Longest-running country store in U.S....

Longest-running country store in U.S. may close

There are 10 comments on the The Enquirer story from Nov 5, 2010, titled Longest-running country store in U.S. may close. In it, The Enquirer reports that:

GRAVEL SWITCH, Ky. - Backed up to a knob and leaning precariously to the right, Penn's Store offers a view of soybean fields and a meandering stream.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Enquirer.

Since: Apr 10

Canton, OH

#1 Nov 6, 2010
The old country stores bring back fond memories of times past. One of my fondest memories was the old store at Park, KY owned and operated by "Windy" Nunn. As I recall, "Windy" was the father of 3 boys and 1 girl. Their names were Leroy, Carl, Governor Louie and Virginia. At last visit, the old store (vacant) and the Nunn's house (across the road) are still there.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 6, 2010
If only a fraction of the Topix members would donate just $1 this small part of history of not only this area but the United States in general, could easily refurbish this "Country Store".

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#3 Feb 1, 2011
why is it closing for???
david

United States

#4 Feb 1, 2011
If alan ellis would fully open the penn hole to the public, like it use to be on friday, saturday, and sunday.....charge a $1 a head, or 5 a car load......FORKLAND in general would be booming, not just the oldest store east of the mississippi........

Location hidden

#5 Feb 2, 2011
But why is it closing?? lol
imo

Richmond, KY

#6 Feb 2, 2011
L-WORD wrote:
But why is it closing?? lol
flooded last year. ruined everything in it. no money to repair.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 2, 2011
OMG that totally sucks!! I was born and raised in Gravelswitch and i can remember my dad taking me there when Mr Pen was running it many many years ago. Im in my 30's now. I really hate to hear that they should take up a donation and repair it.
imo

Richmond, KY

#8 Feb 2, 2011
yeah, it is sad. i'm older but i remember taking my kids to play in penn hole when they were kids. don't know if the store will be saved.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 2, 2011
I sure hope so :( thats just sad

Since: Apr 10

Canton, OH

#10 Feb 8, 2011
Does anyone remember the old country store at Pine Knob, KY?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chet Atkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ben Folds May Be Forced to Sell RCA Studio A, P... (Jun '14) Jul '14 Zebo 3
Neck & Neck Guitar Pickers (Oct '08) Mar '14 Bargain basement boy 8
News We visit the historic Nashville studio that hos... (Sep '13) Oct '13 taylor swift 7
Eli Malach from Israel dedicates a new version ... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Yona Roy 1
News Don't Blink - Kenny Chesney (Jul '08) May '11 Mary 44
News Steve Wariner on 'A Prairie Home Companion' Nov... (Nov '09) Nov '09 dolly 1
Nice Chet book (Aug '09) Aug '09 bowman 1
More from around the web