Prison calls it food, inmates disagree

Prison calls it food, inmates disagree

There are 134 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 23, 2008, titled Prison calls it food, inmates disagree. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

When shooting suspect Christopher Williams acted up in prison, he was given nutraloaf--a mixture of cubed whole wheat bread, nondairy cheese, raw carrots, spinach, seedless raisins, beans, vegetable oil, tomato ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#1 Mar 23, 2008
Why is this either an issue or a story? If you don't want to eat the crappy food in prison, FOLLOW THE LAW.

Should you find yourself in prison, be grateful they are feeding you at all.

If the prisoners would rather go hungry than eat what is served, so be it.
Barzacus

Bangkok, Thailand

#2 Mar 23, 2008
He is a SUSPECT.

Read the news - America has the largest prison (including jail) in the world.

Chances are good YOU may end up there one day, although I do not wish it to you.

Be humane...
Sarg

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Mar 23, 2008
"Nutraloaf", the blend sounds terrible, I'll bet that it tastes a lot like my aunt Ida's fruitcake.
It sounds like they give it to those unruley prisoners that throw their food and trays at the guards and are under lock-up at meal times.
Anyway, wouldn't most of you agree that the food that is served in our prisons should be kind of cheap and not very delicious, just because of the fact that it is prison, and prison is a punishment.
I can't really judge if it should be ruled as "punishment" unless I taste it....where can I get some?
consistent

Zimmerman, MN

#7 Mar 23, 2008
Jeff T in MPLS wrote:
Why is this either an issue or a story? If you don't want to eat the crappy food in prison, FOLLOW THE LAW.
Should you find yourself in prison, be grateful they are feeding you at all.
If the prisoners would rather go hungry than eat what is served, so be it.
Get a clue fool...you break the law EVERYDAY too if you live in Minneeeeesota. you should be the next suspect!!
angry american

Fort Myers, FL

#8 Mar 23, 2008
their eating better than the people in cuba,and thats to good
michael P

Longview, WA

#9 Mar 23, 2008
This story is from Vermont, I don't think MN has this policy of serving alternate food as "punishment" (I guess the law says that prisoners get "Basic human needs" so, that leaves allot up to discretion of the Warden)

However-using food as punishment certainly sounds “cruel & unusual…”
Penny

Middleton, WI

#10 Mar 23, 2008
The new statistics show 1 in 38 people are either in prison/jail or on parole or probation. You soon may be tasting that good ole prison/jail food. It is cooked by inmates and since the ingredients come marked for correctional consumption you have to wonder what is thrown in.
Most prisoners lose 20 pounds or more during incarceration. And they don't offer Tums to make it any better from what I hear. A good indication is that you don't see the guards or prison adminstration eating the food. That tells you something. Considering the workhouse charges the inmates weekly to sleep there, they must be making money at it or there wouldn't be so many being sent there. Your tax dollars don't support them just those in real lockup and it's big business.
I bet

Brownsville, TX

#11 Mar 23, 2008
I bet they would kill for some Chicos
michael P

Longview, WA

#12 Mar 23, 2008
Penny wrote:
The new statistics show 1 in 38 people are either in prison/jail or on parole or probation. You soon may be tasting that good ole prison/jail food. It is cooked by inmates and since the ingredients come marked for correctional consumption you have to wonder what is thrown in.
Most prisoners lose 20 pounds or more during incarceration. And they don't offer Tums to make it any better from what I hear. A good indication is that you don't see the guards or prison adminstration eating the food. That tells you something. Considering the workhouse charges the inmates weekly to sleep there, they must be making money at it or there wouldn't be so many being sent there. Your tax dollars don't support them just those in real lockup and it's big business.
Cisco Foods has the MN contract (you will also see them delivering food to your local Restaurants… Big business, you sure got that right! good call~
working man

Oakland, CA

#13 Mar 23, 2008
Eat it
Uncle Dave

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 23, 2008
Penny wrote:
Your statements are your opinion and not based in fact. "The new statistics"? What the hell are those? You sound both liberal and alarmist when you say we all may soon be eating jail food while incarcerated. What a ridiculous statement! As far as "most prisoners" losing 20 pounds or more... you obviously haven't actually met people coming out of incarceration. I have met many of them, and by far the vast majority ate very well and had ample opportunity to exercise and work out. Many inmates come out of incarceration in far better phycical condition than they entered.

As far as the staff and administration not eating the same food, you are either mistaken or lying. Actually, they can, and many do, eat the same food. And, by the way, working in the kitchen is one of the jobs most preferred by the inmates, which is by far a better indication of what the food is like than Henny Penny would have us believe. Make no mistake, being incarcerated is not akin to being on a cruise. And believe me, despite Penny's assertion that the big bad government is making money from charging people to sleep at the workhouse, they're really not making that much, if any, money.

It never ceases to amaze me at what a bleeding heart liberal will feel sorry for, or what they will make up or lie about to get some attention. They're all about as useful as an impacted bowel.

Since: Mar 08

El Paso, TX

#18 Mar 23, 2008
They did the crime and are serving the time.......pink flowered garb and bologna, bread and water should be their fate.

The nutra bar sounds better than the beans and rice I see some hard working co-workers packing from home.

Joe Arpaio has it right and if more folks demanded like treatment for prisoners the jails would empty quick.
Mad Jack

Waconia, MN

#20 Mar 23, 2008
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
We can only hope that people who make statements like this find themselves in similar circumstances. Then we can all enjoy a little laugh at your expense.
There seems to be a misconception that one finds ones self in prison by chance (Barzacus, Rob), no different from being on the 35W bridge when it collaped. I suppose Barzacus might not understand our legal system but Rob has no excuse. To be sentenced to a prison term in this country you have to commit multiple crimes, and serious ones at that. There is no one there who truly doesn't deserve it.
Mad Jack

Waconia, MN

#21 Mar 23, 2008
Penny wrote:
What are "new statistics"? A new term for lies?
girlygirl

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Mar 23, 2008
If they are going to throw their food, use their eating utensils to throw feces, then yes, remove what they were eating and provide nutraloaf. As long as they aren't getting sick from it, resulting in needing my taxpayer dollars to heal them, then it's fine with me, on a temporary basis. Again, basic deterrent. If it's an ongoing issue (and it sounds like a couple of loafs of nutra is enough to shape 'em up), then something else to do about it. And I love those "how would you feel if you had to eat it" comments. Well, if I were dumb enough to commit a crime and go to prison, you can bet I'd toe the line so I didn't have to!
Kacy

Minneapolis, MN

#24 Mar 23, 2008
Nurtiloaf sounds awesome to me. Where do I find the recipe? I'd way rather eat that than some disgusting processed E Coli beef from a downed cow.
Cybear

Hugo, MN

#27 Mar 23, 2008
Barzacus wrote:
Read the news - America has the largest prison (including jail) in the world.
America also has one of the lowest crime rates. Clearly, our correctional policies work.
Cybear

Hugo, MN

#28 Mar 23, 2008
Why is Williams 'an inmate' in 'prison' when he is only a 'shooting suspect'? Methinks the writer of this article doesn't have the facts straight.
michael P

Longview, WA

#29 Mar 23, 2008
Craig - Mpls wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it does Michael P - Those poor inmates, some who have killed, maimed, raped, stole and molested shouldn't have to endure unsavory food - how cruel and unusual. How rude of the prisons - I mean, come on - guards and prison employees should expect to have crap and urine thrown at them.
More of your criminal logic - take it some place else! We're sick of it!
#1- I won't go away!#2- the "Cruel & Unusual" standard comes from our country's morals in the supreme law of the land...

don't go off on me for commenting on this one! I admit that "basic human need" doesn't mean a savory meal for prison inmates....

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#30 Mar 23, 2008
michael P wrote:
This story is from Vermont, I don't think MN has this policy of serving alternate food as "punishment" (I guess the law says that prisoners get "Basic human needs" so, that leaves allot up to discretion of the Warden)
However-using food as punishment certainly sounds “cruel & unusual…”
Again, Michael P, your love and adoration of those that break the law amazes me.

Was your father a felon? Maybe your mother? Your obsession with "suspect" and prisoner rights combined with your disdain and distrust of police makes you, well, suspect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 arrested for robbery of convenience store (Jul '14) Jul '14 Truth 1
News Should Christopher Williams Join the Cast of Re... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Peace 1
News Three indicted in connection with fatal stabbin... (Oct '13) Oct '13 City Livin 2
News Christopher Williams, a'ngela Winbush, and KeKe... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Russ 1
News Compared to 1990s, only a fraction of Lenoir Co... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Big Boy 1
News Cops: 2 more drunken drivers speed on LI (Dec '10) Dec '10 Lmao 1
News Huntington bans smoking on hospital grounds (Oct '10) Nov '10 just candid 15
More from around the web