Supreme Mary Wilson reacts to 'Dreamg...

Supreme Mary Wilson reacts to 'Dreamgirls'

There are 106 comments on the Daily Journal story from Dec 23, 2006, titled Supreme Mary Wilson reacts to 'Dreamgirls'. In it, Daily Journal reports that:

Here's a film reviewer who didn't just watch 'Dreamgirls.' She lived it. Big wigs, fancy gowns, torrid romances, groundbreaking triumph, clashing egos and heartbreaking loss.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Journal.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
missbirdsong

Newton Upper Falls, MA

#102 Sep 29, 2009
Ric Ricland wrote:
Florence Ballard had a simple code of right and wrong that she lived by. It was based on treating people fairly. When Ross and Gordy took this proud young woman and tried to turn her into a flunky she rebelled.
For example, after Dinah Ross was made lead, Florence and Mary Wilson were ordered to never speak in public, to let Miss Ross do all the talking. Mary Wilson could deal with it, Florence Ballard simply couldn't.
Look at the tapes of Florence and you see a young woman of a wonderful natural dignity and warmth. Look at the way she uses her hands and body, compare it to the catalog of artificial personas Ross goes through --Dietrich, Harlow, Crawford, Marylyn Monroe, for Pete's sake.
That's what we're talking about here: killing off a sweet natural girl in place of a selfish, artificial one.
The "Mother of Love" mythology gay men have built around Miss Ross is self-serving illusion. They idolize Miss Ross because she's artificial, because she's the anti-black woman -- thin, breastless, hipless -- because she's "camp"; and mostly, because she has the heart of a reptile.
Their adoration of Miss Ross runs no deeper than that. Indeed, her vile treatment of Florence and Mary Wilson gives them unalloyed joy because to them it's an affirmation that real femininity is about paint, big wigs, artificiality, not sweet, gentle, loving, feminine, natural.
Does Ross have a better voice than Aretha Franklin? Why then do gays idolize Miss Ross but ignore Aretha?
Which in part explains why the heterosexual black community doesn't do divas. We don't like Dina Ross, Naomi Campbell, Barbara Striestand. We like Queen Lateefa, Aretha Franklin, Mary Wells.
We like our queens with big hips and big hearts just like Florence Ballard.
ricland
Wrong again. Reporters were told to ask Ross all questions a distinct but not a moral difference. Cindy Birdsong makes this clear. Flo was never forbidden to speak to reporters. ever. There are clips where Flo is speaking on youtube.
You know what else destroys a group? A group member with undiagnosed psych issues (not refferring to Ross, either) a drunken group member who has to be sobered up to perform. A drunken or discontent member who fails to keep the details of her contract by showing to venues. Flo got a grand wake up call. Show biz ain't fair.

You do seem to be right about the personifications that Ross employed early on in the Supremes. You left out Connie Stevens (the hiccup in between notes). She was enamored with greatness. Flo wanted to be Old Flo from the hood who made it big. Well she did; and she ended up right back in the hood too. Bad work ethic and a substance abuse problem wayyy before it was popular also helped to kill the supremes.
Bear

Saint Catharines, Canada

#103 Mar 2, 2011
I have always thought Miss Mary had a 'Gerbilesque" Quality about her, if you look @ some of her early Pics, Hampster Face Definately comes to mind!

But her sound is much more Moosey, A Baritone for sure.

Not that there's anything wrong with any of this!
neil1000

UK

#104 Oct 28, 2011
diana ross is ugly to say the least . bullfrog eyes ahhhhhh. cant stand the woman she to up her own backside.i am old enough to remember the farewell concert with ross as lead singer.mary had a solo spot as did cindy . mary got a standing ovation for to good to be true so did cindy. ross hated them having any of the spotlight her face was a picture. mary wilson chose not to attend the reunion tour and i dont blame her. the two were treated awfully by madam also ross to my mind only ever had one number o ne on her own. jean terell who took over from ross encouraged mary and cindy to take lead roles automaticly sunshine and touch.lesave the others alone it makes me so mad.its as though no one else is entitled to solo suc cess. cut the crap. i cant spell well so take the mik out of that im bigger and better to be bothered
neil1000

UK

#105 Oct 29, 2011
diana ross is an over inflated load of rubbish .she never wanted mary or cindy to sing at all she does hog the limelight every chance she gets. i have music by mary and cindy they can both belt out a love song and ballad better than ross. it is also obvious that mary is a great author have any of you lot ever looked at dreamgirl my life as a supreme. its a massive massive seller and in the uk one of the biggest in the music area. i am old enough to remember mary singing to good to be true she got a standing ovation . ross face was a picture she didnt like not being in the spotlight.cindy belted out let the sunshine again out singing ross. i also recently got from the states a cd of florance ballard she sang lead at first some of those recordings were great no wonder she was a threat to ross. its unfair ross is a good singer i have lots of her stuff but she makes mistakes and often goes out of key and should stay within her range. marys new cd is jazz a different direction it suits her.she has served as a goodwill ambassador for the states as well. she doesnt get drunk while driving like your goodess or throw a tantram at an airport by being frisked as many of us do when an alarm goes off . is she special more important than the security of other travelers. time to wake up if you lot pedistoole people you put them in a silly position they can never live up to and life is to darn short for that.i no longer buy ross music as i feel she is selfish . as we say in gb im alright jack. cuts no ice with me.leave mary cindy and the others alone. its sad.
neil1000

UK

#106 Nov 1, 2011
set the record straight . diana ross only got the lead as she was putting it about with gordy. she sings out of key on most of her stuff and it was only because mary and later cindy were darn good singers that she made it.in the early days ross was no great voice at all .florence sang and much better i have to say. the supremes in their own right were very successfull and had 5 hits without ross. it was rosses replacment that encouraged mary and cindy to sing lead parts as she didnt understand why they were kept back. it was also true that gordy held back supreme releases as they would clash with whatever ross released at the time. this was very very unfair to the other girls and i dont blame them for being unhappy about it.i also have to say i am a ross fan i like some of her records not all of them i dont buy if i dont like it why should i . final comment it seems on line that all of you think ross is some sort of god. she aint.id like to put all the supremes in a line including ross and pick one ballad. ross would come in last.it says it all when the only thing she attracts are drag queens trying to look like her .is there any difference.put up and shut up its all so onesided and life is not onesided lets have a level playing field and i love mary singing jazz and r n b.she has foun d at last her style .leave it out people.
neil david

UK

#107 Dec 6, 2011
your comments are bias and very very unfair. mary wilson is a great talent she can sing ballads and r n b and jazz.she is getting bto a much bigger audience since she has done her live series of shows to very good reviews. most of the people that keep belittling her are trying to compare her to ross. she is her own person. ive seen ross on some u tube items where she would not even win at kareoke.shee alrigth when she mimes on stage to her songs but she is dreadfull live she is always out of key. go on u tube and listen for yourself. her most recent tours are awfull she screaches through them. both mary and cindy birdsong were stitched up by dreadful gordy they can both sing better than ross its a fact. i have music from all three and individual ross is average and crafty. its a well known fact that gordg held back supreme releases so that ross did not have to competr. this was very wrong and he should be ashamed of himself over this as should controling manipulative ross. enough said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diana Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Next Story: Michael Jackson's Undying Love for ... (Jul '09) May 5 Sleepingboy 78
what happened to diana ross's late husband (May '06) Mar '17 guygrip 65
News Diana Ross on stage can still hypnotize an appr... (Apr '07) Mar '17 glenn 23
Diana Ross had no female Motown friends (Jan '07) Feb '17 Punkanelly Lovejoy 47
Looking for song title (Jun '16) Jun '16 Estepo 1
News Motown to Release 'Lost' Album 'Diana Ross Sing... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Spotted Wee 2
Diana's teeth..... (Jan '07) Oct '15 Buddy 153
More from around the web