It's Ritchie Valens Day in L.A.

Full story: LA Daily News 8
The late rocker Ritchie Valens, who grew up in Pacoima, is being honored Friday in Los Angeles. Full Story

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#1 Jul 3, 2009
I was very, very young when Ritchie died. But a neighbor of mine at the time was a newscaster at KFWB which, also at the time, was the big Top-40 AM station in Los Angeles and he told me several years later when I asked about Ritchie that he was a real gentleman. Respectful and grateful for the opportunity he was given. Just a regular guy from the San Fernando Valley who had a real gift. Not like the uber-hyped fashion plates we've seen for the last 20-30 years.

Ritchie is still remembered and missed.
Norman Moore

South El Monte, CA

#2 Jul 4, 2009
Unfortunately he was not afforded all of the hype surrounding M.J. but had he lived he might have gone on to greater heights than the "Gloved One". I have always wondered what Ritchie or Buddy Holly would have gone onto had they lived as well as the great Patsy Cline. They are all remembered and honored for what they achieved but we will never get to know what more they could have done.

I had the privilege to meet many of the family members of Ritchie Valens, including his mother, while working at the now defunct Valley Cable TV. We were working on a documentary and covering the campaign to get his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I can honestly say that I never met a nicer group of people before or since.
David Puddy

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Jul 4, 2009
real name was Ritchie Valenzuela....went to pacoima jr high...r.i.p.
Norman Moore

South El Monte, CA

#5 Jul 4, 2009
Not Cool wrote:
The city is going to financial hell in a hand basket and on Tuesday it may burn, actually or figuratively really go to hell, and the council has time to waste with this nonsense.
And Connie, it's still not "cool" to be Hispanic and you only have your own people who come into this country illegally to blame. Hear an Hispanic sir name and we automatically think the person is an illegal alien, and it doesn't matter if his family has been here for a hundred generations.
Your comment is totally irrelevant and uncalled for. Having a Ritchie Valens day is not costing a penny unlike the major mishegas for Michael Jackson which is going to overcome the LAPD. I have my gripes with the mayor and California politicians in general but Ritchie lived and died long before these people came around to create our present fiascos.

Shame on you for your post. I hope you reconsider your evil thoughts and make an apology to the Valenzuela family. If not may God bless you on this day for America, all Americans who came here legally and helped make it great, at least for a time.
Brian

AOL

#6 Jul 4, 2009
The entire Grammy Museum event was 1st class. Thank you to Ken Viste (Chief Curator), Katie Dunham (Public Relations Coordinator) and Jonathan Sharpe (Registrar) for all their time and effort they put into this event and made it a success!
Joe Davola

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jul 4, 2009
Not Cool wrote:
The city is going to financial hell in a hand basket and on Tuesday it may burn, actually or figuratively really go to hell, and the council has time to waste with this nonsense.
And Connie, it's still not "cool" to be Hispanic and you only have your own people who come into this country illegally to blame. Hear an Hispanic sir name and we automatically think the person is an illegal alien, and it doesn't matter if his family has been here for a hundred generations.
you're a bitter loser racist...get over yourself
the dude

San Diego, CA

#8 Jul 4, 2009
Not Cool wrote:
your name says it ALL dingbat!
Halkshaw

Pomona, CA

#9 Jul 5, 2009
My brother went to the last Concert he did before his death at the El monte legion staudim. I went to the first Michael Jackson concert in LA it was at the form it was a Jerry Butler concert they brought in the Jackson 5 for their first west coast concert. they were not on the program they were a suprise of new talent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddy Holly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are there any Buddy Holly songs that are not ab... Oct '14 MVesseur 1
Photo? Sep '14 Purbrookian 1
3/3/58 Sep '14 Purbrookian 1
Buddy Holly ever last song in life ??? (Feb '09) Aug '14 Tom parker 13
'Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles.' The band f... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Paul 1
Buddy Holly trousers for sale (Feb '14) Feb '14 Joe Taylro 1
Former pop idol Bobby Vee still has reasons to ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Barb 1
More from around the web