In Legal Documents, Coldplay Says Satriani Song "Lacks Original...

Full story: findingDulcinea

British band Coldplay continues to deny allegations from Joe Satriani that they plagiarized his 2004 instrumental song "If I Could Fly." Coldplay has issued court papers in defense of guitarist Joe Satriani's lawsuit against them, which was filed last December.
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Apr 13, 2009
Babs

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Coldplay would know a thing or two about "lacking originality."
Anna

Forest Hills, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

I hope Coldplay win this case. The way Satriani's has been milking this for all the free publicity he can get is just unnecessary and shows this is more about media attention for him... oh, and the money of course. Sure he wanted to settle out of court -but only for a big lump of cash I bet!

Shame his song sounds EXACTLY like a song by a Brazlian band, which was written before his. Maybe Satriani should have a close look at himself before accusing others of plagiarism...

Coldplay have the money to pay him off but obviously they feel very strongly that they did no wrong. Good luck to them!
Joel Glidden

Portland, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Tom Petty's got the right idea; pop music is a form of art which is almost defined by contrivance. Since the beginning of folk music, rhythms and cadences have stayed quite similar, and many folks songs borrowed the same melody and harmony from other folk songs.

The use of recorded samples in hip hop is only a logical next step in that trend. Maybe Coldplay and Joe Satriani should sue themselves for writing the same song over and over. Maybe someone should sue every musician for using the same 11 notes over and over. What I mean is that it's ridiculous to think you can own notes, or even the order of notes. Music doesn't work the same way as literature.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••