Students praying around school flagpoles today

Sep 26, 2007 Read more: WZZM Grand Rapids 31
Mark Hall of the Christian band Casting Crowns says students who set their alarms early to pray around their school flagpoles this morning are changing the world for the better. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joel

Wyoming, MI

#1 Sep 26, 2007
Thats awsome.

Since: Sep 07

United States

#2 Sep 26, 2007
It sure is!
Joel

Wyoming, MI

#3 Sep 28, 2007
dragon_fly121 aka steve wrote:
It sure is!
ITS UNFORTUNATE ALL THE COMMENTS ARE ON THE DIRTY LAUNDRY.
newanarchy

Arlington, TX

#5 Oct 1, 2007
Kick them all out of school, their nonsense is not needed where there id actual learning to be done.
alesha

Wayland, MI

#6 Oct 4, 2007
newanarchy wrote:
Kick them all out of school, their nonsense is not needed where there id actual learning to be done.
umm no. Your wrong to even say that.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#8 Oct 4, 2007
newanarchy wrote:
Kick them all out of school, their nonsense is not needed where there id actual learning to be done.
Why? Just because you don't like it? Did you forget there is something called 'freedom OF religion'? It's not freedom from religion. If it's done in a christian school (like we did when I was in school) then you have no say. The christian schools aren't supported by your tax dollars. They are support by the parents of the students who PAY for them to go there.

And if it's at a public school, BEFORE or AFTER school hours, what's the difference? It's not interfering with 'learning' if it's not taking up class time.

AND, it's not a MANDATORY event. It's a VOLUNTEER event. No one is forcing these kids to stand around the flagpole and pray. Even when I was in school, at a Christian, not public school, it was a volunteer event for us too.

Maybe you need to realize the world doesn't revolve around your likes and dislikes.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#9 Oct 4, 2007
Oh, and I forgot to add in something else. It's NOT a school sponsored event, so the whole 'separation of church and state' does not apply.

The kids aren't being forced into this, they are CHOOSING to do this.
Heidi

West Bloomfield, MI

#10 Oct 4, 2007
I can't believe what newanarchy said. I honestly had no idea, now I do. I think it is a good thing. For one they said it happens b4 school so therefore it's keeping them off the streets a little longer and they are doing something great with their time. What next are you gonna say that they shouldn't take a lunch because it's a whole half hour away from learning. Get real. Let God be with all of you including newanarchy.
Joel

United States

#11 Oct 4, 2007
newanarchy wrote:
Kick them all out of school, their nonsense is not needed where there id actual learning to be done.
They got up extra early and did it before school.
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

#12 Oct 4, 2007
Heidi wrote:
I can't believe what newanarchy said. I honestly had no idea, now I do. I think it is a good thing. For one they said it happens b4 school so therefore it's keeping them off the streets a little longer and they are doing something great with their time. What next are you gonna say that they shouldn't take a lunch because it's a whole half hour away from learning. Get real. Let God be with all of you including newanarchy.
Don't need your fairy tale beliefs with me, keep them too yourself.
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

#13 Oct 4, 2007
neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Just because you don't like it? Did you forget there is something called 'freedom OF religion'? It's not freedom from religion. If it's done in a christian school (like we did when I was in school) then you have no say. The christian schools aren't supported by your tax dollars. They are support by the parents of the students who PAY for them to go there.
And if it's at a public school, BEFORE or AFTER school hours, what's the difference? It's not interfering with 'learning' if it's not taking up class time.
AND, it's not a MANDATORY event. It's a VOLUNTEER event. No one is forcing these kids to stand around the flagpole and pray. Even when I was in school, at a Christian, not public school, it was a volunteer event for us too.
Maybe you need to realize the world doesn't revolve around your likes and dislikes.
Does that christian school pay taxes, if not then they are imposing on my tax dollar. So in a way I am supporting them. The world would be a better place if it did revolve around my likes and dislikes. I guess I need to work on that.

Since: Jun 07

Saint Leonard, MD

#14 Oct 4, 2007
what a great thing to do. Events like this almost make the most horrible days a little more tolerable. I remember the pledge of allegiance and a prayer said before school started each day. To think these students did this on their own is excellant.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15 Oct 4, 2007
The work of one does more than the prayer of millions. This hokey pseudo-christian nonsense accomplishes nothing.
On the positive side, at least they are not out committing crimes.
Wow

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Oct 4, 2007
Wow, you need to do a litttle more research. The school is ran and supported by the parents and students who PAY. It it not interferring with your taxes at all!!
newanarchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that christian school pay taxes, if not then they are imposing on my tax dollar. So in a way I am supporting them. The world would be a better place if it did revolve around my likes and dislikes. I guess I need to work on that.
scambuster

United States

#17 Oct 4, 2007
newanarchy wrote:
Kick them all out of school, their nonsense is not needed where there id actual learning to be done.
What they do in their own time is their business. You're as bad as the freedom stealing morons who want to mix church and state.

Personally I think this is a pretty cool story.
An American Atheist

Portland, MI

#18 Oct 4, 2007
As an atheist, I am glad to hear children out able to practice their religion. I guess I don't understand why we feel the need to condone something like this when it is so fundamental to our country's core values. To each his own, I say. They weren't doing it while school was in session, and this is a civil liberty that our Constitution rightly protects, so why would anyone be against it?
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

#19 Oct 4, 2007
Wow wrote:
Wow, you need to do a litttle more research. The school is ran and supported by the parents and students who PAY. It it not interferring with your taxes at all!!
<quoted text>
You're wrong, if there are public roads leading to the school I pay for that with my taxes and the church based school does not pay taxes. I subsidize the school by them NOT paying taxes. Churches and church owned properties should have to pay taxes like the rest of us, why the free ride for these profit generating business's?
Wide_Stance

Lansing, MI

#20 Oct 4, 2007
What if they were Muslim students? Or satanists holding an early morning black mass? Freedom for all religions, or just the ones you like?
scambuster

United States

#21 Oct 4, 2007
Wide_Stance wrote:
What if they were Muslim students? Or satanists holding an early morning black mass? Freedom for all religions, or just the ones you like?
That's a stupid argument. Most people would not have a problem with Muslim students praying, but Satanism is not a socially acceptable religion (yet). I suppose a group of satanists could fight the school and win, but without social acceptance it would be a tough battle.
I DONT KNOW

United States

#22 Oct 4, 2007
newanarchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need your fairy tale beliefs with me, keep them too yourself.
go play w/ yourself you will feel...i dont understand why are so scared of something that you dont believe in...sounds abnormal to me.... how can something or someone insult/scare/intimidate you if in your mind it/he/she does not exist? keeping playing w/ yourself you will feel better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casting Crowns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lionel Richie, Casting Crowns among finalists f... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Phillip Kali 1
News Christian bands, speakers to bring hope and hea... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Zoloft 2
News Nonprofit: North Korea orchestra coming to US (Mar '12) Mar '12 Jane 1
News 'All About Jesus' (Mar '12) Mar '12 Midnight Rider 2
News On the radio: KFSH-FM stages holiday concert (Nov '10) Nov '10 Kay 1
News Crowds fill Creation music festival in Mount Union (Jun '10) Jun '10 Ship 1
News Andrea Bocelli tops holiday albums (Dec '09) Dec '09 Pretty Feet 1
More from around the web