Dalai Lama could help bring peace to ...

Dalai Lama could help bring peace to Middle East

There are 37 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Sep 3, 2007, titled Dalai Lama could help bring peace to Middle East. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I almost never attend a film, maybe once in five years, and I usually conclude I could have done something better with my time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
assaji

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#1 Sep 3, 2007
I believe the Dalai Lama and the truths he presents, are mankind's last and only chance for peace on this earth.
Bitter EX democrackkk

Greenville, SC

#2 Sep 4, 2007
Totally agree. His wisdom is amazing.
Phurbu Thinley

Nanded, India

#3 Sep 4, 2007
Dr. Llyod, I appreciate your proposal, which is indeed a source of encourgament for humanity and for Tibetans like, it a matter of pride to understand the strength of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's wisdom and message of compassion, peace and religious harmony in the world.

But, you must also consider the the plight of Tibetan people and their struggle for freedom. For Tibetans, His Holiness is an indispensable source of hope, and even after almost fifty years since we lost our country, Tibetan have still not given up their faith in human values that truth, dialogue and non-violent peaceful approach is the ultimate solution in restoring our freedom.

As His Holiness continue to promote peace and religious harmony around the world, He has greater mission to lead Tibetan people. How can His Holiness advocate peace and freedom in other places, when there is no peace in His own people's homeland.

But, His Holiness has always noted that promotion of human values and religious harmony are his key committments.
Phurbu Thinley

Nanded, India

#4 Sep 4, 2007
Dr. Llyod, I appreciate your proposal, which is indeed a source of encourgament for humanity and for Tibetans. It is a matter of pride to understand the strength of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's wisdom and, message of compassion, peace and religious harmony in the world.

But, you must also consider the plight of Tibetan people and their struggle for freedom. For Tibetans, His Holiness is an indispensable source of hope.Even after almost fifty years since Tibet was illegally occupied by Communist China using unimaginable violence, Tibetan have still not lost their faith in human values- that truth, dialogue and non-violent peaceful approach is the ultimate and the most meaningful solution in restoring our freedom.

As His Holiness continues to promote peace and religious harmony around the world, He has greater mission to lead Tibetan people. How can His Holiness advocate peace and freedom in other places, when there is no peace and freedom in His own people's homeland?

But, His Holiness has always noted that promotion of human values and religious harmony are his lifetime key committments.
cgo

Asheville, NC

#5 Sep 4, 2007
In regards to Phurbu Thinley's comment, I am imagining a dialogue where the question could be asked:"Mr. Dalai Lama, you speak of peace, but I, a palestinian have lost my land, what do you know about that!".

Since: Feb 07

Asheville, NC

#6 Sep 4, 2007
Dalai Lama could help bring peace to Middle East
He did a real bang up job with Tibet.

Now they can't even reincarnate without a permit from the government:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/new...
1911-govt

Elm City, NC

#7 Sep 4, 2007
Do you really think the muslims would respect the Dalai Lama?

He's just another infidel to those murdering savages. What will bring peace is an overwhelming force that puts those savages back in the stone age where they belong.

You will never have peace with a religion whose main tenet is killing non-believers.
Hempseed

Auburn, AL

#8 Sep 4, 2007
The Dolly Parton could bring a piece to Asheville.

“Poser”

Since: Sep 07

Auburn, AL

#9 Sep 4, 2007
I lost my watch. Anybody know about that?
Bitter EX democrackkk

Greenville, SC

#10 Sep 4, 2007
timpeck wrote:
<quoted text>
He did a real bang up job with Tibet.
Now they can't even reincarnate without a permit from the government:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/new...
Overall, Tibet is rather peaceful, even occupied by the red chinese. People still visit there.
Tibet was taken over when the Dali Lama was very young. They smuggled him out where he lives in India.

www.savetibet.org
Bitter EX democrackkk

Greenville, SC

#11 Sep 4, 2007
Hempseed wrote:
I lost my watch. Anybody know about that?
You've lost more than your watch...
Bitter EX democrackkk

Greenville, SC

#12 Sep 4, 2007
Amazing that there is a response from India on here...who knew the LTEs here would get such attention?
local and fed up

Manteo, NC

#13 Sep 4, 2007
I doubt a man who believes we are reincarnated as animals-but hopefully not cats- can offer much ETERNAL hope to ANYONE.

And just what did he do to become HOLY?
teb184

Eddyville, KY

#14 Sep 4, 2007
As for the idea that the US has oppressed the countries from which it purchased oil -- what a proposterous idea! If those corrupt governments cared for their own people, our purchases could have fueled a stable and flourishing economy. Peace in the Middle East is prevented by Muslim fundamentalists who insist ONLY on their own way.

You believe that you are expressing the exact opposite of this notion when you say that the acceptance of "many truths" is necessary to peace. I think you believe that because, well, that is Buddhist belief. Christians believe in Absolute Truth. To say that acceptance of "many truths" is necessary to peace may sound open-minded. It is, however, tantamount to saying that the world must see things YOUR way. A belief in Absolute Truth through Jesus Christ is not the equivalent of forcing that belief on other people.

“Poser”

Auburn, AL

#15 Sep 4, 2007
I could do the dali lamba in my younger years. my feet fail me now.

Little Switzerland, NC

#16 Sep 4, 2007
Hempseed wrote:
I could do the dali lamba in my younger years. my feet fail me now.
So how long has your brain failed you?

“Poser”

Auburn, AL

#17 Sep 4, 2007
It comes and goes.

Satyam

Location hidden

#18 Sep 4, 2007
If the Dalai Lama has so much pull he should start with the gang in the White House but he best move with haste or it will soon be too late.
Rijohn-BlkMtn

United States

#19 Sep 4, 2007
I've read some of the Dalai Lama's works and perceive him to be a wise and thoughtful individual. However, I doubt people with radical or hateful agendas would listen to him. The eastern philosopher/teacher/thinker Jiddu Krishnamurti conducted talks world wide from age 30 until he was almost 90! It seems the folks that need to hear these guys the most have their heads tucked neatly away.

Satyam

Location hidden

#20 Sep 4, 2007
Rijohn-BlkMtn wrote:
I've read some of the Dalai Lama's works and perceive him to be a wise and thoughtful individual. However, I doubt people with radical or hateful agendas would listen to him. The eastern philosopher/teacher/thinker Jiddu Krishnamurti conducted talks world wide from age 30 until he was almost 90! It seems the folks that need to hear these guys the most have their heads tucked neatly away.
Are we really talking about radical or hateful agendas when we speak of peace in the Middle East? I think not. There certainly is no discussions to be had with terrorist organizations.

You really ought not to have dragged J Krishnamurti into this fray. To speak of such people in deprecating tones is to simply be ignorant. You could do a lot worse than listen to what a man like that has to say, not insult those who do. perhaps it is your head that is tucked neatly away.

"A consistent thinker is a thoughtless person, because he conforms to a pattern; he repeats phrases and thinks in a groove."
Jiddu Krishnamurti

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dalai Lama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News When Buddhists were Public Enemy No. 1 (Feb '15) Feb '15 Learn prior to ta... 3
PE: You must be pretty retarded if you believe ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 PATRIOT_Who Loves... 1
News Dalai Lama (Apr '11) Aug '14 paul likes crack 10
..POLITICAL..Parties...spy.. (Nov '13) Mar '14 squeezers 2
News Hawaii begins debate over whether to legalize g... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Sterkfontein Swar... 10
News Tributes pour in for Toronto Sun co-founder Pet... (May '13) May '13 sad 1
...The...EPOCH ..TIMES... (Mar '13) Mar '13 paul SHYKORA arts 3
More from around the web