Citizens' group looks to revive Vallejo's popular Unity Day event

Full story: Vallejo Times-Herald

It was like losing a child. "When you're working on something, then it's over -- that's your baby," Askari Sowonde said of her feeling of dismay when Unity Day was canceled.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Apr 28, 2010
Bigots abound

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Vallejo Together? Can anyone from this group speak to acceptance of all Vallejo citizens... ALL! I have a feeling Vallejo Together is co opted by Vallejo's relgious fringe and is not where this community needs to go..
Please say I am wrong on this.. I really want this kind of group to work in Vallejo, but as long as certain groups (bhudist, muslim, glbt, etc) are tolerated and not truly accepted, we as a community are truly lost.
yuright

Richmond, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Absolutely on target !
take a look

Los Altos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Diversity is a wedge created by politicians and community organizers to force people to fight each other for their own tax money, divide and conquer.
If you give money or show up to these events you show support for the entitlement classes to continue to suck the system dry. Enough, we are taxed enough already.
Jojo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Unity Day? What is this code for? Obviously another Liberal agenda to make folks believe that all are involved, happily coming together, while being back stabbed.
Jojo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Ps ...and the idiots follow, usually under the PC cloud. Foolish anymore! It feels good, but in fact does nothing. Patterns already exist!
Native Vallejoan

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Two people walking across America! Walk Forrest Walk!!
Wanglow

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

"My concern is to how to get the funding"........guess that says it all. ALL these con-artists like this Cooley character think about is how to steal more of OUR tax dollars; a travesty and injustice to use the tragedys Vallejo has experienced as a vehicle to line their own pockets. "Unity Day" my aching A S S, try that BS on those loiterers stinking up our town.
Former REZ

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

As usual nothing good to say about people trying to do something positive. And I'd bet good money that all of the above people don't participate or organize anything but get on here and pick apart anyone that does.

As you much as people like the above hate Vallejo politics attitudes like this is why Vallejo is the way it is - stagnate and stale!
Great Memories

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Don't let the disgruntle few put a damper on the memory of Unity Day. Each and every group was welcome to participate. The City employees, the neighborhood associations and service groups, the cultural dance groups, the religious community, our various historical groups, kids, seniors, the business community, everyone, came together to celebrate Vallejo. This was only a few years ago. This was what made our city so wonderful. The people all wanted to enjoy what is good about Vallejo. The people are still here. The only thing that is holding us back is us. Vallejo is a great town. We can ignore the angry bitter souls and move on. We have great people here and we just need to get together and put it together again. Viva Vallejo!
Unity

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

I just hope Unity is true Unity. Osby Davis and his churchgoing homophobes must stop labeling LGBTs as "sinners going to Hell" (first of all, its their selective interpretation of the Bible, second of all "judge lest ye be judged"!).

If Unity isn't true Unity, its a failure. The violence mentioned in this article didn't include Osby's violent and hate-filled comments (he used the word HATE)
Great memories

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

See, there you go. Unity was a community joining. There was a Rainbow Village even back then. It was not about the Mayor or any politician. It never was. It was about the people and the jewel of a city we have. I remember there were bus and walking tours of our historical neighborhoods and buildings. There were things that everyone could enjoy. Good food and free activities for the children. Art projects and displays from our City's artists. Not a single problem, year after year. Basketball for teens, skate ramps, (I still shudder when I think about watching the kids going down them on skate boards) Hey, I'm a mother so give me a break. I remember the home grown Confunkshun (sp) walking through the park playing their music up to the stage. Yeah, Vallejo has great people who only wanted to come out and enjoy what made Vallejo great. We are a great town that will survive and continue to be great.
VallejoRob

Davis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

I couldn't get past the first line.

"It was like losing a child."

Really? So losing a child must not be that bad, I guess. That's a relief.
ellieMay

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

VallejoRob wrote:
I couldn't get past the first line.
"It was like losing a child."
Really? So losing a child must not be that bad, I guess. That's a relief.
I agree. It was a stupid metaphore. To compare an absent of an event to losing a child is an over-statement. Most people do not bounce back after the loss of child.
I was there

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2010

If you did not participate or attend, please refrain from making negative comments. It serves no purpose. Thank you.
SpeakEZ

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2010

I was there wrote:
If you did not participate or attend, please refrain from making negative comments. It serves no purpose. Thank you.
Yes, mother.
Irish Mike

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2010

if this includes sam kurshan then i and almost all of vallejo, is against it

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Con Funk Shun Discussions

Search the Con Funk Shun Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hispanic bands signed, entertainment slate secu... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Wanglow 4
Blues Fest announces lineup (May '10) May '10 Dante 3
Con Funk Shun heads up to Cache Creek (Aug '09) Aug '09 yes sir 3
Hampton's big Bay Days blowout (Sep '08) Sep '08 hmmm 1
Bay Days starts, rain or shine (Sep '08) Sep '08 none 4
Hampton's big blowout (Sep '08) Sep '08 POTS 5
Iraq tour ends in $14,000 Internet bill (Jul '08) Jul '08 Moejeau 5
•••
•••