Carlin's legacy of laughter, commentary

Carlin's legacy of laughter, commentary

There are 24 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 24, 2008, titled Carlin's legacy of laughter, commentary. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

He was cool. He was smart. He was dirty. And he was relentlessly funny. Speaking of dead people - the very words the man used in a recent routine on death - George Carlin died Sunday in California.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
newville

Belleville, PA

#1 Jun 24, 2008
my simpathy for the family he will be missed as one of the funniest commidians of all time he was up there with milltan beryl and red skelliton we all know about all the profanity but that was george and his type of humor i wish that morre people would stand up for what they believed in george knew what people wanted0'm vey soryn for he fam9ly god blessw u allwaysrr
Ray Gonzalez

Albany, NY

#2 Jun 24, 2008
What can we all say....
A big loss in the in standup comedy..
Brian Layman

Canton, OH

#3 Jun 24, 2008
Your article is very thorough. Yet, surprisingly, you left out the 7+ years George did the Thomas and Friends show about that lovable train Thomas the Engine. It would have made a good counter point in the story you told. And even so while George was a comedic inspiration to many adults, he was the beloved voice that generations spent time with on a daily basis. My young nephew still watches two Thomas episodes each night. I'd wager far more young people were exposed to George than adults. And few people ever knew...
Kerim Incedayi

Istanbul, Turkey

#4 Jun 24, 2008
We miss you Carlin! He was the greatest!
jules

New Orleans, LA

#5 Jun 24, 2008
Here's to George! For all of the fun and laughter! We will miss George! He is truely spoken and heard!
Alan

Colquitt, GA

#6 Jun 24, 2008
Time to get some rest.You were and until further notice you are the best.
ann

Rosedale, MD

#7 Jun 24, 2008
Brian Layman wrote:
Your article is very thorough. Yet, surprisingly, you left out the 7+ years George did the Thomas and Friends show about that lovable train Thomas the Engine. It would have made a good counter point in the story you told. And even so while George was a comedic inspiration to many adults, he was the beloved voice that generations spent time with on a daily basis. My young nephew still watches two Thomas episodes each night. I'd wager far more young people were exposed to George than adults. And few people ever knew...
Glad to see this post. Yes, it is curious that the many articles written since Carlin's death make no mention of his stint on "Shining Time Station", a show featuring Thomas the Tank Engine. George was the tiny station master along with DiDi Conn. Actually, we had watched the show for some time before I realized who played the part. Wonder is there was some type of disagreement or legal issues - just curious.
Tyler

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 24, 2008
I think he's down there right now, smiling up at us. :-)
TD69PC

Exton, PA

#9 Jun 24, 2008
I can't imagine a world without him. He was the one comedian I was willing to pay to see, and it looks like I missed out. George Carlin may have since passed, but for me at least, his comedy never will. Brilliant!
Ryan

Verona, NJ

#10 Jun 24, 2008
Well the Old Funk finally died. We will all miss you gorgey boy.
Kate

Canada

#11 Jun 24, 2008
Howard Stern "paid tribute to Carlin during his Monday show"? If you consider Howard and his useless producer smugly commenting that they wouldn't allow Carlin to come on as a guest, then playing a voicemail that George left where he wondered if doing Don Imus' show was the reason for keeping him off the Stern show a "tribute", well, I guess he did.
Shame on Stern and his idiotic staff.
bil

Canberra, Australia

#12 Jun 24, 2008
Great guy. He will be missed.

I'm sure he wouldn't want mourners though. A celebration of his life sounds fitting.
Michael Malone

Perth, Australia

#13 Jun 24, 2008
Sad news indeed. I hope that funny man found peace wherever he is. Great humour.
ann

Rosedale, MD

#14 Jun 24, 2008
Stern's an idiot. Carlin's humor was fueled by his intelligence and observations. Stern has neither.

“Orioles, Colts, Bullets ”

Since: Apr 08

Brewster, NY

#15 Jun 24, 2008
George Carlin was one of the great social critics of both the 20th and the 21st centuries. Karl Marx told the workers that "you have nothing to lose but your chains." Essentially, George Carlin said the same thing, except he was much more blunt, to the point, and made us laugh at ourselves for what we allow ourselves to put up with.
Matt

Lima, OH

#16 Jun 24, 2008
Damn, this sucks. I wish I had gone to see him when he came to my town in May. Carlin will always be remembered. He is imortal in some way.
navywife

Overland Park, KS

#18 Jun 24, 2008
Carlin had a wonderful grasp of the English language and just how crazy it is. I loved his routine on the words that were spelled the same but were said differently. Can't think of a time I didn't laugh while watching his performances. He'll be missed.
Rocky Fordian

Calhan, CO

#19 Jun 24, 2008
The article is kind, fair and impartial.
Rocky Fordian

Calhan, CO

#20 Jun 24, 2008
I thought your article was kind, thoughtful and generous.
Mike

Baltimore, MD

#21 Jun 24, 2008
Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

--George Carlin

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chris Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Chris Rock's Oscars 2016 Monologue Should ... (Feb '16) Mar '16 So_What 3
News Nothing happens in 'Think' (Mar '07) Jan '16 Hant 14
News Fuck the Patriarchy, Give to Feministing (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 2
News Isaiah Washington Baffles CNN Viewers in Bizarr... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Maggie Gallaghers... 2
News How do you joke about the Sony hacking? A littl... (Dec '14) Dec '14 uss 2
News Chris Rock Calls Out Hollywood For Racism: It's... (Dec '14) Dec '14 unfazed 3
Chris Rock nude (Sep '12) Dec '14 Chris NoTalent 2
More from around the web