Marin snapshot: All the world and San...

Marin snapshot: All the world and San Rafael bookstore is Joel ...

There are 2 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Feb 7, 2009, titled Marin snapshot: All the world and San Rafael bookstore is Joel .... In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

You might wonder how someone so immersed in theater became the co-owner of San Rafael's Rebound Bookstore - the "biggest little bookstore in the universe." With a graduate degree in theater, Joel Eis designed, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

Nils

Berkeley, CA

#1 Feb 8, 2009
Thanks for mentioning the address reporter. I'll look for my yellow pages. Support your local small business, here's why: http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-economic-be...

"Communities of locally owned small enterprises are much healthier economically than communities that are colonized by large, absentee-owned corporations. For example, a 1947 study compared two communities in California: one a community of small farms, and the other dominated by a few large agribusiness operations. The small farming community had higher living standards, more parks, more stores, and more civic, social and recreational organizations.(L. S. Stavrianos. The Promise of the Coming Dark Age (San Francisco: W. H. Freeman and Company, 1976), p. 41.)
Bill McKibben made the same point in Deep Economy. Most money that’s spent buying stuff from a national corporation is quickly sucked out of the local economy, while money that’s spent at local businesses circulates repeatedly in the local economy and leaks much more slowly to the outside. According to a study in Vermont, substituting local production for only ten percent of imported food would create $376 million in new economic output, including $69 million in wages at over 3600 new jobs. A similar study in Britain found the multiplier effect of ten pounds spent at a local business benefited the local economy to the tune of 25 pounds, compared to only 14 for the same amount spent at a chain store."
Sandy Eis

United States

#2 Feb 8, 2009
That was a nice article about my brother!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dylan Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dylan Thomas v Bob Dylan: Test yourself with th... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Will Dockery 1
News Bob Dylan: Still freewheelina after all these y... (May '11) May '11 taurean_rager 1
News Marian Anderson, Winston Churchill and The Who ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Nancy 1
News Joe Stroud recapitulates a life in poetry (Dec '08) Dec '08 Roger Daugherty 2
News Warm-hearted 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' wel... (Dec '07) Dec '07 aggie199 1
News VW Golf "Night Driving": VW's Darkly Beautiful ... (Sep '07) Sep '07 PATRICK 1
More from around the web