Researchers find evolutionarily prese...

Researchers find evolutionarily preserved 'sex difference' in the primate brain

There are 5 comments on the www.sciencecodex.com story from Jun 19, 2008, titled Researchers find evolutionarily preserved 'sex difference' in the primate brain. In it, www.sciencecodex.com reports that:

Researchers have determined that there are hundreds of biological differences between the sexes when it comes to gene expression in the cerebral cortex of humans and other primates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sciencecodex.com.

“Got Science?”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 Jun 19, 2008
Now the answer is to find out how long they have been preserved.
truthist

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2008
Please help me say this right, Cash. Is the evolutionary path male-oriented, female-oriented, or neither or both?

Is your 'how long' related to my question?

Thanks.:)
truthist

United States

#3 Jun 20, 2008
I came back because of the riddle here.

"These conserved differences constitute a signature of sex differences in the brain."
But:
"The study does not determine whether these differences in gene expression are in any way functionally significant."
Also:
The "researchers also report on evolutionary speeds in genes that have been identified as male or female-oriented. This could provide clues about the power of natural selection processes during the evolution of primates."

QED: We don't understand how gender evolves along the evolutionary tree. We don't know whether female or the male primate is the original source of the human genes.

That's what I came up with. Even though I was led to accept that MtEVE was the source before this.
truthist

United States

#4 Jun 21, 2008
Cash wrote:
Now the answer is to find out how long they have been preserved.
That is the question.

:) I think I am not the only one sort of amazed and amused here.
truthist

United States

#5 Jun 21, 2008
"The cerebral cortex is involved in many of the more complex functions in both humans and other primates, including memory, attentiveness, thought processes and language."

This could reveal cultural influences on the brain. We know that different languages are handled in different parts of the brain, e.g. chinese v english.

(So much to know, so little to review.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
male species inferior dna steal, female w/repea... (Jul '13) Jul '13 GERALD J 1
data dna model was not discovered by watson cri... (Jul '13) Jul '13 GERALD J 1
Birth DNA (Jul '11) Jul '11 Dr Oz 1
News A subatomic space race: Canada takes huge leap ... (May '11) May '11 Elie 1
paternity fraud (Jan '10) Jan '10 HellNo 2
microbioligist needed to solve mystery (Mar '08) Mar '08 sher 1
More from around the web