David Duchovny, who plays a sex-obsessed character on TV, enter...

There are 38 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Aug 28, 2008, titled David Duchovny, who plays a sex-obsessed character on TV, enter.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

David Duchovny has entered a rehabilitation facility for sex addiction. In a statement released Thursday by his lawyer, Stanton Stein, the actor said he did so voluntarily, adding: "I ask for respect and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JBT

United States

#5 Aug 28, 2008
And this is considered newsworthy?
george

Pepperell, MA

#14 Aug 29, 2008
Oh please! This is all about publicity for a cable tv show.
Chewbone

Colchester, CT

#15 Aug 29, 2008
When he is rehab'd, he will write a book and call it "Sexphiles".
Fed Up

Norfolk, VA

#16 Aug 29, 2008
Sex addiction is real and no joking matter. The chemical effects on the body are very similar to those of drug addiction. Persuing their addiction, people have destroyed relationships, careers, fredom, and eventheir own lives. STDs from unprotected sex and suicide are realities of sex addiction.

And it really is not about sex itself. Sex is just the method of "acting out" their addictive behavior. It is about the euphoric high they get during the persuit and while they are acting out. Then the big crash comes just like coming down from a drug induced high. It is their "method of poison". And many sex addicts have multiple addictions such as being drug addicts and alcoholics.

And BJ, people can get help for this. I surmise you were jesting about it but there are effective 12 step programs and residential clinics for numerous types of addicts, including sex addicts.

Maybe Duchovney wanted this subject brought to light and out in the open to emphasize there is help and hope for many sex addicts. And it hits all social strata.

Addicts still have to suffer the concequences of their behavior. In the aftermath of their actions, there is hope in recovery just like with drug addiction but they have to want it bad enough.
KNIUQS

United States

#17 Aug 29, 2008
YA GOTTA BE BLOWIN ME
KNIUQS

United States

#18 Aug 29, 2008
Fed Up wrote:
Sex addiction is real and no joking matter. The chemical effects on the body are very similar to those of drug addiction. Persuing their addiction, people have destroyed relationships, careers, fredom, and eventheir own lives. STDs from unprotected sex and suicide are realities of sex addiction.
And it really is not about sex itself. Sex is just the method of "acting out" their addictive behavior. It is about the euphoric high they get during the persuit and while they are acting out. Then the big crash comes just like coming down from a drug induced high. It is their "method of poison". And many sex addicts have multiple addictions such as being drug addicts and alcoholics.
And BJ, people can get help for this. I surmise you were jesting about it but there are effective 12 step programs and residential clinics for numerous types of addicts, including sex addicts.
Maybe Duchovney wanted this subject brought to light and out in the open to emphasize there is help and hope for many sex addicts. And it hits all social strata.
Addicts still have to suffer the concequences of their behavior. In the aftermath of their actions, there is hope in recovery just like with drug addiction but they have to want it bad enough.
HUH?
George North Port Fl

Quincy, MA

#19 Aug 29, 2008
George from MA you got it right... Its probably a publicity Stunt..I love movies but when I hear about the personal lives of most actors I get sick..So whether he is a sex addict or a liar its just mor garbage coming out of Hollywood...
Smiley

AOL

#20 Aug 29, 2008
This is "world wide news"?????? Some TV phony making the MC's headlines????Who cares about these "creeps"???? No wonder the newspaper industry is dying.
Jeff

United States

#21 Aug 29, 2008
If I were married to Tea Leoni, I'd be obsessed with sex too.
Joebly Wrell

Winsted, CT

#23 Aug 29, 2008
Fed Up wrote:
I think that we have a psycho-babbler and enabler among us.

I like sex. A lot. As often as I can get it. From my wife of 15 years.

Does that make me a sex addict?

He got caught cheating. Big time. He did the same thing that the glitterati and the politicians do when they get caught ... blame it on some psycho-behavior that absolves them from the responsibility of their poor decision-making.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Joebly Wrell

Winsted, CT

#24 Aug 29, 2008
Jeff wrote:
If I were married to Tea Leoni, I'd be obsessed with sex too.
The odd thing is that he wants sex with other women. Go figure.
John

Bristol, CT

#25 Aug 29, 2008
"My name is David...and I...(sob)I like b00bies"
George North Port Fl

Quincy, MA

#27 Aug 29, 2008
Joebly Wrell wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that we have a psycho-babbler and enabler among us.
I like sex. A lot. As often as I can get it. From my wife of 15 years.
Does that make me a sex addict?
He got caught cheating. Big time. He did the same thing that the glitterati and the politicians do when they get caught ... blame it on some psycho-behavior that absolves them from the responsibility of their poor decision-making.
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
I'm glad you responded to the Pysho-babbler the way you did..Our culture has become a joke in regard to personal responsibility.. What makes us free is our ability to choose right or wrong..
Will

Allentown, PA

#28 Aug 29, 2008
Rehab for sex addiction? What, is he joining a monastary?
Take me away

Hartford, CT

#29 Aug 29, 2008
Apparently they have a name for my affliction. And I thought I was just healthy!
Fed Up

Norfolk, VA

#30 Aug 29, 2008
My last paragraph states sex addicts still have to suffer the concequences of their behavior. I absolve no one of having to atone for their actions. Sex addiction is no more an excuise than alcoholism or drug addiction.

There is a huge difference in having a healthy active sex drive and an addiction someone can't control theirself. Like other addictions it is self destructive. The tragic thing about all addictions they are also destructive to others. Often the only way an addict is willing to get help is after he or she has destroyed their life and is suffereing the just deserved concequences.

Pardon me if I am trying to shed some light on this addictive destructive behavior. And I am far from a psycho-babbling enabeler. Anyone familiar with 12 step programs knows the addict has to admit to theirselves first and then to others their behavior and make no excuses about it.

I am not defending Mr. Duchovney nor trying to make excuises for him. I am talking about sex addiction in general. And from the comments on this forum it seems that knowledge about this subject is still in the dark ages. I will be one of the first people to step up and say "if you do the crime you do the time".
WHIG

East Hartford, CT

#31 Aug 29, 2008
Just remember.....for every good looking woman out there....there is a guy thats tired of "($*@(* ing her.

“Hey! What are you lookin' at??”

Since: Dec 07

Newport News

#32 Aug 29, 2008
My right hand is a sex addict.
LOLOLOLOL

Newport News, VA

#33 Aug 29, 2008
The pre-req to entering the program is to say..." I did not have sex with that woman".
Bad guy

Easton, PA

#34 Aug 29, 2008
WHIG wrote:
Just remember.....for every good looking woman out there....there is a guy thats tired of "($*@(* ing her.
I believe in a variation of that idea, that for every beautiful woman, somewhere there's a man who is tired of her stupid nonsense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Duchovny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mulder and Scully return as Fox TV revives 'The... Apr '15 Paul Michael 2
News Researchers discover first fossils of 'weird' c... Mar '15 A_Friend 2
News The truth has always been there Feb '15 freethinkradio do... 1
David Duchovny - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '14 Mobetta 4
News David Duchovny touts Russian pride in beer ad (Jul '14) Jul '14 Puerile 1
News Rock Report: Sebastian Bach Gears Up For ... (Jul '12) Apr '14 4 Stone Cold Prin... 13
News Duchovny and Anderson say they want more 'X-Files' (Oct '13) Nov '13 MsDi 2
More from around the web