Eagles' Henley, Heartbreakers' Campbe...

Eagles' Henley, Heartbreakers' Campbell sue GOP assemblyman ove...

There are 33 comments on the LA Daily News story from Apr 17, 2009, titled Eagles' Henley, Heartbreakers' Campbell sue GOP assemblyman ove.... In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Mike Campbell, above, guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and co-writer of "The Boys of Summer," along with Eagles' drummer-singer Don Henley, is suing Assemblyman Chuck DeVore for using their hit song in a political online video.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Taxpayer_Voter

United States

#1 Apr 17, 2009
Grow up boys! Aren't you being a little nuts here? There are many Repubs and Independents that like your music. Don't like that imagery? Then maybe you should just stop recording. Or how about a secret site where only your Demo Fans can go to hear your stuff.
anon

Sacramento, CA

#2 Apr 18, 2009
How long is the copyright for--the song was written in 1984. Further THEY CHANGED every word, so how can it be an infringement--if they didn't even use it? Finally, hasn't the SCOTUS already determined that public domain "stuff" is freely open to parody? Henley's washed up and just searching for publicity
Taxpayer_Voter

United States

#3 Apr 18, 2009
These two are just trying to get more cred with their uber liberal friends and fans. Stupid is as stupid does. Maybe they just crave publicity!
Dilbeck

United States

#4 Apr 18, 2009
It's called a parody Don, and it's not an infringement on your copyright. It must be nice to be really rich and liberal so that you can have your lawyer who is on retainer sue people for things that aren't illegal. I thought only right wing nut job republicans chilled peoples speech. Get over yourself.
RosaL

Kernersville, NC

#5 Apr 18, 2009
It's called stealling dilbeck, using a song without it's writer's permission. I hope Don and Mike Get every penny. And Taxskater: thieving is what thieves do. Says a lot about your candidate and Rethugs in general.

The Repug creed:$$ uber alles!
RosaL

Kernersville, NC

#6 Apr 18, 2009
Oh, anan: Copy rights last 98 years after the death of the creator, and Don's still alive.
Chuch Devore is a dirty, thieving pirate. He should run for Senate in Somalia!
Taxpayer_Voter

United States

#7 Apr 18, 2009
RosaL wrote:
It's called stealling dilbeck, using a song without it's writer's permission. I hope Don and Mike Get every penny. And Taxskater: thieving is what thieves do. Says a lot about your candidate and Rethugs in general.
The Repug creed:$$ uber alles!
I've paid more in taxes than you'll ever earn if your entire life.

I'm sure Al Yankovic paid M. Jackson for his parody song, Not! See this move for what it is, a publicity stunt. Says a lot about you DemoFacists!
the eye

San Luis Obispo, CA

#8 Apr 18, 2009
Taxpayer_Voter wrote:
<quoted text> I've paid more in taxes than you'll ever earn if your entire life.
I'm sure Al Yankovic paid M. Jackson for his parody song, Not! See this move for what it is, a publicity stunt. Says a lot about you DemoFacists!
Try a hot cup of FACTS will you?

Weird Al ALWAYS gets the artists written permission.

The GOP did this at the convention too...suddenly they are above the law?
the eye

San Luis Obispo, CA

#9 Apr 18, 2009
Taxpayer_Voter wrote:
Grow up boys! Aren't you being a little nuts here? There are many Repubs and Independents that like your music. Don't like that imagery? Then maybe you should just stop recording. Or how about a secret site where only your Demo Fans can go to hear your stuff.
How would you like it if you wrote a song. Then someone used it for their own personal gain, WITHOUT your permission?

Stop hating on the artist and put the blame where it belongs.
Taxpayer_Voter

United States

#10 Apr 18, 2009
My point is that they wouldn't care if it was a dem politician using their song in a parody. I do agree everyone should honor copyright law.
jo jo jo

Anchorage, AK

#11 Apr 18, 2009
So the guy used some hippie trash liberal smiggeral BS pied pipe brainwashing tunes.
Taxpayer_Voter

United States

#12 Apr 18, 2009
RosaL wrote:
Oh, anan: Copy rights last 98 years after the death of the creator, and Don's still alive.
Chuch Devore is a dirty, thieving pirate. He should run for Senate in Somalia!
Yeah, a lying thief just like all the demofacist politicians in Calif and Washington DC.
the eye

San Luis Obispo, CA

#13 Apr 18, 2009
Taxpayer_Voter wrote:
My point is that they wouldn't care if it was a dem politician using their song in a parody. I do agree everyone should honor copyright law.
I disagree. They are angry that the politicians, right or left, would use their music without permission or paying royalites...because it sets a bad precedent, besides being illegal.

Same goes for advertising. A local business here once tried using a Van Halen song in their radio spot. I asked them if they had permission from the band...and they were clueless, said: "Awww, who cares, they'll never know."

Funny enough, about a week later the spot had been yanked and replaced with another using appropriate royalty-free production music.
BS Detector

Oxnard, CA

#14 Apr 18, 2009
the eye wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. They are angry that the politicians, right or left, would use their music without permission or paying royalites...because it sets a bad precedent, besides being illegal.
Same goes for advertising. A local business here once tried using a Van Halen song in their radio spot. I asked them if they had permission from the band...and they were clueless, said: "Awww, who cares, they'll never know."
Funny enough, about a week later the spot had been yanked and replaced with another using appropriate royalty-free production music.
Has any musician objected to a Democrat using their music?
the eye

San Luis Obispo, CA

#15 Apr 18, 2009
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows? But if that individual used their music without permission or paying the proper royalty, then I suppose they would.
BS Detector

Oxnard, CA

#16 Apr 18, 2009
the eye wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows? But if that individual used their music without permission or paying the proper royalty, then I suppose they would.
I haven't heard of a single instance in the more than forty years I've been politically aware. If you come up with one, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Taxpayer_Voter

United States

#17 Apr 18, 2009
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
Ted Nugent would object is a Dem used his songs, period. He wouldn't take their money either.
the eye

San Luis Obispo, CA

#18 Apr 18, 2009
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard of a single instance in the more than forty years I've been politically aware. If you come up with one, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
I'm sure it's happened somewhere...but since it's not all that newsworthy, the story is probably buried.

OR, the party in question settles and it just goes away.
BS Detector

Oxnard, CA

#19 Apr 18, 2009
the eye wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure it's happened somewhere...but since it's not all that newsworthy, the story is probably buried.
OR, the party in question settles and it just goes away.
You're sure... but really have no idea.
the eye

San Luis Obispo, CA

#20 Apr 18, 2009
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
You're sure... but really have no idea.
Nor do you, so what's your point?

Are you assuming that just because it hasn't been in the news that it hasn't happened...ever?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Don Henley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Week in Billboard Chart History: In 2003, ... Jul 11 kelly 2
Don Henley in London...or was it? (Mar '14) Mar '14 Corinthian 1
News Spring Grove music teacher releases album (Jan '11) Jan '11 Tony Anzalone 3
News Eagles singer gets away with calling Bush chimp (Sep '08) Jan '11 Bloggs 15
News Texas mayor's colorful past called into question (May '08) Dec '10 Rjoyful 6
News Upcoming concerts: Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addic... (May '09) May '09 stephen 1
News Don Henley to Headline Inaugural Downtstream Ca... (Apr '09) May '09 BigC 2
More from around the web