Concert Zurich 2007 - open letter

Posted in the Bryan Ferry Forum

Nicole

Switzerland

#1 Oct 12, 2007
Dear Bryan,

I have been a fan of yours since probably 25 years already. It started with my love for Roxy Music and later for your solo songs.
Therefore, it was clear that when I heard about the concert here in Zurich, I would definitely come and bring my husband with me. We were on vacation in the Netherlands for 10 days and especially came back on Sunday, 22nd in the afternoon not to miss your concert. We organized a babysitter for our daughter and hurried to the concert.

I am sorry to say that it was far from what we expected it to be.
We have been to several concerts with great atmosphere such as one of Elton John a couple of years ago or George Michael recently.
Obviously, they differ in their (music) style from yours. However, they are great artists on stage, very enthusiastic and able to fascinate and involve their audiences for hours (Elton 3 hours, George 2 hours).

What a disappointment after all these years of admiration and passion for your music to see you live on stage and to see that you don't make the effort to connect to the audience. I haven't heard any word adressing the audience, that you like Zurich, be happy to be there and the usual politeness to the host country and its inhabitants, let alone any effort to say something in German. You were not able to get the audience involved from the start, starting with really unknown songs instead of coming with an "icebreaker". A song from Roxy Music would have been a good introduction. You were not enthusiastic at all, not even about your own music.

The worst of all was of course the end: it was insulting to leave after only 75 minutes on stage without any extra songs. Apart from what I heard is a legal obligation to play at least 80 minutes in a concert, an artist has also a moral obligation towards his fans: they spend a lot of time, effort and money to come to your concert and then don't even get a proper show. You emphasise style on your
website: the end of your concert had no style whatsoever. In the local press, they called you a "refridgerator", titling "A gigolo doesn't return" (see below the original text).

I know that you try to convey an image of being a dandy and being different than others, which is good and why people listen to your music in the first place. However, there are common rules of behaviour which apply to everyone. Even a dandy.

Kind regards

Nicole

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryan Ferry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bryan Ferry still rockin' NY's Beacon Theater (Oct '11) Oct '11 Faloola Chong 1
Bryan Ferry recovering in London after feeling ill (Apr '11) Apr '11 Vince Noir 1
Bryan Ferry 'Olympia' Deluxe Vinyl Edition (Oct '10) Oct '10 Musicmaestro 1
A slave to love and lineage (Aug '09) Aug '09 Slave Cumbria Eng... 1
B'sides & non album tracks (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tara 1
Watch Ferry in danish tv show (Jun '07) Jun '07 fan 1
new bryan ferry dvd (Jun '07) Jun '07 giussepe 1
More from around the web