Ewf Ralph johnson vs Fred White ...
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
supreme Lo

Kutztown, PA

#101 Apr 16, 2011
tjtsocool wrote:
I've been playing drums for over 30 years and Sonny Emory is the best drummer EWF ever had...Fred was solid and very very tight..Ralph was ok...He really didn't do much to keep your attention..Maurice was ok..But Sonny is in a class all by himself...Now let's be real about this...If Ralph was soooo good ...There would be no need to have Fred in the band....Fred would have never replaced or shared the drum duties with Sonny...Now the guitarists...Roland and Sheldon had the best solos and the best versitility...Johnny's solos were awful..Listen to Alive 75 at the way he butchered "Happy Feeling"...And listen to his solo on "Power" when the band played on the TV show "Soul" before Al joined the band..To be fair Johnny was perfect on "That's the way of the World" and "Clover"..But up-tempo tunes he was awful doloing on.....Al was a good solid guitartist..I just think Roland and Sheldon had better chops..
You sound crazy! Ralph will cook Fred,watch all the old clips on youtube like midnight special and see how had the upperhand!It don't matter who Fred played with or on neither Ralph,It's on the style's my brother!! I've seen the Gratitude tour for myself with the two drummer set-up and Ralph put work in. I agree about Sonny being the best drummer ofcourse but U down play Maurice White when he's the one who played drums on 90 percent of the Hits.There all different if u ask me and can't be compare
darran

San Mateo, CA

#102 Apr 9, 2012
Listen guys are you kidding me Fred played on. D Williams, Emotions and that's Fred on Lover's Holiday ,Reasons live I love his timing9211
Rah

Arlington, VA

#103 Jun 10, 2012
darran wrote:
Listen guys are you kidding me Fred played on. D Williams, Emotions and that's Fred on Lover's Holiday ,Reasons live I love his timing9211
That's maurice white on drums for loves holiday and Reasons live is actually Ralph Johnson and Fred White together! Maurice played drums on d williams and the emotions stuff as well not only freddie!
Rah

Baltimore, MD

#104 Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for everyones input so inclosing and gettin to meet ewf! It was maurice who played drums on 90% of ewf records, fred and ralph worked more on stage but they also played studio as well! Ralph drum from 72 to 80 and off and on after. Fred play from 75 to 83 they all help the sound and all have there own feel,they all brought something to the table and lets not forget sonny who played from 87 to 99!
tjtsocool

Chester Springs, PA

#105 Feb 1, 2013
supreme Lo wrote:
<quoted text> You sound crazy! Ralph will cook Fred,watch all the old clips on youtube like midnight special and see how had the upperhand!It don't matter who Fred played with or on neither Ralph,It's on the style's my brother!! I've seen the Gratitude tour for myself with the two drummer set-up and Ralph put work in. I agree about Sonny being the best drummer ofcourse but U down play Maurice White when he's the one who played drums on 90 percent of the Hits.There all different if u ask me and can't be compare
Sorry my friend but that's just my opinion..I like interesting drummers and Fred and Sonny are more interesting to me than Ralph..
blake

Livonia, MI

#107 Feb 14, 2013
Did Johnny Really do the theme for R&S? If so how do u know?
blake

Livonia, MI

#108 Feb 14, 2013
Ro-Ro wrote:
It's funny. I thought I was the only who thought about the drummers. Fred was definitely nice, and I wouldn't call his playing ametuer at all. Listen to his precision and dynamics. Playing precise (hardly or no fluctuation) is an art in itself. You ever try dancing and someone messed with the record or changed the beat on you?! Fred keeps you groovin'.Plus most of his technique is single strokes, which many drummers are lazy on. Don't get me wrong, though. Ralph is my favorite drummer of any genre.Not just 'cause he's cool, but I've heard him play other styles. Fred is like Johnny...you never really heard him play outside of the EWF groove, so how well do you really know them?
*Johnny Graham did the theme to Ren and Stimpy!
Ask me how I know
How do you know?
blake

Livonia, MI

#109 Feb 14, 2013
gary smith wrote:
I'm looking for the 1976 show , when they had the pyramids on stage . if anybody knows of this dvd show . gary aka [email protected]
some guy has the whole thing on youtube but the audio quality sucks so bad, it's almost intolerable. And it's 1977, not 1976.
blake

Livonia, MI

#110 Feb 14, 2013
supreme Lo wrote:
<quoted text> You sound crazy! Ralph will cook Fred,watch all the old clips on youtube like midnight special and see how had the upperhand!It don't matter who Fred played with or on neither Ralph,It's on the style's my brother!! I've seen the Gratitude tour for myself with the two drummer set-up and Ralph put work in. I agree about Sonny being the best drummer ofcourse but U down play Maurice White when he's the one who played drums on 90 percent of the Hits.There all different if u ask me and can't be compare
And also, his guitar solo on TTWOTW in 1981 in concert was sweet!!
Charles

Springfield, OH

#111 Feb 15, 2013
jabokeyboard wrote:
<quoted text>Ain't
nothing hard about been in the pocket.Fred
was good but never opened up or did anything
that made me say DAMN!I was into Maurice and
Ralph Johnson the RAW Stuff.
I play piano/organ,Larry dunn and Charles Stepney
is guys i Check out.
It kills me when I read stuff like this. Their was a "reason" Fred played in the pocket so much. His shit was tight. EWF at its best used space and the rhythm section precisely. Fred was the perfect drummer for EWF.
Charles

Springfield, OH

#112 Feb 15, 2013
I am a latecomer to this thread but I must say one thing, and I know there were great musicians after the "classic" EWF period BUT I just don't give a flying leap about any cat after the classic lineup.Sorry. For people on this thread disparaging my guys like Johnny Graham you just don't have the love and depth of understanding for the Elements for me to listen to you.
larry

Philadelphia, PA

#113 Feb 20, 2013
Sonny Emory was the best drummer that EWF had period!
larry

Philadelphia, PA

#114 Feb 20, 2013
Charles wrote:
<quoted text>
It kills me when I read stuff like this. Their was a "reason" Fred played in the pocket so much. His shit was tight. EWF at its best used space and the rhythm section precisely. Fred was the perfect drummer for EWF.
Freddy playing was OK and never did nothing outstanding and Maurice was the dude cutting all their grooves! Ralph was a good drummer as well as a percussion player.
larry

Philadelphia, PA

#115 Feb 20, 2013
Charles wrote:
I am a latecomer to this thread but I must say one thing, and I know there were great musicians after the "classic" EWF period BUT I just don't give a flying leap about any cat after the classic lineup.Sorry. For people on this thread disparaging my guys like Johnny Graham you just don't have the love and depth of understanding for the Elements for me to listen to you.
Johnny's playing sucks yeah he played on TTWOTW but that's about all now Roland B was the best they had Rip
Amsterdam_Man

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#116 Apr 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

See the link above. Some of the EW&F Rio live concert in 1980, with Fred White.

See my channel on YouTube for more unique live material.
Nick Emory

Nashville, TN

#117 Oct 28, 2013
Because of the fact that my father is Sonny Emory naturally I am biased when it comes to topics like this, but I have talked to Ralph, Fred, John, Maurice, Verdine, and Philip and they all agreed that Sonny Emory was the best drummer to ever hold down the thrown for EWF.
funk forlife

Lakewood, CA

#118 Dec 22, 2013
John is the BUSINESS.....HANDS DOWN......ENOUGH SAID...
alfbass wrote:
I think that the drummer of the EW & F new generation, John was closer to the sound and spirit of EW & F, Sonny is an extraordinary drummer,
But he do not like me to the EW & F sound.
For me:
Ralph, Fred and John. Of course Maurice "maestro"
Sorry my English
cool breeze

Sewell, NJ

#119 Jul 9, 2015
RAH wrote:
I DO UNDER STAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT SONNY
HAS HIS OWN STYLE AND THE MOST TECHNIGAL OUT OF ALL THE DRUMMERS.MAURICE PLAYED ALL THE HITS
AND SHOULD GET ALL THE CREDIT BUT FOR ME I HAVE TO
GO WITH RALPH BECASE I PLAY DRUMS AND PERCUSSION
LIKE RALPH AND I STUDIED HIM.
All their drummers can play each others style if you seen them from the early and late 70's live.
cool breeze

Sewell, NJ

#120 Jul 10, 2015
larry wrote:
<quoted text> Freddy playing was OK and never did nothing outstanding and Maurice was the dude cutting all their grooves! Ralph was a good drummer as well as a percussion player.
You must haven't seen Johnny when he played for the new birth live.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Earth, Wind & Fire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grammys 2016: Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Weeknd (Feb '16) Feb '16 superderrick 6
News Year to remember in Hawaii's entertainment worl... (Jan '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 5
News Earth Wind & Fire brought out Kendrick Lamar & ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 KnutesNiche 1
boat scene for the song Fantasy (Dec '14) Dec '14 mrscoop99 1
News Steve Martin returning to Rochester jazz festival (Feb '14) Feb '14 ZannyTheNanny 3
News Here are predictions for tonight's Grammy nomin... (Dec '13) Dec '13 I HATE New Days 1
News Music Preview: Tiempo Libre: 'Music is all abou... (May '08) Jul '13 surprised 2
More from around the web