fact cleopatra was black i would never ever call any white lady queen of egypt,and iam sure the egyptian people would not as well,even if she was black and white her black strong traits,we know black skin is better i mean stronger than whites,now bob marley,holly berry,M.carry are known mixed people yet their black traits appear stronger,so if slavery was to begin they would be house slaves as well as cleopatra...civilization started in so called africa,greeks learned from us,later whites took it too the U.S. in fact the whites still everything they even got guns from asia,this would now start up slavery because guns are powerfull,one last thing a white person said how could the blacks even left in africa forget,well lets all look up willie lynch,its called being brain washed then when the future kids grow up and their history is replaced then hell thats all they know.
MrHarris

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 31, 2006
 

Judged:

2

1

I pose a question, what difference does it make if these people where a different race. Iím pretty sure Adam, Eve, Cleopatra, Jesus, or Jack the ripper has some tie to all races not just black and white. I'm pretty sure God didn't want us investigating the skin color or race of people but only to learn the lessons from when they lived. Thatís what history is all about learning from the past. When we look to the past to see how people live though segregation, hated, and one race dominated another not good. People died because people feel this race is this, this race is that. Instead of saying you live you life this way and Iíll live my life that way. We all have opinions, and very little evidence to prove other wise. Do you think that it possible that Adam and Eve are Hispanic???? This culture has a wonder blend of color ranging from crispy black to the snow white. It may sound silly but Iím pretty sure that Hispanics can find a little evidence that could prove that. I can also bet many races can too. For humans to be so alike in so many different ways its funny how we divide ourselves by using race, religion, sex preference, gender, creed, etcÖ Just so they brag about it, or taunt someone. Thatís what is really silly, but we all are entitled to an opinion.

Its all about love
Love, Peace, and a bottle of hair grease!!!!
midniteangel

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 2, 2006
 

Judged:

5

3

She was mostly Egyptian...who are not black what so ever. Especially for those times...Blacks were truely from Africa...period!
wde01

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 3, 2006
 
midniteangel wrote:
She was mostly Egyptian...who are not black what so ever. Especially for those times...Blacks were truely from Africa...period!
Egypt was mostly black in ancient times,but Cleopatra`s dynasty was of Greek/Macedonian descent; they were just another in a series of foriegn rulers,stretching from the Assyrians to the Arab invasions approximately 600 years ago. Most of the current "Egyptians" are descended from these arab invaders and bear no resemblance to the people who built the Pyramids and forged the world`s first great empire.
nooney

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 4, 2006
 

Judged:

1

1

1

cleopatra was a greek woman ruling over a mostly african population. her ancestor was the greek general ptolemy who took over egypt after the death of alexander the great. ptolemy, who had a greek wife, had his family adopt the pharaohic practice of brother-sister marriages. the ptolemaic line lasted for nearly 300 years with cleopatra being the last of this dynasty and a product of several generations of brother-sister marriages. it is doubtful that much outside genetic material got into the dynasty. if anything cleopatra may have had a drop of 'black blood' but for the most part she was of greek heredity.
david

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 4, 2006
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Question, why does it matter if Cleo was black or white or even Greek? It wasn't black folk who began race wars. Black people did not insist on white inferiority with proof positive of all the "black" inventions, scholarly work, historical dynasties etc. etc.
In school I was indoctrinated on all the wonders and achievements of whites, and few to none about blacks.---It was a big deal then. Conversely, the other shoe has dropped, the world recognizes the brillance of blacks; and whites respond with "okay, so what does it matter what race did this or that, let's move on"
ironic.
Marina Ditzich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 10, 2006
 

Judged:

2

Kenyaspeaks wrote:
Queen Nefertiti was black.
Cleopatra was mixed and at best, macedonian.
Khemet (the original name for Egypt) was all black in the beginnings and because it was the center of EVERYTHING, it attracted people from all over the world for education, health, religious, etc. Even Jesus and Moses studied and learned about ONE GOD in Egypt.
So imagine America, 500 years ago. The people do not look anything like they did 500 years ago. So think about THOUSANDS OF YEARS of invasions and people just moving to Egypt to live and prosper much like everyone wants to come to America.
Give the USA country another 500 years and it will look completely half black like the mixed replacement that lives in Egypt today.
None of the Egyptian Ptolemy Dynasty, which at least includes Cleopatra were negroid. The Ptolemies became the Pharaohs of Egypts when Alexander the Great invaded Egypt. Ptolemy remained as Pharaohs. The Ptolemys were originally from Greece and since they intermarried with their siblings it is impossible that they were negroid.

Note also that not all inhabitants of northern Africa are negroid even if dark skinned.
lala

Ellicott City, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 18, 2006
 

Judged:

3

1

OurEmpowermentCom wrote:
Black by birth or not, she had no choice in that matter, However, where she had choice, where she made mature decisions was in the area of where she would live as an adult, what she would accept as her homeland, and who she would mate with.
Clearly, she choose to live in Africa, to be African, and my guess is, to bear African children with an African man. Does that sound like someone who want to be White/European, or someone that wants to be Black/African?
Cleopatra was Mexican.
Tippi

Sebring, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 19, 2006
 

Judged:

1

Taelor wrote:
I think she was half black have mac. yeah, that's what i think. But her race does have a big part in her history, because of race in time today. Whatever she was she was a great queen.
She was very amoral and was at one point married to her own brother Ptolemy XIII, when after pushing her country into a war out of her own greed for more land, when all failed Cleopatra committed suicide living hundreds of thousands of her people to be enslaved by the victorious Roman Empire.
David- Houston

Little Elm, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 20, 2006
 

Judged:

1

1

1

david wrote:
Question, why does it matter if Cleo was black or white or even Greek? It wasn't black folk who began race wars. Black people did not insist on white inferiority with proof positive of all the "black" inventions, scholarly work, historical dynasties etc. etc.
In school I was indoctrinated on all the wonders and achievements of whites, and few to none about blacks.---It was a big deal then. Conversely, the other shoe has dropped, the world recognizes the brillance of blacks; and whites respond with "okay, so what does it matter what race did this or that, let's move on"
ironic.
Even more ironic is that you were taught in school achivements by race. Funny, I don't recall paying much attention to the race of historical figures...but it seems that you were. Sad, really. Race isnt something to be proud of, it is an accident of birth. What one does with the life they are given is where pride should originate. Put the score card down and play the game.
Happy Jumping Bean Whip

Antioch, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 30, 2006
 

Judged:

2

she was black. there are descriptions of the woman. She was Egyption. But was she Afrocanized?

was she of the central lower African contenant? NO. Northern Africans have straight or curly hair. not nappy or afros as we know the central africans to have.

Whats my point?? She looked nothing like your African American. different tribe all together. She looked more arabic or even the modern day Egyption.

Not all Africans have nappy hair and large lips and flat noses. The northern africans have straighter hair, thinner lips and pointier noses.

And no, this is not me trying to Caucasionize the northern Africans.

We may actually have decended from Africans (Europeans) but not the "Negro" people from central or south africa.

science has proven this.
Bruce

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 9, 2006
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Again we hear Blacks claiming various people of history had to be Black. Are you hopeing to lift yourselves with false claims? If you say it, does that make it true?
As a Race, you've failed. Move on.
REAL DEAL

Frisco, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 9, 2006
 

Judged:

4

1

1

Bruce wrote:
Again we hear Blacks claiming various people of history had to be Black. Are you hopeing to lift yourselves with false claims? If you say it, does that make it true?
As a Race, you've failed. Move on.
Having lived and visited Egypt on numerous occasions, I can state with definite authority you are absolutely WRONG! It is Europeans whom have been trying to academically dissect Egypt out of Africa, and claiming all knowledgeable civilizations as white or having European influence. The Europeans have been constantly altering the appearance of the Egyptians for years in their efforts to claim Egypt as a white civilization.
REAL DEAL

Frisco, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 9, 2006
 

Judged:

1

Happy Jumping Bean Whip wrote:
she was black. there are descriptions of the woman. She was Egyption. But was she Afrocanized?
was she of the central lower African contenant? NO. Northern Africans have straight or curly hair. not nappy or afros as we know the central africans to have.
Whats my point?? She looked nothing like your African American. different tribe all together. She looked more arabic or even the modern day Egyption.
Not all Africans have nappy hair and large lips and flat noses. The northern africans have straighter hair, thinner lips and pointier noses.
And no, this is not me trying to Caucasionize the northern Africans.
We may actually have decended from Africans (Europeans) but not the "Negro" people from central or south africa.
science has proven this.
Absolute BS, science has proven nothing of the sort. If hadn't lived in Edfu,Egypt as well as visited Egypt on numerous occasions I may have fallen for it. The Arabs came long after Egypt was in decline. And, scientist(Basil Davidson) are now convinced the original Egyptians migrated from Central Africa to Northeast Africa(Egypt). Give me a break!
B-Hughes

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jul 13, 2006
 

Judged:

1

You are right. It is about love. But when you seperate a person or group of people from such rich history and feed them degrading images of themselves there will be a problem. One can witness this today. I am a fan of hip hop but there is a certain image being portrayed and passed along. The minds of alot of young blacks are only challenged in entertainment or sports. If one knew his tribe or people were responsible for mathematics and medicine i honestly agrre that alot of these young blacks would have a better outlook on life. Without roots a tree cant grow. All Is Well rychuslife@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of2,495
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••