Cornel West On Obama's Nobel Prize: Wonders about criteria for awarding him esteemed honor

Oct 12, 2009 | Posted by: TheNewsMan | Full story: www.eurweb.com

*In the days following Barack Obama's unexpected awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize, reaction has been mixed among the public.

The President's latest accomplishment was topic of conversation for Dr. Cornel West, a longtime supporter of Obama, who addressed the situation while promoting his new memoir, "Brother West: Living and Loving Out Loud."

Although he expressed his joy over Obama receiving the Prize, the activist was left wondering what factors contributed to his friend receiving the honor.

"I don't understand the criteria of the Nobel Prize committee," West told EUR's Lee Bailey. "They give it to Martin King, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu. I can understand that. They give it to Teddy Roosevelt, Henry Kissinger, two of the most pro-war people in the 20th Century. They give them the Peace prize. I say well ... I don't know.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Well Cornel West will be in Baltimore this Friday at the central Branch of the Enoch Pratt Library. I hope to discuss this and other matters with him at the time--if possible.

I understand his point. Peace makers and fighers for justice like MLK< Tutu and Mandela get the Nobel Prize. But so do warmongers like Teddy Roosevelt and global imperialists like Kissinger.

Though Obama seems above the level of Kissinger, he has yet to approach the level of King or Mandela.
We'll have to wait and see. Obama, who I supported, seems to have the POTENTIAL for greatness. But can he and will he rise to the occasion?
He has made some important new steps. But we will have to wait and see how far he will go.

“Slap The Taste Out Yo' Mouf”

Since: Sep 07

H-Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

President Obama has already reached that level of greatness at least in the eyes of the public. He is the only president who gets points, or loses points for simply being who he is. President Barack Obama has no control over the color of his skin, but he gets the highest accolades for simply being the first african american president. The same applies to the Nobel Peace Prize; it doesn't really matter what his actual acheivements are they will always in the eyes of the world be magnified times 100, simply because his persona, his image defy what the american paradigm proposes is not possible. When you destroy these kinds of archetypes you change the world whether you want to or not. The president has changed this country by simply being a black man in the White House. Normally you would say there's nowhere to go but down but in the president's case, the sky is the limit.

Poquoson, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

he has made the world feel all warm and fuzzy about the US. we will have one giant campfire and sing kumbaya. (but watch out for the guys with flaming marshmallows--they're al queda, and they don't really care for that tune...)
Ace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Obama is the biggest joke of the 21st century..

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

GoodNewz wrote:
he has made the world feel all warm and fuzzy about the US. we will have one giant campfire and sing kumbaya.(but watch out for the guys with flaming marshmallows--they're al queda, and they don't really care for that tune...)
Well, Obama shows signs of changing opinions toward the USA even in the Middle East, though not as much there as elsewhere. If he succeeds he could deeply undermine those Muslims extremists when it becomes impossible to make fellow Muslims believe that America is the great Satan.
But I fear Obama may blow it in Afghanistan if he intensifies the war.

Since: Aug 09

Altamonte Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

" the american paradigm proposes is not possible"

It's not the " american paradigm " that deems it impossible.
It's the whining of inept people who prefer excuse making over taking ACTION that holds them back.
Obama himself PROVES this concept.

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Redkat wrote:
President Obama has already reached that level of greatness at least in the eyes of the public. He is the only president who gets points, or loses points for simply being who he is. President Barack Obama has no control over the color of his skin, but he gets the highest accolades for simply being the first african american president. The same applies to the Nobel Peace Prize; it doesn't really matter what his actual acheivements are they will always in the eyes of the world be magnified times 100, simply because his persona, his image defy what the american paradigm proposes is not possible. When you destroy these kinds of archetypes you change the world whether you want to or not. The president has changed this country by simply being a black man in the White House. Normally you would say there's nowhere to go but down but in the president's case, the sky is the limit.
Obama seem to be trying to chart a new direction in foreign affairs which moves somewhat away from the old militarism. If he succeeds, and also succeeds in bringing about progressive social changes in America, then it will be said of him (as most say of King and Mandela) that the Nobel Prize awarded to him was well deserved.
We will see.
Jawga Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

It ain't easy being a "Magic Negro"!
DobyTheDoggy

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

MonkeyBinness wrote:
<quoted text>
Not any easier than it is for Idiot savant to answer a SIMPLE question, and support his posts...
Nobody needs to answer to nor explain themselves to you.
Jawga Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

MonkeyBinness wrote:
<quoted text>
Not any easier than it is for Idiot savant to answer a SIMPLE question, and support his posts...
But what "gift" was he born with?
jimmy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

MonkeyBinness wrote:
<quoted text>
"He has made some important new steps."
Would you care to expound on this statement, for those of us who are too ignorant to recognize for ourselves to what you might be referring?
yes he's putting our country in debt.

Altamonte Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

ADV wrote:
<quoted text>
His undying mancrush on you is getting CREEPY,Dude.........
You saw the thread about RA and Nappy looking like Wanda Sykes.
That pathetic fool THINKS pasting the same post in 7 different threads "proves" something.
(....OTHER than his obsession with me...)

Altamonte Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Yes, I said pasting,....NO "typo" that time.
Arier

Vernon, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

The gift Osama was born with was his shit-colored skin nothing more. He has accomplished nothing since in there. Much less the less than 2 weeks in office the Nobel board had to view for his application.

Affirmative Action is a wonderful thing. Just look at his knuckle dragging wife. Went to the most prestigious law school in the world, yet failed the bar exam. And some people say blacks are worthless. At least they can expire to hicg places, even if unmerited.
Maury Leibowitz

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Obama isn't even President. Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, and Harry Reed are running things behind the scenes, just like Cheney did with Bush.
The Moor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Arier wrote:
The gift Osama was born with was his shit-colored skin nothing more. He has accomplished nothing since in there. Much less the less than 2 weeks in office the Nobel board had to view for his application.
Affirmative Action is a wonderful thing. Just look at his knuckle dragging wife. Went to the most prestigious law school in the world, yet failed the bar exam. And some people say blacks are worthless. At least they can expire to hicg places, even if unmerited.
AND WHERE DID YOU GRADUATE FROM...WHAT COMMUNITY COLLEGE,LOL!

BE CAREFUL...DON'T CHOKE ON THAT JEALOUSLY!

IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE AN AWFUL LOT OF IT!

Altamonte Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

ADV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I saw his LAME attempt at sticking up for his queen..........
Btw.....She's uglier than a MUD fence built by a blind guy.........
roflmMao!!!!

“The REAL Founding Fathers!!!!!”

Since: Jun 08

Oakland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

Ace wrote:
Obama is the biggest joke of the 21st century..
NO, actually, he has a long way to go before he looks as clownish as GW Bush did and still does. At least Barack can speak correctly. I have never heard him say NUKULAR war...looooool

enjoy the laugh....

http://ebonytamu.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/...

“The REAL Founding Fathers!!!!!”

Since: Jun 08

Oakland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Judged:

ADV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I saw his LAME attempt at sticking up for his queen..........
Btw.....She's uglier than a MUD fence built by a blind guy.........
and....WHO should be worrying about WHAT, again?....Post your stunning photo then, ADV....I have already had my pic up but it is people like Sybil that caused me to take it down...using other people's photos on a fake ID is not at all mature and just may be one of the illegal things going on here...I'll get back to you, K?.....loooooooooooool
Skeptic

Ayer, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

Ahh yes, we're all singing for joy as the dollar tanks, California goes bust, Obmamam foists his new communist order on the USA, the Marxist health care program, that we have no money for, so, we'll just print some more up, no problem.....now the Nobel prize for having done nothing, sounds like an episode of Seinfeld.

Not quite as funny as Seinfeld though.
GoodNewz wrote:
he has made the world feel all warm and fuzzy about the US. we will have one giant campfire and sing kumbaya.(but watch out for the guys with flaming marshmallows--they're al queda, and they don't really care for that tune...)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cornel West Discussions

Search the Cornel West Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Activist, author Cornel West to speak at UTEP B... Dec '13 Kidding 2
Cornel West Calls Sharpton "House Negro of the ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 AlShahrptin 12
The Obama 'Betrayal' (Aug '13) Aug '13 Bob J 1440 1
Cornel West arrested at Supreme Court protest (Oct '11) Oct '11 Savant 74
Cornel West Arrested at Supreme Court Protest (Oct '11) Oct '11 Genie Janie 2
Many African-Americans Show Supporta (Aug '11) Aug '11 fedupwiththemess 9
Commentary: Birthers, Obama and the irony of Co... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Barry Soetoro 44
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••