Is Alexa Ray Joel's "homeopathic overdose" possible? [Terra Sigillata]

Dec 7, 2009 Full story: ScienceBlogs 14

Abel Pharmboy is the nom de plume of an academic researcher and educator who took his PhD in Pharmacology and Therapeutics and BS in Toxicology.

Full Story
Alex B

Woking, UK

#1 Dec 8, 2009
With the remedies above the 12c range where there is no physical substance left and you are dealing with pure energy no I don't think there can be any over dose. The body takes what energy it needs. The bodies which take the energy of homoeopathy don not operate like the physical body do.

However if you took huge amounts of the a low dose, i.e. a mother tincture and swallowed it - which would be pretty stupid - it is possible, yet that's just not sensible.
Alex B

Woking, UK

#2 Dec 8, 2009
With a trained homeopathy they will always employ the principal of minimum dose which means to be treated homeopathically the smallest quantity or medicine will be given, so a few drops of mother tincture.
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

#3 Dec 11, 2009
Alex B wrote:
With the remedies above the 12c range where there is no physical substance left and you are dealing with pure energy no I don't think there can be any over dose. The body takes what energy it needs. The bodies which take the energy of homoeopathy don not operate like the physical body do.
However if you took huge amounts of the a low dose, i.e. a mother tincture and swallowed it - which would be pretty stupid - it is possible, yet that's just not sensible.
Since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, and must be measurable, perhaps you could go into more detail about exactly which kind of energy you are claiming exists in this water, how much of it is present and what sort of detection methods can be used to determine if a given vial has more or less "energy" than any other given vial.

Unless of course you mean "magic" energy.

Is that what you mean?

You take pure water. You dip something in it. You dilute it until you have pure water, but now it's "MAGIC!" and it can cure anything.

LOL

“Creating a Wave of Awareness ”

Since: Mar 09

NY

#4 Dec 12, 2009
Here is my response to the article. No overdose is possible. Homeopathy is completely safe. The remedies work on the basis of resonance and response only to a matching pattern. They stimulate the body to heal through this vibration. If there is no matching energy pattern there is no effect. Like when you pluck a string on a violin, the same string will vibrate on another violin in the room. Alexa Ray Joel & #Homeopathy http://j.mp/6Y70xZ
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

#5 Dec 12, 2009
Debby Bruck wrote:
Here is my response to the article. No overdose is possible. Homeopathy is completely safe. The remedies work on the basis of resonance and response only to a matching pattern. They stimulate the body to heal through this vibration.
Oh, so now it's not "energy", it's "vibration".

Can this "vibration" be measured in ANY WAY? Can you label an unlabeled homeopathic medicine? If you take a bottle of medicine in a car, won't the "vibrations" from the car change the "vibrations" of the water? Or do these magic vibration not exist in the physical realm?
bbb

Eden, NC

#7 Dec 12, 2009
Homeopathic "medicine" is water. Overdosing on water is called drowning.
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

#8 Dec 12, 2009
bbb wrote:
Homeopathic "medicine" is water. Overdosing on water is called drowning.
no no, bbb, don't you see. The "medicine" has "energy" and "vibrations" in it that makes it act differently than water. It's just that it's impossible to detect the "energy" or "vibrations".

Which leads me to my next question:

If you can't detect the "energy" or "vibrations", and that "energy" or "vibration" can't be lost due to say heat or physic vibration, then how EXACTLY do you start off with -clean- water to impart the "energy" or "vibration" into?

Surely any water a homeopath obtains has been exposed to AT LEAST ONE source of "energy" or "vibration" as SOME POINT in the past, most likely a near infinite amount of contamination has occurred.

How can a homeopath overcome the billions of times higher "energy"/"vibra tion" exposure in the water he's using in order to impart the new "energy"/"vibra tion" in order to make it from ordinary water into "magic water"?

NY

#9 Dec 19, 2009
It's like talking to a wall. Everything bounces back at you. Just think, when a person is so closed they have no doors open to change, then are stuck in one place and can't get out.

Perhaps a little 'vibration' will shake things loose and enable some movement to become FREE! Yippee! Into a new place with a new view of the universe.

Blessings for all. Happy Days.
Simon

London, UK

#10 Dec 19, 2009
You see the thing is Debby, unless a homeopath can explain what sort of energy they are talking about and how they can measure it, or explain exactly what it is that is vibrating and resonating, then all you have is words. Made up words. With no bearing on reality.

How would you convince someone that these energies and vibrations were real and not just figments of a homeopathic mind?
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

#11 Dec 19, 2009
Debby Bruck wrote:
It's like talking to a wall. Everything bounces back at you. Just think, when a person is so closed they have no doors open to change, then are stuck in one place and can't get out.
Perhaps a little 'vibration' will shake things loose and enable some movement to become FREE! Yippee! Into a new place with a new view of the universe.
Blessings for all. Happy Days.
Debby, are you open to my unsupported and undefined "energy rocks"? They will cure your (whatever you want). They work of me imparting my Xarivov energy rays into the stone.

This obviously takes a great deal of effort on my part. So, I charge $1,000 per stone.

However, since owning this stone will literally keep you alive forever AND will cause you to win the lottery, that price is extremely low.

Since you have "open doors" to new ideas, when can I expect my check?

Or, do you want some proof first? Maybe an definition of these rays? Maybe an explanation as to HOW this could work?

NY

#12 Dec 23, 2009
We do not need to convince anyone my dears. Those who have experienced Homeopathy Work for them know without a doubt it works. As for those who have not tried homeopathy by visiting a professional homeopath will not have an inkling of experience.

There is no point in discussing these things with those who are set against it from the start. They can use whatever they want and find their own solutions to their problems. Besides, if someone needs a measurement then review the multitude of scientific evidence that has been presented in the journals.

Each of us has our own unique path in this journey called life.
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

#13 Dec 23, 2009
Debby Bruck wrote:
We do not need to convince anyone my dears. Those who have experienced Homeopathy Work for them know without a doubt it works. As for those who have not tried homeopathy by visiting a professional homeopath will not have an inkling of experience.
There is no point in discussing these things with those who are set against it from the start. They can use whatever they want and find their own solutions to their problems. Besides, if someone needs a measurement then review the multitude of scientific evidence that has been presented in the journals.
Each of us has our own unique path in this journey called life.
Nice dodge.

"It works, trust me!" is EXACTLY what snake oil salesmen say.

It's really a simple question. You are claiming that this modality works, you should be able to explain how.

Let me ask you this:

Do you believe in atoms and molecules? Yes or no?
If yes, do you recognize that you can't cut a molecule in half?

Both are EXTREMELY simple questions. Surely you can answer them.

Since: Dec 09

Eden, NC

#14 Dec 23, 2009
"Besides, if someone needs a measurement then review the multitude of scientific evidence that has been presented in the journals."

The journal evidence shows homeopathy to work at the same level of a placebo.

Of all the strange alt-med ideas that exist, homeopathy has to be among the dumbest. Neither of the two main tenets makes an ounce of sense.
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

#15 Dec 24, 2009
Sadly Mage, most of these people have NO IDEA what homeopathy is. Even if they did know, they wouldn't be able to understand the math involved in a 30c solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christie Brinkley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christie not innocent (Aug '06) Feb '14 Jessica James 69
Christie Brinkley divorce trial set to begin (Jul '08) Feb '14 TERRY M 76
Peter Cook: I regret cheating on Christie Brinkley (Jul '08) Dec '13 Pipi Mendola 66
Christie Brinkley sells Hamptons pad for $10M (Oct '13) Oct '13 NYC 1
Christie Brinkley nude (Sep '12) Sep '12 Abel 1
Christie Brinkley nude ! (Jun '12) Jun '12 Adria 1
Brinkley Christie nude ! (Jun '12) Jun '12 Michel 1
More from around the web