St. Johns parents file suit over scho...

St. Johns parents file suit over school song

There are 68 comments on the jacksonville.com story from Mar 24, 2009, titled St. Johns parents file suit over school song. In it, jacksonville.com reports that:

The parents of two third-graders have sued the St. Johns County School Board over a religious-themed song their teacher planned to have their class sing at an end-of-year program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at jacksonville.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

AOL

#1 Mar 24, 2009
Oh God, shutup.
jds

Ormond Beach, FL

#2 Mar 25, 2009
God haters-poor kid.In chorus a song is usually practiced more than once -it is a silly little lawsuit that I hope is squashed.

AOL

#3 Mar 25, 2009
jds wrote:
God haters-poor kid.In chorus a song is usually practiced more than once -it is a silly little lawsuit that I hope is squashed.
Yup.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#4 Mar 25, 2009
They've gotten their way since the song was removed from the program. What are their "damages?" That is stupid.

Since: Feb 09

Savannah, GA

#5 Mar 25, 2009
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

AOL

#7 Mar 25, 2009
bobbiegurl wrote:
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
Right again.

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#8 Mar 25, 2009
after reading the words, i agree the song does not belong in public schools..and yes i always catch flack for that, but they arent due any monetary damages.

Since: Feb 08

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Mar 25, 2009
i dont see anything wrong with this song being in the schools...and these parents dont deserve a dime..there just looking for a way to sue somebody and make an easy buck...with this economy its hard for the snob a$$es out here to keep paying for private schools..
Conscious Colonel

Atlantic Beach, FL

#10 Mar 25, 2009
chic012395 wrote:
i dont see anything wrong with this song being in the schools...and these parents dont deserve a dime..there just looking for a way to sue somebody and make an easy buck...with this economy its hard for the snob a$$es out here to keep paying for private schools..
It would be nice if the taxpayers also didn't have the burden of supporting freeloaders like scott.

It's people like him I don't want to support. Why doesn't he get his fat *ss off the computer and go look for work instead of drawing 5 different checks every month?

I'm amazed you have the audacity to complain about people making an "easy buck" when your own slob of a boyfriend is able to work but would rather have his parents, his breeder and Joe Taxpayer foot the bill so he can sit around eating Cheetos and writing nonsense on the internet!!

Let's get real.

“Smite that white!”

Since: Feb 09

Jacksonville, Fl

#11 Mar 25, 2009
Get the prayer out of our schools.

I wish I was there because I would have added my name to the lawsuit.

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Mar 25, 2009
Conscious Colonel wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be nice if the taxpayers also didn't have the burden of supporting freeloaders like scott.
It's people like him I don't want to support. Why doesn't he get his fat *ss off the computer and go look for work instead of drawing 5 different checks every month?
I'm amazed you have the audacity to complain about people making an "easy buck" when your own slob of a boyfriend is able to work but would rather have his parents, his breeder and Joe Taxpayer foot the bill so he can sit around eating Cheetos and writing nonsense on the internet!!
Let's get real.
How the hell can YOU support someone if YOU dont have a job? I thought you said you sell drugs..and im almost positive he's told you where his money comes from, even though its none of your business..im sorry your having a hard time wrapping your head around it..and he doesnt live with his parents...they live with him..and i have yet to see him receive any checks or money from the taxpayers!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#13 Mar 25, 2009
Is this a public school? If so, remove the song. If private, go ahead. And a waste of money....
My God

Bradenton, FL

#14 Mar 26, 2009
Conscious Colonel wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's get real.
are you jealous because you only get one check a month, while........sitting around eating bananas and writing nonsense on the internet.

“The Inevitable”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#15 Mar 26, 2009
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
Is this a public school? If so, remove the song. If private, go ahead. And a waste of money....
Look what opened her mouth again and looked like a fool.

“The Inevitable”

Location hidden

#16 Mar 26, 2009
This song is not about a certain religion, It is exactly what we do day to day. And it’s on our government money.

You place your hand on His bible, when you swear to tell the truth.
His name is on our greatest monuments, an' all our money too.
An' when we pledge allegiance, there's no doubt where we stand:
There's no separation, we're one nation under Him!
Chorus
In God, we still trust here in America,
He's the one we turn to every time the going gets rough.
He is the source of all our strength, the one who watches over us.
Here in America, in God, we still trust.
Instrumental break.
Now there are those among us, Who want to push Him out.
And erase his name from everything, This country's all about.
From the schoolhouse, to the courthouse,
They're silencing His word,
And now it's time for all believers, To make our voices heard!
Chorus

Here in America, here in America,
Here in America,

“Nuff Said!”

Since: May 08

Branford, Fl

#18 Mar 26, 2009
I don't have a problem with it however I do have a problem with a few who want to dictate what the masses should follow. But at the same time we all have the right to our own opinions.

Location hidden

#19 Mar 26, 2009
our country was NOT founded on religion..it was founded on freedom OF religion...many of the founding fathers were members of secret societies such as mason, illuminati, templar nights and quite a few dabbled in the occult. the constitution plainly mentiones seperation of church and state..but this song says there is NO seperation...not to mention the many references to pushing God out of the school system and what-not..that is about as far from the seperation of church and state as you can get! NO religion belongs in public school...unless offered as an elective course to high school students, such as a world religion class. our school system is in shambles..many schools are understafed, underfunded, limited supplies....and teachers are woefully underpaid...many schools are failing and turning out kids who can barely read or write..we dont need God to be taught in school, we need education taught in schools! and yes, i AM a Christian!

“The Inevitable”

Location hidden

#20 Mar 26, 2009
The "establishment of religion" clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government, can openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organization or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect "a wall of separation between church and State." (Justice Hugo Black, U. S. Supreme Court, Everson v. Board of Education, 1947. Quoted by John M. Swomley, Jr., Religion, The State, & The Schools, New York: Pegasus, 1968, pp. 21-22.)

Now Scott don't make me give you a history lesson.

Location hidden

#21 Mar 26, 2009
Not adding up wrote:
The "establishment of religion" clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government, can openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organization or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect "a wall of separation between church and State." (Justice Hugo Black, U. S. Supreme Court, Everson v. Board of Education, 1947. Quoted by John M. Swomley, Jr., Religion, The State, & The Schools, New York: Pegasus, 1968, pp. 21-22.)
Now Scott don't make me give you a history lesson.
but this song clearly states there is NO separation....i just think religion, any religion, doesnt belong in a public educaiton system. kids can barely read or write...schools are underfunded, understaffed, and teachers are woefully underpaid...get away from religion, especially when they know its going to cause controversy, and educate children..i like for my kids to learn about God, so therefore they go to a christian based school.

Jacksonville, FL

#22 Mar 26, 2009
it's a song, not a religion class...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diamond Rio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diamond Rio One Believer CAN'T FIND! HELP! (Jul '08) May '11 Darren Mullins 3
News NewSt. Johns superintendent proposes $140,000 s... (Mar '10) Mar '10 reading st augustine 1
Looking for Diamondīs (Mar '09) Mar '09 Christian Berger 1
India may soon have rough diamond Futures (Nov '07) Feb '09 diamond trader 2
News Clay Mills helps craft country hit for pop rock... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Jen 1
Diamond Rio DVD Question???? (Sep '08) Sep '08 Tom 1
News Concert Review: Lonestar and Diamond Rio (Aug '08) Aug '08 Medic144 9
More from around the web