City's bond ratings improving

City's bond ratings improving

There are 2 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 8, 2010, titled City's bond ratings improving. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Despite continued state aid cuts and a bleak financial forecast for the commonwealth in coming fiscal years, the city's financial health is improving.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

North Andover, MA

#1 Jul 8, 2010
It's great to have a little improvement in our bond rating but it really doesn't change anything for Lowell taxpayers. All the rating agency is saying is that Lowell as a taxing authority is effectively putting the cost of government back on its taxpayers. I guess that's a good thing if you're a bondholder of City of Lowell paper but as a taxpayer, I'd be a lot more grateful if Moses and Lynch could reduce the cost of government rather than raising our taxes to pay for it. They both know this of course but I suspect there will be a fool or two on the CC who will trumpet this as some kind of accomplishment by the City.
All it means is that the City knows how to send its bills out in the mail. I suppose we can contrast that with Lawrence though. Lawrence doesn't seem to even be able to bill and collect taxes.
outside observer

Haverhill, MA

#2 Jul 8, 2010
Lowell's improving bond ratings will save the city millions in completely unnecessary interest payments in the future.

Maintaining this rating allows the city to make critical investments in our infrastructure, while saving taxpayers money.

This rating also demonstrates that the Lynch administration has been good fiscal stewards of the taxpayers’money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Dodd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Head of movie association predicts record year ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 short 1
News Schumer-Pelosi: A Partnership Three Decades in ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Memo From Turner 7
News Positions count, but style wins (Jan '08) May '14 Top Of Mom 2
News Hotelier Chatwal Pleads Guilty to Campaign Fraud (Apr '14) Apr '14 see the light 1
News Democrats want pay limits, loan aid in bailout (Sep '08) Mar '14 Lief CHIEF 73
News Democrats want pay limits, loan aid in bailout (Sep '08) Mar '14 Lilla 8
News Dodd proposes credit card industry reforms (May '08) Mar '14 Diannne 2
More from around the web