Jazz Drummer's Stolen Equipment Found

Jun 11, 2009 Full story: WSMV-TV 4 News 29

BYRDSTOWN, Tenn. - He's considered the father of modern jazz drumming, so how did Max Roach's stuff end up in a barn in Byrdstown, Tenn.? He was a legend who hung out with legends like Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis and Duke Ellington, to name a few.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
curious

Livingston, TN

#1 Jun 16, 2009
Any more info on this story?
tell us

Livingston, TN

#2 Jun 16, 2009
So who's barn was the instruments in?
Curiouser

Livingston, TN

#3 Jun 16, 2009
tell us wrote:
So who's barn was the instruments in?
The folks that live on the old Asberry place by the old Wolf River bridge..........
mizBhaving

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Jun 16, 2009
Wheres that?
about time

Livingston, TN

#5 Jun 16, 2009
Its about time someone finally caught up with that dead-beat bunch. They won't pay nothing they owe, or should I say, one of the boys. They all go by Frank, and all have nicknames. If the law would look a little closer they would probably find a lot more things.
curiouser

Livingston, TN

#6 Jun 16, 2009
Curiouser wrote:
<quoted text>
The folks that live on the old Asberry place by the old Wolf River bridge..........
On Old highway 42 below Marie's Cuts n Curls.
yep

Livingston, TN

#7 Jun 16, 2009
Its the colored people that have lived here for awhile and live down by the old bridge. One of the guys is with Jenetta Whites girl.
curious

Livingston, TN

#8 Jun 16, 2009
How did it come about that the instruments were found? The story said no arrests were made. Is that true?
kia

Livingston, TN

#9 Jun 17, 2009
yep wrote:
Its the colored people that have lived here for awhile and live down by the old bridge. One of the guys is with Jenetta Whites girl.
"colored people"? What's going on back there in 1960? Why don't you join us in the 21st century. We got one of them "colored peoples" for POTUS now!
soo

Monroe, TN

#10 Jun 17, 2009
that dont have anything to do with these people
yep

Livingston, TN

#11 Jun 17, 2009
Here is another link to this info. It can also be found by looking under the Byrdstown News on the right side of the page.

Max Roach's Stolen Drums Found in Tennessee Barn
By
Ani Vrabel
on June 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
In 2007, jazz drummer and bebop innovator Max Roach passed away. Not only was the legendary drummer lost to the world, but his drums were stolen. Finally, the missing set has been recovered, in quite possibly the last place anyone ever expected to find it.
A few weeks ago, Roach's daughter Maxine received a phone call alerting her that a man who had been caught for another crime had also admitted to stealing the drums and hiding them in a Byrdstown, Tenn. barn. On June 6, she, along with her lawyers and a crew from local moving company Duncan Storage and Transfer, set out to recover her father's beloved kit. The authorities even had to join in the operation after Maxine was allegedly threatened with guns, reports the Cookeville Times.

Even though some of Roach's drums are still missing, the mission can still be considered a success. Most of the drums were found in a secret room behind a false wall and a stack of air conditioning units, and were safely shipped to their proper home in New Jersey.

***If you click on the Cookeville Times link, their is a video there.
Skittles

Livingston, TN

#12 Jun 17, 2009
yep wrote:
Colored??? What color are they? Blue, hot pink, neon green? Get a life... This is 2009, we don't say colored anymore dummy!
Sam

Gainesboro, TN

#13 Jun 17, 2009
People need to know the whole story, I think if you checked on this story you will find that there is no stolen drums.Need to get all the facts before you post on this.
got the facts

Livingston, TN

#14 Jun 17, 2009
I got my facts from the news channel and paste magazine. If YOU would read the article below, you would see that it says STOLEN DRUMS. What part of that do you not understand? DUH.

Max Roach's Stolen Drums Found in Tennessee Barn
By
Ani Vrabel
on June 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
In 2007, jazz drummer and bebop innovator Max Roach passed away. Not only was the legendary drummer lost to the world, but his drums were stolen. Finally, the missing set has been recovered, in quite possibly the last place anyone ever expected to find it.
A few weeks ago, Roach's daughter Maxine received a phone call alerting her that a man who had been caught for another crime had also admitted to stealing the drums and hiding them in a Byrdstown, Tenn. barn. On June 6, she, along with her lawyers and a crew from local moving company Duncan Storage and Transfer, set out to recover her father's beloved kit. The authorities even had to join in the operation after Maxine was allegedly threatened with guns, reports the Cookeville Times.

Even though some of Roach's drums are still missing, the mission can still be considered a success. Most of the drums were found in a secret room behind a false wall and a stack of air conditioning units, and were safely shipped to their proper home in New Jersey.
yep

Livingston, TN

#15 Jun 17, 2009
Skittles wrote:
<quoted text>
Colored??? What color are they? Blue, hot pink, neon green? Get a life... This is 2009, we don't say colored anymore dummy!
I can say whatever the hell I want to. Right this is 2009, and we do have freedom of speech. Maybe colored was a bad choice of word, but I was just trying to be polite. I didn't want to use the n word. Maybe I should have said black, but all in all colored, black and n all mean the same thing, whether its 2009 or not.
So to correct myself, they are the BLACKS that live here. Satisfied now?
Dizzy

Livingston, TN

#16 Jun 17, 2009
Sam wrote:
People need to know the whole story, I think if you checked on this story you will find that there is no stolen drums.Need to get all the facts before you post on this.
NO STOLEN DRUMS!!!!!WHERE THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEN? CAN YOU NOT READ? ITS POSTED ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND ON THE NEWS.
Drummer

Monroe, TN

#17 Jun 17, 2009
Read the full story at
www.herald-citizrn.com
Drummer

Monroe, TN

#18 Jun 17, 2009
Dizzy

Livingston, TN

#19 Jun 18, 2009
I read the story from the herald citizen, and my opinion is still the same. The daughter stated that the instruments were TAKEN from the home, and then she stated they were held hostage from her, and after retrieving them, still most of them are MISSING. Now where I come from that means STOLEN.
Outsider

Byrdstown, TN

#20 Jun 19, 2009
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
I can say whatever the hell I want to. Right this is 2009, and we do have freedom of speech. Maybe colored was a bad choice of word, but I was just trying to be polite. I didn't want to use the n word. Maybe I should have said black, but all in all colored, black and n all mean the same thing, whether its 2009 or not.
So to correct myself, they are the BLACKS that live here. Satisfied now?
The point is, what does it matter what colour they are?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Ellington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Biography tries to get to bottom of bandleader (Mar '14) Mar '14 Ms Mack 1
Bay Area arts, entertainment picks, Feb. 3 (Feb '13) Feb '13 Go Blue Forever 1
Elvis Presley piano ideal Christmas gift (Dec '06) Jul '12 Jack meoff 4
Pittsburgh's historic black musicians' union to... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Hmmmm 4
Lyrics of "Chocolate Shake" by Paul Francis Web... (May '12) May '12 Franck Frydman 1
Yurdal Tokcan & Ahenk: Turkish Delights (Apr '12) Apr '12 Dimples 1
DC's historic Howard Theatre opens new chapter (Apr '12) Apr '12 TAR CREATURES 2
More from around the web