Obama embraces incremental response to gay issues - AP

There are 7 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Obama embraces incremental response to gay issues - AP. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

The Obama White House has accomplished more than any other on gay rights, yet has drawn sharp criticism from some of those who stand to benefit from the president's efforts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

“IMHO....”

Since: Jan 08

Here and there

#1 Jun 24, 2010
The criticisms are not because of the gains that have been made. That's a shallow assessment at best. Rather, these appropriate criticisms are likely to continue because of the much greater promises made as well as the greater expectations of someone who continues to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Such expectations are appropriate to have of someone who many of us thought should have a better understanding of discrimination.

In an odd way, Fred Phelps is more honest. He hates me, and he would never dream of telling me anything different just to court my favor. And I would never turn my back on him. Much safer, really.

As a former constitutional law professor, I also find it embarrassing that Obama still doesn't understand at least a few basic concepts such as separate is not equal and that church and state should be separate.

So pardon me if I'm not falling over myself to kiss the feet of the Oppressor In Chief for the crumbs he tosses down from the old white hetero wealthy male table. There's still a chance we may not all succumb to this Stockholm syndrome, but I fully expect those who do will gladly become his tools.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 24, 2010
Like all mad and starving dogs we in the LGTB community want the whole animal and refuse to share with others.

With each bite of the beast our hunger grows it is not sated because it was quality meat and not leftovers. I want it now, all of it. I do not want To wait, I don't care that you have doubled or tripled my rights to equal treatment, I want it all, and I even will hate you for getting it for me., after all it should have been done years ago and you are to blame.

President Obama We hold you guilty for all the anti gay things we have suffered since Christ came.

You appointed a Transgender person to an office, you have not asked if a personw as gay to have a job in your administration, you have seen that GLBT have medical care and equal opertunities.

We have already forgotten the help you have been, we want it all N we want it NOW.
The Gryphon

San Diego, CA

#3 Jun 24, 2010
I just want him to pass same sex immigration. That's pretty much all I care about. That way we can decide where to live based rather than being forced to leave the country.

Since: May 09

United States

#4 Jun 24, 2010
At this point, I am willing to give the president the benefit of the doubt. I was one of those who expected him to jump on our issues with both feet and was disappointed when he did not. In retrospect, I think we expected too much from him and during the campaign he expected too much from himself. Once he took the oath of office I believe he was given a rude awakening about the reality of the politics involved. In a democracy, there are always powers at work stronger than government, it used to be the people. At this point, in our nation, it is a combination of the military industrial complex supported by the right wing Christians. In recent weeks, I have seen a change in the president. He is less likely to pander to the Republicans, and becoming more forceful in speaking out on our issues, and on others as well. Look at how he handled General Chrystal as an example of a stronger, more determined man at work.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#5 Jun 24, 2010
After many years of fighting in the trenchs for GLBT equality, I am simply astounded by the response of the community to Obama's advances. I am just as aware as everyone else that we do not have all that we want and deserve insofar as equality is concerned. Actually, I expected much less to be accomplished in the short time he has been in office. I did not fully expect much until his second term. I am not going to stand there and stamp my feet shouting, "I want it all and I want it now". I am going to, in essence, say, "Thaks, Mr. President, but what have you done lately?" In other words, appreciate the steps he has taken, and then press for more. Personally, if I had done what he has, and gotten no appreciation, as is demonstrated here, I would just figure the heck with it, and use my time to give more work on the economy, the Gulf, jobs, and the rest. If we don't appreciate what he does, why should he do it?

Since: May 09

United States

#6 Jun 24, 2010
The Gryphon wrote:
I just want him to pass same sex immigration. That's pretty much all I care about. That way we can decide where to live based rather than being forced to leave the country.
And that, my dear friend, is our problem. For the most part, we are all interested in our own separate issues and fail to see that we, as a minority within a minority, can only win if we are willing to weave our specific issues into the bigger picture of the total gay community. Homosexual men cannot win alone, we need the lesbians at our side. Gay people cannot win alone we need the bisexuals and the transgendered at our side. We need not under stand their issues fully, but we need to accept, they are part of the struggle for full civil rights for all Americans. Our symbol is the rainbow flag, separate colors joined as one flag. Symbolizing separate issues joined in one struggle.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#7 Jun 24, 2010
Rev Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
And that, my dear friend, is our problem. For the most part, we are all interested in our own separate issues and fail to see that we, as a minority within a minority, can only win if we are willing to weave our specific issues into the bigger picture of the total gay community. Homosexual men cannot win alone, we need the lesbians at our side. Gay people cannot win alone we need the bisexuals and the transgendered at our side. We need not under stand their issues fully, but we need to accept, they are part of the struggle for full civil rights for all Americans. Our symbol is the rainbow flag, separate colors joined as one flag. Symbolizing separate issues joined in one struggle.
Amen, brother. I am fixated on Marriage Equality, but I appreciate all the other things Mr. Obama has acheived, even if I do not benefit. ALL of us is the meaningful phrase, not I, I, I.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Dodd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Head of movie association predicts record year ... Apr 21 short 1
News Schumer-Pelosi: A Partnership Three Decades in ... Apr '15 Memo From Turner 7
News Positions count, but style wins (Jan '08) May '14 Top Of Mom 2
News Hotelier Chatwal Pleads Guilty to Campaign Fraud (Apr '14) Apr '14 see the light 1
News Democrats want pay limits, loan aid in bailout (Sep '08) Mar '14 Lief CHIEF 73
News Democrats want pay limits, loan aid in bailout (Sep '08) Mar '14 Lilla 8
News Dodd proposes credit card industry reforms (May '08) Mar '14 Diannne 2
More from around the web