Musikfest Review: Boston brings back ...

Musikfest Review: Boston brings back the good old days

There are 35 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 5, 2008, titled Musikfest Review: Boston brings back the good old days. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

In 1976 my freshman dorm at Lafayette College listened to Boston's first album so much, we practically adopted the band.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
satch

Hartford, CT

#2 Aug 5, 2008
"Chiming, spooning guitars" and "orgasmic Foreplay/Longtime". Looks like somebody opened up a book of adjectives and randomly chose some words. By the way, what does a spooning guitar sound like?

Since: Feb 08

Allentown

#3 Aug 5, 2008
True hipters in 1976 were listening to Patti Smith, Television, and the Ramones to name a few. This is junk and always was.
Suz

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Aug 5, 2008
Holy adjectives Batman!! I couldn't tell if this was a good review or a poor one. BUT I was there and the show rocked. I have and always will love Boston! Crap?? I think not.
BOSTON

Harrisburg, PA

#5 Aug 5, 2008
radical moderate wrote:
True hipters in 1976 were listening to Patti Smith, Television, and the Ramones to name a few. This is junk and always was.
And you must be tone deaf. It was an excellent show last night. Boston is and always will be one of the best rock bands in history! FYI...Patti Smith and the Ramones are not hip...You must have been drinking the bong water back in the 70's.

Allentown

#7 Aug 5, 2008
BOSTON wrote:
<quoted text>
And you must be tone deaf. It was an excellent show last night. Boston is and always will be one of the best rock bands in history! FYI...Patti Smith and the Ramones are not hip...You must have been drinking the bong water back in the 70's.
Patti Smith and the Ramones are in the R and R HOF. Boston and that corporate rock schlock never will be! Whooo!!!!

Allentown

#8 Aug 5, 2008
In order to drown out that noise that made it's way over to the southside I blasted the Replacements album Tim.
perplexed

Bethlehem, PA

#9 Aug 5, 2008
Boston is another word for everything that went wrong with rock and roll, and still is. Easy listening drivel. Where's the danger? Rock and roll ain't about chops.
Old and tired

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Aug 5, 2008
Boston was radio friendly "classic rock" at a time when there were so many other great and original things going on in music. Now musicfest brings them back as a headliner 30 years after their prime??? Shouldn't a music festival as big as it claims to be draw bigger acts than this???

Allentown

#11 Aug 5, 2008
perplexed wrote:
Boston is another word for everything that went wrong with rock and roll, and still is. Easy listening drivel. Where's the danger? Rock and roll ain't about chops.
This is correct. I do not care how fast one can play a guitar. I do not care how great one can play drums. I do not care about long boring solos. If there is no soul, there is nothing. If there is no energy and passion, there is nothing.
TRIPLE K

Allentown, PA

#12 Aug 5, 2008
Old and tired wrote:
Boston was radio friendly "classic rock" at a time when there were so many other great and original things going on in music. Now musicfest brings them back as a headliner 30 years after their prime??? Shouldn't a music festival as big as it claims to be draw bigger acts than this???
OK and being in the radio busniess, and what I play is 50 's and 60's rock and roll, and doo-wop, I go to many of these OLDIE concerts featuring the groups from the time I play on the radio, and just about every place is sold out, now I am talking Kenny Vance (founding father of J and the Americans), the Duprees, and many many more Johnnie Maestro the Brooklyn Bridge, Tokens (lion sleeps tonight) etc they are better NOW than when the were younger, and this weekend in stroudsburg is such one and the joint is SOLD OUT.. So I dont know, are the Classic rockers not apealing any more, no different than Kool and the Gang.. I feel id Muciskfest wants big bucks then they need to get new entertainers of the age younger, but they will have to pay, would a good doo-wop reunion do good there if it was done right, good groups, I believe it would draw.. I feel with good groups from the 60's Shondells, turtles, monkees, good rockers of that time I believe it would draw..
umm

Northampton, PA

#13 Aug 5, 2008
I heard that Boston's first album was number one on the charts for ten years(1976-1986). Is this true?
perplexed

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Aug 5, 2008
umm wrote:
I heard that Boston's first album was number one on the charts for ten years(1976-1986). Is this true?
No.
perplexed

Bethlehem, PA

#15 Aug 5, 2008
Old and tired wrote:
As has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum, there are many reasons why Musikfest does not and/or can not book more contemporary or popular acts.
Old and tired

Harrisburg, PA

#16 Aug 5, 2008
TRIPLE K wrote:
<quoted text> OK and being in the radio busniess, and what I play is 50 's and 60's rock and roll, and doo-wop, I go to many of these OLDIE concerts featuring the groups from the time I play on the radio, and just about every place is sold out, now I am talking Kenny Vance (founding father of J and the Americans), the Duprees, and many many more Johnnie Maestro the Brooklyn Bridge, Tokens (lion sleeps tonight) etc they are better NOW than when the were younger, and this weekend in stroudsburg is such one and the joint is SOLD OUT.. So I dont know, are the Classic rockers not apealing any more, no different than Kool and the Gang.. I feel id Muciskfest wants big bucks then they need to get new entertainers of the age younger, but they will have to pay, would a good doo-wop reunion do good there if it was done right, good groups, I believe it would draw.. I feel with good groups from the 60's Shondells, turtles, monkees, good rockers of that time I believe it would draw..
I'll tell you what, I'd think bringing back the oldies bands with ORIGINAL memebers would be way better than this sham they called "boston" at the musikfest. There was only original member from the band.
smallfeat

United States

#17 Aug 5, 2008
Boston's first 3 albums were filled with great songs- which is why River Place was packed last night.
Please don't assume that because an artist or band is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame that they are better than one that is not. The R&R Hall of Fame is nothing but a collection of Jann Wenner and his cronies' favorite artists.
dope

Whitehall, PA

#18 Aug 5, 2008
Yeah , but the bass player was smokin hot !!!!!! who is that chick ?
Old and tired

Harrisburg, PA

#19 Aug 5, 2008
^^ meant "only one original member from the band"
Herman

Northampton, PA

#20 Aug 5, 2008
TRIPLE K wrote:
<quoted text> OK and being in the radio busniess, and what I play is 50 's and 60's rock and roll, and doo-wop, I go to many of these OLDIE concerts featuring the groups from the time I play on the radio, and just about every place is sold out, now I am talking Kenny Vance (founding father of J and the Americans), the Duprees, and many many more Johnnie Maestro the Brooklyn Bridge, Tokens (lion sleeps tonight) etc they are better NOW than when the were younger, and this weekend in stroudsburg is such one and the joint is SOLD OUT.. So I dont know, are the Classic rockers not apealing any more, no different than Kool and the Gang.. I feel id Muciskfest wants big bucks then they need to get new entertainers of the age younger, but they will have to pay, would a good doo-wop reunion do good there if it was done right, good groups, I believe it would draw.. I feel with good groups from the 60's Shondells, turtles, monkees, good rockers of that time I believe it would draw..
Sure you're not drunk>
d-ceved

Springfield, VA

#21 Aug 5, 2008
This bill white eating tour is terrible...
I would rather look at college pictures of hillary gagging on bill's wild thing rather than this MAROON...

Since: Aug 08

United States

#22 Aug 5, 2008
Hipsters? A wanna-be poet, an appliance, and a band that played the same 2 chords over and over.
Junk for sure...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toni Knott Band heads to Verizon for a showdown (Dec '09) Dec '09 DaveGotFlashed 1
News Yannell House is King of Green New Construction... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Sharon Huck 1
News Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades Songs Announced (Mar '09) Mar '09 big guy 1
News 'Boston' lead singer dead (Mar '07) Feb '09 Randy Shadoan 21
News Why Did a Bank Fail? Because it Supported Gay R... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Ed D35 18
News Boston proves they are rock 'n' roll band (Aug '08) Aug '08 maury povich 4
News Sweet hitches a ride with Boston (Jul '08) Jul '08 Stryped Forever 1
More from around the web