St. Johns parents file suit over scho...

St. Johns parents file suit over school song

There are 68 comments on the jacksonville.com story from Mar 24, 2009, titled St. Johns parents file suit over school song. In it, jacksonville.com reports that:

The parents of two third-graders have sued the St. Johns County School Board over a religious-themed song their teacher planned to have their class sing at an end-of-year program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at jacksonville.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“The Inevitable”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#72 Apr 1, 2009
But it is seperatioin from Church and State, not State for Church!

“The Inevitable”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#73 Apr 1, 2009
from
Christian Mom

United States

#75 Nov 8, 2009
Is the name of this school not St.(Saint) John's? Is he not a religious character???? What is the complaint? A school named after a religious character should not sing a song about how in AMERICA we still trust in God? Get REAL!!! Why are these 2 children in this (Saint John's) school anyway? I would say they don't deserve any money, but need to be more careful where they send their children to school if they don't want them to learn American values.
Julianna

Los Angeles, CA

#76 Nov 8, 2009
Christian Mom wrote:
Is the name of this school not St.(Saint) John's? Is he not a religious character???? What is the complaint? A school named after a religious character should not sing a song about how in AMERICA we still trust in God? Get REAL!!! Why are these 2 children in this (Saint John's) school anyway? I would say they don't deserve any money, but need to be more careful where they send their children to school if they don't want them to learn American values.
St. Johns is the county in which the school is located. It is a public school.
Christian Mom

United States

#77 Nov 9, 2009
Then why don't they move out of the county?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#78 Nov 9, 2009
Christian Mom wrote:
Then why don't they move out of the county?
So when they start singing songs to Allah....are YOU going to move out of your county? You just don't get the part about separating Church and State.
John

Bradenton, FL

#79 Nov 9, 2009
Christian Mom wrote:
I am John, I'm a saint. But, I'm certainly not a religious character.
BTW, you can sing songs about me if you wish.
Christian Mom

United States

#80 Nov 9, 2009
Allah is a word for God....Our country's motto is "In God We Trust". If it said Allah instead, it STILL means God. I DO understand the concept of separation of church and state....we homeschooled our children. There is NOTHING in the constitution about separation of church and state...what it does say is the gov't." shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." If these parents don't like our National motto, they have the freedom to homeschool, or go elsewhere. What is their problem? Singing this song in school does not interfere with the free exercise of any religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diamond Rio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diamond Rio One Believer CAN'T FIND! HELP! (Jul '08) May '11 Darren Mullins 3
News NewSt. Johns superintendent proposes $140,000 s... (Mar '10) Mar '10 reading st augustine 1
Looking for Diamond´s (Mar '09) Mar '09 Christian Berger 1
India may soon have rough diamond Futures (Nov '07) Feb '09 diamond trader 2
News Clay Mills helps craft country hit for pop rock... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Jen 1
Diamond Rio DVD Question???? (Sep '08) Sep '08 Tom 1
News Concert Review: Lonestar and Diamond Rio (Aug '08) Aug '08 Medic144 9
More from around the web