Kylie Minogue collaboration deemed 't...

Kylie Minogue collaboration deemed 'too sexy' for Coldplay album

There are 26 comments on the NME story from Jun 3, 2008, titled Kylie Minogue collaboration deemed 'too sexy' for Coldplay album. In it, NME reports that:

But band will release another LP in 2009 Coldplay have revealed that they recorded a song with Kylie Minogue , but it was deemed "too sexy" to make the cut for their new album, 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NME.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sam

UK

#1 Jun 3, 2008
so there's a time when you not supposed to be sexy????????!!

i can imagine a job interview but really guys!!!!!!!!?

kylie is a sexy lady,,, what did they expect even the track title sexy.

i say they should have put it in,,, there's nothing wrong with a little appeal.
Shaun

Ivanhoe, Australia

#3 Jun 17, 2008
would love to here it.....
jennifer trimtwat

Sheffield, UK

#4 Jun 18, 2008
i have heard it its brilliant. the best thing coldplay have ever done.
Aaron

El Dorado Hills, CA

#6 Jun 20, 2008
If pop was high school, Coldplay are the science geeks and Kylie's the hot cheerleader who walks into their lab -- as they drool and stammer. Kylie hanging with those pencil necks is their ticket out of squaresville and into permanent cool cit-ay!
Question

Espoo, Finland

#7 Jun 24, 2008
pop hi school? pop is trash for brainwashed buyers.
Question

Espoo, Finland

#8 Jun 24, 2008
you can choose your own musics also wirhout plastic ads.
Aaron student of Pop

Davis, CA

#9 Jun 25, 2008
Rock is for deviants who are sullen, have mopey feet... oh yeah, and burn down Norwegian churches. Admit it!

I've heard cats f* with more harmony than rockers!

Long Live Pop!
Aaron student of Pop

Davis, CA

#10 Jun 25, 2008
Question wrote:
you can choose your own musics also wirhout plastic ads.
And I choose Kylie Minogue, the greatest creation in media and plastic image making herstory, beneath which lies a tigress who will cat scratch fever you like a heavy metal album cover. Kylie crane kicks Gene Simmons, turns Axl Rose into a beaten down wimpering feminist, and makes Ozzy sane again! Bow Down to the Queen of Artificial Light and Oh So Very Real Darkness That Will Shake You To The Marrow Of Your Being Making You Embrace Your Captor for The Ultimate in IcyHeat! Bow Down!
You can't deny it
You know you wanna try it
Homeboy throw in the towel
Kylie's secretary is Colin Powell
Question

Espoo, Finland

#11 Jun 25, 2008
Aaron student of Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
And I choose Kylie Minogue, the greatest creation in media and plastic image making herstory.
You can't deny it
I deny that pop is creative music; that's deviant, see your ex-god bratney spares...

Maybe it's mtv choice what you've got to buy, but many others are independent from that propaganda and choose some rebel energetic Rock music or even classic, jazz, something alive.

Uhm, PLASTIC IMAGE, so it seems that some poppers really prefer plastics instead of humans..
Aaron

Davis, CA

#13 Jun 26, 2008
You "deny that pop is creative music" - good for you. Of course, it IS created.

"Maybe it's mtv choice what you've got to buy, but many others are independent from that propaganda"

Good for them, they like music that is not popular and hence not accessible through popular outlets aka "propaganda". Does that mean the music is better? I can't say - it's a matter of opinion. But beware the misanthropes who claim that "the masses" who make music popular have no taste.

"Uhm, PLASTIC IMAGE, so it seems that some poppers really prefer plastics instead of humans.."

Some people like pop music, rather than music pretending to be "rebelious". If pop is plastic image, then "rebel" rock has historically been MORE uniform visually [denim, leather jackets, flannel, the "I don't care (although I really do - shhhh)" look] and stagnant compared to pop as personified by Kylie. All musicians in the public eye to any degree have image (or self-conscious "non-image" image), Kylie is just more eclectic and colorful. "Plastic Image?" I would say ELASTIC/versatile image.
Aaron

Davis, CA

#14 Jun 26, 2008
Is MTV "propaganda"? Or is it perhaps one of the best things of the modern era?

The Late 1960's: Without MTV, US soldiers in Vietnam only see sexy babes when they perform on stage - once! Without MTV, it's obvious the soldiers are starved for entertainment.

19whatevers through 1980: Musical movies. You can see hot babes sing and dance (amidst boring dialogue), but the medium is exclusive and expensive!

1980: The babes are better, and now on video doing aerobics, but the music is not very good! http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Early 1980's: MTV debuts, and Stacey Q wraps up looks, dance and song into one hot mini-package! The music video has gone mass, and the world will never be the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Mid - 1980's: Belinda Carlisle shows there is plenty of room on MTV for hot blondes with pithy pop! http://www.youtube.com/watch...

1988: Kylie perfects the genre! And keeps re-perfecting it! http://www.youtube.com/watch...

2008: Who can imagine a world without hot babes fronting a 3 minute frothy pop song? It's freedom, baby, yeah!
Solidarity

Espoo, Finland

#15 Jun 26, 2008
Aaron wrote:
"Uhm, PLASTIC IMAGE, so it seems that some poppers really prefer plastics instead of humans.."

Some people like pop music, rather than music pretending to be "rebelious". If pop is plastic image, then "rebel" rock has historically been MORE uniform visually [denim, leather jackets, flannel, the "I don't care (although I really do - shhhh)" look] and stagnant compared to pop as personified by Kylie. All musicians in the public eye to any degree have image (or self-conscious "non-image" image), Kylie is just more eclectic and colorful. "Plastic Image?" I would say ELASTIC/versatile image.
I disagree allover. To me pop things pretend to be, but it's just plastic and it's far more uniforming that rebeling rock songs without witch pop would still be at the 1800.

Why to deny that "plastic image"? It fits to some popper (not author not player, but computer corrected voices.)
Aaron

Davis, CA

#16 Jun 26, 2008
Well, we don't agree and could probably go back and forth with examples. I think pop admits to pretending - putting on a show (a vaudeville or cabaret style show is what I like, more than the blues pulled from some inner pain). I don't agree with people who claim that pop is SERIOUS (see some Madonna fans lol), it's a show, sometimes heady or poetic entertainment, but a show/an act and I think most pop stars know that.

Some rebel rock stars claim to NOT be "plastic" or "uniform". I think the pop star who knows it's pop entertainment is more honest - real - than a rebel rocker who thinks he's not pretending. Many punks following The Ramones and Pistols were pretending. Most of grunge following the first wave were pretending. And as rock is 50 years old, it's hard to think of what's rebellious now, as it all seems to get "sucked into the machine" quickly (as opposed to the 70's CBGB groups that had a few years to develop... and they were playing and pretending as much as they were rebellious). I'm biased, as I don't much like guitar heavy rock, and can't stand the style of the "everyman" "earnest" rockers like Dylan or Springsteen... or Green Day.... My personal take is that Eurythmics, Human League and some other new wave groups (my fave genre, weaving visual and audio) were as grounbreaking as rockers. Plastic? Okay, they know they're plastic, but can arguably be more real than the "real."
Solidarity

Espoo, Finland

#17 Jun 26, 2008
Many punks following the Ramones and Pistols, the grunge guys following the first wave or the rock's in the 50s were pretending much less than those established conformist status quo poppers of those years with their third hand cabaret, nothing about theatre, with no scandals, just bore, sleep, money and today they're forgotten.
And today these "plastic images" instead of more real than "real" are more plastic than plastic.
Solidarity

Espoo, Finland

#18 Jun 26, 2008
Aaron wrote:
Is MTV "propaganda"? Or is it perhaps one of the best things of the modern era?
Ok, now I saw that, I think that mtv owns you..
So it's because of the pin-ups then, not really the muzac or what moldy synthetic, ok, understandable, such a muc.. but one moment, those kyly mad-donna and bruttany spares aren't such best beauties at all!?!
Well it's invain.
Aaron

Davis, CA

#19 Jun 27, 2008
Solidarity wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, now I saw that, I think that mtv owns you..
Well it's invain.
MTV doesn't own me, anymore than youtube does. It's a free market of ideas and music, and more people choose pop -- it's popular. The marginal players can claim martyr status... unless they too become popular. And some try pretty hard to be popular. Case in point, the Velvet Underground (widely considered the most groundbreaking band of the modern era, the root of punk) who wrote a pure pop single in an attempt to get airplay off their first album (and later structured and shortened their 4th, LOADED album songs to get FM airplay -- to be popular). It doesn't get more pop than this (and Nico was chosen in large for her visual image)

If Andy Warhol had the technology to do MTV style videos he would have. It started as a refreshing art form. MTV broke new wave and grunge and rap to a big audience. Yes, to some extent video killed the radio star, but I can do without the "real" 70's singer-songwriters who are oh so earnest and devoid of new wave's irony and humor.(For example, Devo was "conformist" and "plastic" to make fun of plastic - irony). The hot babes on MTV are a bonus.
Aaron

Davis, CA

#20 Jun 27, 2008
Solidarity wrote:
Many punks following the Ramones and Pistols, the grunge guys following the first wave or the rock's in the 50s were pretending much less than those established conformist status quo poppers of those years with their third hand cabaret, nothing about theatre, with no scandals, just bore, sleep, money and today they're forgotten.
And today these "plastic images" instead of more real than "real" are more plastic than plastic.
Who wants scandal? I am not a fan of Madonna and her manufactured, premeditated "shock" tactics - they don't shock and their sooo obvious.

The good pop - in particular ironic new wavers - KNOW they're pretending, and are purposefully heightening the artifice. The "rebel rockers" are worse, because they actually think they are authentic. At least the Sex Pistols (I'm a big fan) were in on the joke... except Vicious, who sadly actually took it seriously, and seemed not to distinguish between the stage PERSONA and reality. Grunge? Mostly a bunch of white boys whining... about themselves.(Johnny Rotten/Lydon saw grunge as having no style, no good, no fun... dare I say, grunge was not consciously heightening their pretend, and therefore seemed mawkish and lame).

I'm all for artifice when it's in the open and works. From Kraftwerk to cabaret costuming, it honest in it's "showtime" front: A Play of Artifice, in one of the best songs of the 80's:

More fun than white middle class boys with a guitar, whining.
Solidarity

Espoo, Finland

#21 Jun 28, 2008
Almost curious to hear from the great Johnny Rotten about kyli minivogue: white middle class whining
p
r
e
t
t
y

v
a
c
a
n
t
Solidarity

Espoo, Finland

#22 Jun 28, 2008
I think if he already detested some grunge rock he would spit on almost all that <<evil>> pop music.
Aaron

San Rafael, CA

#23 Jun 28, 2008
Solidarity wrote:
Almost curious to hear from the great Johnny Rotten about kyli minivogue: white middle class whining
p
r
e
t
t
y
v
a
c
a
n
t
There are a couple bumper stickers slogans in there! Lydon has not commented on Kylie as far as I can tell, although if he did negatively he may find more British wrath than when he dissed The Queen. Lydon has recently said, "I haven't written a song for Britney (Spears) yet but I would love to." The producer of NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS went on to produce INXS, whose lead singer found Kylie keen. Nick Cave wrote songs for Kylie before he met her (maybe Lydon should try that with Spears). Kylie, if it needs to be said, is the anti-whiner hence Smiley Kylie and Stoic Kylie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coldplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News One Direction to compete against Zayn Malik at ... (Jan '17) Dec '17 Cyphilis 4
News 12 Most Disappointing Grammy Follow-Ups (Feb '10) Aug '17 Anonymous 3
News VIDEO: Lindsay Lohan breaks silence on her 'lis... (Mar '14) Jul '17 Operator NumberTwo 7
Coldplay Music Thread (Sep '13) Jun '17 Musikologist 9
News Gwyneth Paltrow gushes over Barack Obama: 'You'... (Oct '14) May '17 Bon Jovi 6
Coldplay Top 10 (Feb '16) Oct '16 Musikologist 2
News Obama's 'Amazing Grace' Rendition Sampled On Ne... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Wtcsret 9
More from around the web