City's bond ratings improving

Full story: Lowell Sun

Despite continued state aid cuts and a bleak financial forecast for the commonwealth in coming fiscal years, the city's financial health is improving.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Jul 8, 2010
Mayflower

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

It's great to have a little improvement in our bond rating but it really doesn't change anything for Lowell taxpayers. All the rating agency is saying is that Lowell as a taxing authority is effectively putting the cost of government back on its taxpayers. I guess that's a good thing if you're a bondholder of City of Lowell paper but as a taxpayer, I'd be a lot more grateful if Moses and Lynch could reduce the cost of government rather than raising our taxes to pay for it. They both know this of course but I suspect there will be a fool or two on the CC who will trumpet this as some kind of accomplishment by the City.
All it means is that the City knows how to send its bills out in the mail. I suppose we can contrast that with Lawrence though. Lawrence doesn't seem to even be able to bill and collect taxes.
outside observer

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Lowell's improving bond ratings will save the city millions in completely unnecessary interest payments in the future.

Maintaining this rating allows the city to make critical investments in our infrastructure, while saving taxpayers money.

This rating also demonstrates that the Lynch administration has been good fiscal stewards of the taxpayers’money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Christopher Dodd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Positions count, but style wins (Jan '08) May '14 Top Of Mom 2
Hotelier Chatwal Pleads Guilty to Campaign Fraud Apr '14 see the light 1
Democrats want pay limits, loan aid in bailout (Sep '08) Mar '14 Lief CHIEF 73
Democrats want pay limits, loan aid in bailout (Sep '08) Mar '14 Lilla 8
Dodd proposes credit card industry reforms (May '08) Mar '14 Diannne 2
Fed, central banks, bonuses, cram-down, executi... (Sep '08) Mar '14 Pippy 8
Dodd sees hope for credit card legislation (Feb '09) Mar '14 Rafaelita 6

Search the Christopher Dodd Forum:
•••
•••