NC fleet's gas use examined

NC fleet's gas use examined

There are 6 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 25, 2009, titled NC fleet's gas use examined. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jordan Schrader * [email protected] * published April 26, 2009 12:15 am RALEIGH A plan for weaning state government off gas-guzzling vehicles has resurfaced in the General Assembly, where it could avoid some of the opposition that helped scuttle it last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

fairviewredneck

Hickory, NC

#1 Apr 26, 2009
The state, county and city employees should all be driving fuel efficiant vehicles. I do! They should all have to car pool whenever possible too.
huh

Charlotte, NC

#2 Apr 26, 2009
They also need to pull back all SUVs that aren't for official use. There are a few DHHS agencies that have them to be used for certain conditions but are used for staff to drive around in. I'll also bet that in a small fleet of 5 cars and 5 SUVs the SUVs will always hit their mileage. They do where I work at, people line up to drive them.
turner brown

Raleigh, NC

#3 Apr 26, 2009
What about NC Motorfleet policy requiring a minimum of 1050 miles a month or the agency the vehicle is assigned to is penalized and some folks are driving around wasting gas just to meet the minimum mileage and managers and supervisors going crazy because some folks are not getting their miles. Looks to me like it would be saving money the less miles you drove.
huh

Charlotte, NC

#4 Apr 26, 2009
turner brown wrote:
What about NC Motorfleet policy requiring a minimum of 1050 miles a month or the agency the vehicle is assigned to is penalized and some folks are driving around wasting gas just to meet the minimum mileage and managers and supervisors going crazy because some folks are not getting their miles. Looks to me like it would be saving money the less miles you drove.
That is the policy. For some agencies - I know of one here in WNC - after they hit 1050 miles on each vehicle they'll let staff drive their own cars so they can be reimbursed the .505/mile rate.

There is a base fee for a vehicle based on the model. The fee is paid monthly, if you hit or exceed your miles everything is ok. If you don't hit your miles then you risk losing the vehicle. If you're paying x dollars for a vehicle based on set miles and you don't hit those miles it ups the actual cost.

At this time they're watching vehicles closely to see who isn't getting miles in. If they are short over a few months there is a very strong change that the vehicle will be pulled back to Raleigh.

The state needs to force carpooling. I know of plenty of people who won't drive a state car as they don't get paid for driving one. For some it's additional income...drive a few hundred miles and make 50 cents or so per mile.

Lots of abuse.
Manager

Charlotte, NC

#5 Apr 26, 2009
huh wrote:
They also need to pull back all SUVs that aren't for official use. There are a few DHHS agencies that have them to be used for certain conditions but are used for staff to drive around in. I'll also bet that in a small fleet of 5 cars and 5 SUVs the SUVs will always hit their mileage. They do where I work at, people line up to drive them.
I have always questioned why so many state and gov't employees (cops especially) were allowed to drive the police cruisers home. I think they should have to park them at work when off duty and pay for their own gas and vehicles to and from work like all the rest of us.
huh

Charlotte, NC

#6 Apr 27, 2009
Manager wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always questioned why so many state and gov't employees (cops especially) were allowed to drive the police cruisers home. I think they should have to park them at work when off duty and pay for their own gas and vehicles to and from work like all the rest of us.
For some, like me, home is my base as I do not have an assigned office. I drive to sites but if I have to go to someplace local I take my own vehicle. They take care of maintenance although I'll put my own gas in it depending on where I'm at. I also do wash/etc it as needed. I drive roughly 2k/mo, them giving me a car that "costs" 2xx/mo is better than paying me the .505/mile.

I do wish they'd drop the rate down to .25/mile, that would save a lot of money.

What most places will do is compare the individual car logs against the state car logs and can deny payment if a state car is available. In some cases you cannot get paid if you don't attempt to take a state car.

Still, there is lots of abuse with this. I know of someone who was driving between 2 places several times/wk just to bring mail back and forth...and was making a bundle off of that. Eventually it ended, her excuse was that she was told to do it since she couldn't get a raise. Nice try.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Companies reconsidering North Carolina over LGB... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Imprtnrd 134
News McCrory signs bill to undo Charlotte's non-disc... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Yakitori 8
News Offensive Union County creek name refuses to fa... (May '13) Aug '13 Eldorado Jones 20
News Violence In Uptown Charlotte Raises Security Qu... (Jun '11) May '12 Jason 4
News The people spoke (May '11) May '11 woodtick57 24
News High levels of carbon dioxide threaten oyster s... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jay 7
News Services could change your life (May '08) May '08 Jimmy Lee 2
More from around the web