High-risk offender Gregory James Venn...

High-risk offender Gregory James Venn, soon-to-be released

There are 4 comments on the www.cbc.ca story from Aug 30, 2008, titled High-risk offender Gregory James Venn, soon-to-be released . In it, www.cbc.ca reports that:

Canadian Crime News, National: Sex Offences/Offenders

Canadian Sex Offender Registry

Calgary, Alberta, Sex Offender

CBC NEWS & Calgary Police Service

Calgary police are warning the public about the prison release of a man with a history of violent crimes.

Gregory James Venn, 45, is due to be released in the Calgary area on Sunday after serving an eight-year sentence for breaking and entering with intent.

Calgary police said they are still concerned about his risk to reoffend because he is a diagnosed psychopath.

Venn is Caucasian, 5’8” tall, 190 lbs., with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"I can tell you historically for Mr. Venn, the longest he's gone without reoffending is within 90 days," said Sgt. Todd Zelensky of the high-risk offender program at a news conference on Friday.

"The last time he was released in 1996 [the time] from released to reoffending was 23 days.

Venn had been declared a dangerous offender, a designation that allows for an indefinite prison term. But he successfully appealed the status in 2000.

Venn's last arrest was in 1996 during a police sting operation. He was caught breaking into an apartment where an undercover female officer was waiting.

He had been released from prison only weeks earlier after serving a sentence for breaking into a home in 1987 and sexually assaulting a woman. He was convicted of similar charges for an attack in 1982.

For the 1996 break-in, Venn was sentenced to 16 years in prison, but was given credit for eight due to the 5.5 years he spent in custody during the trial process. His release on Sunday completes the remaining eight years of his sentence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cbc.ca.

Calgary Gal

Canada

#1 Sep 14, 2008
I fail to see why this man is being released. Given his history of re-offences in such frequent numbers, it's pretty simple to me - keep him behind bars.

I'm a single woman in the city of Calgary and the staggering number of released serial rapists this summer...is enough to make me leave the city for good.
Scared

Calgary, Canada

#2 Sep 24, 2008
I saw gregory this past wk, and helped him, I didn't know who it was at the time, but got a very creepy feeling, so I looked up the name, its still makes me shiver inside, knowing his actions, Its sick and I really don't believe he should be out, knowing where he is and lives isn't fun, and I seriously want to move because of this information. With someone with such a high risk to re offend why would the government put its citizens in harms way ???
gfdfg

Calgary, Canada

#4 Jan 19, 2009
what the hell#$%@#$%^
LOCK HIM UP

Calgary, Canada

#5 Aug 9, 2009
I Know What U Mean AP-Scared. I Saw Him At DairyQueen The Other Day and He Is So Creepy and UGLY! The Way He Was Staring At These 2 Gurls In Front Of The Line Was Not Normal. He Is A Short Little Pig.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sara Ann Rowe : guilty in Calgary prostitute's ... (Nov '08) Mar 5 fam 8
News Three Top Hells Angels admit selling drugs (Dec '08) Sep '16 Rhoda Ambrosia -... 3
News Ex church minister Robert James Duthie fit to s... (Jun '08) Aug '16 JUDGES INDABAG 16
News Curfew issue splits citizens and city leaders (Dec '15) May '16 Alb needs 9
News Former Regina youth centre worker Ronald Anthon... (Aug '08) Dec '15 Elise Gingerich 3
News James Ross Armour accused of trying to lure teens (Oct '08) Oct '15 just an update 18
News B.C. daycare worker Kyle David Lennax, jailed f... (Mar '09) Sep '15 Parent of another... 2
More from around the web