Smith: Bylines are awarded; and about those 'Dead Kennedys'

Full story: Daily Democrat

Every now and then The Democrat will be criticized for not putting a "byline" on a story to tell who authored it.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Dino

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

When i was younger i remember that one of my English teachers would refer to the daily democrat as the "daily disappointed"; after a college education, i finally know why.

No with a B.A/B.S and above actually takes this establishment seriously. I've heard many explanations; Jim no longer has that "reporter spark", the editor just gave up on real reporting, Jim has become part of the political system in Woodland, etc.

Whatever the reasons, this paper is in deep troubles. Police reports keep showing a one sided version of reality in Woodland. You have actually stated in an editorial that the mayor bought you a glass of wine at a community event--should those types of things be going on between politicians and editors of newspapers?

You have been the editor for the longest time. I hope you will get promoted or something, but i highly doubt that; maybe you've already settled or have become trapped.

Things are changing, and im sure most people will agree when i say that you are an old relic of what has not. Many people say you are anti latino, that you dont care for what latinos, who are not on the city council or school boards, are doing in Woodland.

I dont think you're anti latino, i think you are anti "new". You wont cover the civil rights commission, protests or anything that may tarnish Jeff Reisig, Ed Prieto, of the Mayor of Woodland.

Please do Woodland a favor, retire. I'm sure at your prime you were an excellent reporter, in your time you were probably very passionate.

But this is not your time anymore. Your time is long gone, and with it a different culture and demographic.

Dont take this as an insult, which you probably will.

Andy Porras once said Jim Smith does not have a care for latinos. I disagree with him. Jim does not have a care for the profession.
Mini Maricopa

Marysville, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Dino wrote:
I dont think you're anti latino, i think you are anti "new". You wont cover the civil rights commission, protests or anything that may tarnish Jeff Reisig, Ed Prieto, of the Mayor of Woodland.
To be fair, the DD covered the civil rights commission last month and has an article in the paper TODAY about the march in Woodland focused on the Gutierrez killing.
Woodland Conservative

West Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Lighten up "Dino", the DD is a small town paper with no budget and virtually no staff. They make mistakes, as do we all. What's wrong with anyone buying anyone a glass of wine? If your integrity is for sale for a $5 glass of wine I feel sorry for you.

I don't particularly like the paper, and I've never met Jim - I suspect he's working his butt off trying to keep the paper from going under and put something out every day. The newspaper business is tought these days. Mostly I see stories of some local interest and the local contraversy in the paper, if someone wants national news read the Bee or watch CNN or Fox News, the network news is no better than the news in the DD. The best part of the DD for me is seeing the local folks do well in whatever, especially the kids. The group in DC, or just back, should make the town proud, as should any of our kids teams that do well in sports, the Folklorio (which the paper covers reglarly), Dustin Pedroia who recently more than made up for a stupid remark like an adult should, local adults who do good things for their community and are recognized for it - and I like Walt Lucas' column. Those are all good things for the community, makes up for a log of mistakes in my book.
InTheLoop

Woodland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Woodland Conservative wrote:
Lighten up "Dino", the DD is a small town paper with no budget and virtually no staff. They make mistakes, as do we all. What's wrong with anyone buying anyone a glass of wine? If your integrity is for sale for a $5 glass of wine I feel sorry for you.
I don't particularly like the paper, and I've never met Jim - I suspect he's working his butt off trying to keep the paper from going under and put something out every day. The newspaper business is tought these days. Mostly I see stories of some local interest and the local contraversy in the paper, if someone wants national news read the Bee or watch CNN or Fox News, the network news is no better than the news in the DD. The best part of the DD for me is seeing the local folks do well in whatever, especially the kids. The group in DC, or just back, should make the town proud, as should any of our kids teams that do well in sports, the Folklorio (which the paper covers reglarly), Dustin Pedroia who recently more than made up for a stupid remark like an adult should, local adults who do good things for their community and are recognized for it - and I like Walt Lucas' column. Those are all good things for the community, makes up for a log of mistakes in my book.
Well said, that is why I continue to purchase the paper even though I read most of my news online. I want to ensure we continue to have a "community" paper!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dead Kennedys Discussions

Search the Dead Kennedys Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Jello Biafra on why he does not plan on reuniti... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Songfacts 1
I'm East Bay Ray. And I Think YouTube Has Force... (Feb '13) Feb '13 brett threat 1
Dead Kennedys bring their gold sound to Hemet (Jun '08) Nov '12 me was there 3
Entertainment Feature (Mar '12) Mar '12 T McCabe 2
'Hardcore Is a Complete, Legitimate California-... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Parent 1
Jello Biafra Celebrates His Big 5-0 (Jun '08) Jun '08 punk to the rock 2
Another Dead Kennedys Greatest-Hits Coming (Oct '07) Oct '07 Ethan 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••