Blue Lake man shot on SR 299 identifi...

Blue Lake man shot on SR 299 identified: Coroner's office identifie...

There are 193 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Aug 10, 2010, titled Blue Lake man shot on SR 299 identified: Coroner's office identifie.... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

The Humboldt County Coroner's Office identified the man killed by Humboldt County Sheriff's deputies Saturday on State Route 299 as 31-year-old Robert Garth of Blue Lake.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Koalabear2525

San Francisco, CA

#1 Aug 10, 2010
what happen to the first guy that called it in ?
lol

United States

#2 Aug 10, 2010
Did he play the banjo by any chance?
The Queen

Arcata, CA

#3 Aug 10, 2010
Protect and serve. Great Job Deputies!!!
wow

Daly City, CA

#4 Aug 10, 2010
How many HCSO deputies standing around, on overtime, does it take to investigate and mop up?

You've got some kind of word up there in Humboldt County.

No small wonder all of the dcecent people are slowly leaving the area.
Agatha

Crescent City, CA

#7 Aug 10, 2010
billybob wrote:
<quoted text>If you were one of those people that left I want to be the first to thank you. If the rest of the morons, I mean people, that are leaving are like you then the local area is already improving.
Absolutely. I wonder which lawyer will show up to save the day and try to cost the county millions? Can anyone guess the sleaze bags name?
trained

Whitethorn, CA

#8 Aug 10, 2010
i am wondering why a taser was not used? instead
Thank You Deputies

Georgetown, TX

#10 Aug 10, 2010
trained wrote:
i am wondering why a taser was not used? instead
Read the article. The answer to your question is in it.
PoG

Millbrae, CA

#11 Aug 10, 2010
Party On Garth.
My Question Too

Georgetown, TX

#12 Aug 10, 2010
Koalabear2525 wrote:
what happen to the first guy that called it in ?
I was wondering the same thing. I wonder what the criminal Garth's family is up to per the quote "The family member asked that anyone with information regarding the incident contact Garth's family." I'll be that they think they're "entitled" to a few bucks from the hard-working taxpayers.
Goodness Gracious

Walnut Creek, CA

#13 Aug 10, 2010
These law enforcement officers are out of control. Rake versus guns?!!! There is no need for this to have caused a loss of life. And for all you smart asses mouthing off about the taser-- there is NO reason it couldn't have been used. They shoot far away, not the little ones we can cary that you have to touch to the person. This is ridiculous. More deaths on the hands of law enforcement. I for one am troubled that MY tax dollars pay murderers.
Justice for Garth

Arcata, CA

#15 Aug 10, 2010
I ask anyone this question. If a man came at you with a rake handle would you shoot to kill? Would you use your pepper spray? Taser? Go for your gun and blow him away? I'm sure lot's of you will say he didn't deserve to live because he was homeless, or crazy or both, but if he were your brother would you say the same?
This man lost his life because HCSO shoot first and ask questions later. Human life should not be taken. Because someone carries a badge it doesn't make it okay to kill.
Puh-lease

Mckinleyville, CA

#17 Aug 10, 2010
I hope all you idiots complaining about the cops not using tasers get beat in the head by a druggie with a metal rake. Maybe after a few wacks your eyes will open.
What

Eureka, CA

#19 Aug 10, 2010
Why is everyone mad at the Sheriff Dept? It sounds like the guy was a little crazy. You can't say that you would have done it different or that they weren't afraid for there life, it wasn't you, you will never know, and its easy to sit at home and think about what you would do, if you all are so perfect maybe you need to sign up for the academy, so Humboldt County could be a peace, love, crazy people, drug pushing, homeless town. That would be GREAT!!!!
KSG

San Ramon, CA

#20 Aug 10, 2010
Puh-lease wrote:
I hope all you idiots complaining about the cops not using tasers get beat in the head by a druggie with a metal rake. Maybe after a few wacks your eyes will open.
I couldn't agree more. I wish all the people that were not involved could shut their big mouths, and get a life.
JTC

Mckinleyville, CA

#21 Aug 10, 2010
it is not that the public is "mad" at the officers, there are some of us, who feel they should use their mind more often, two cops, and a rake handle?....tackle, tazer, manipulate, pepperspray etc....they had options, and chose the most deadly, to kill. i am not defending the crook, he deserved to be held responsible...but this is not Iraq....the cops need to be held responsible for poor decision making in this situation, and it is not the first time in humboldt they have chosen the "killing card".....
KKG

San Ramon, CA

#22 Aug 10, 2010
What wrote:
Why is everyone mad at the Sheriff Dept? It sounds like the guy was a little crazy. You can't say that you would have done it different or that they weren't afraid for there life, it wasn't you, you will never know, and its easy to sit at home and think about what you would do, if you all are so perfect maybe you need to sign up for the academy, so Humboldt County could be a peace, love, crazy people, drug pushing, homeless town. That would be GREAT!!!!
Thank you for not being oblivious to reality like a great deal of Humboldt County is. It is a lot easier to say you wouldn't do it, but when put in the situation you may act differently, oh except all of the perfect people on here that would have just used a tazer or pulled out their "TV portrayed bad guy fighting martial arts", if you read the article there was contact made between the officer and the suspect (or how many idiots would refer to him "victim".
none

United States

#23 Aug 10, 2010
OMG! Not to be inscensitive, but they want to do an autopsy? "Uhhh I wonder how he died?" Duh he was shot a hundred times... jeese...
park city

Vernal, UT

#24 Aug 10, 2010
aggressive and armed with rake handle... hmmmm. sounds like another one of those idiot cagefighters...
Tase him bro....
LEVEL HEADED

Arcata, CA

#25 Aug 10, 2010
Justice for Garth wrote:
I ask anyone this question. If a man came at you with a rake handle would you shoot to kill? Would you use your pepper spray? Taser? Go for your gun and blow him away? I'm sure lot's of you will say he didn't deserve to live because he was homeless, or crazy or both, but if he were your brother would you say the same?
This man lost his life because HCSO shoot first and ask questions later. Human life should not be taken. Because someone carries a badge it doesn't make it okay to kill.
Get real. This guy was trying to hurt an unarmed citizen with a weapon(the rake). What do you think he was trying to do? It was an act of violence, he had a history of violence. It was on last nights local news that he assualt a juvenile. The officers acted in self-defense. Everyone seems to forget this guy failed to comply with directions. If he had he would still be alive, to assault another day thanks to the justice systems failure to severely punish those violating the law.
Lost Coast Alumni

United States

#26 Aug 10, 2010
Justice for Garth wrote:
I ask anyone this question. If a man came at you with a rake handle would you shoot to kill? Would you use your pepper spray? Taser? Go for your gun and blow him away? I'm sure lot's of you will say he didn't deserve to live because he was homeless, or crazy or both, but if he were your brother would you say the same?
This man lost his life because HCSO shoot first and ask questions later. Human life should not be taken. Because someone carries a badge it doesn't make it okay to kill.
A couple of things I see here. Garth had a criminal record for assualt with a weapon and as I read it some mental health issues. Why is the family suddenly concerned of the actions taken against Garth when it all could have been avoided. The officers did not start this, they responded to a call of an assualt in progress. Where were the concerned family members? How much time have they expended to keep Garth under control so this would not have happened? Garth's family had years and numerous ways to get him help, the deputies had seconds to make sense of what was confronting them and how to best deal with it. Maybe the deputies should go after the family members in civil court for putting them and the assualted man in this position!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coroner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Remains identified as missing Vicksburg woman (Mar '13) Jan '16 ihTEMURDERS 5
News Coroner: Omega Protein victim died from head tr... (Jul '14) Jul '14 roy 1
News Man Electrocuted Trimming Tree (Apr '13) Apr '13 AunieEm2 3
News Worker Dies after Accident at Hagel Metal Fabri... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Anonymous 1
News Suspect in Shelton double homicide arrested (Jun '12) Jun '12 Kim 1
News Copper cable thief electrocuted (Nov '11) Nov '11 lizzie 1
News Coroner Releases ID Of Woman Whose Body Was Fou... (May '11) May '11 yep 2