Next Last

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#1 Mar 9, 2013
dream87

Werne, Germany

#2 Mar 9, 2013
What About Now has some good songs.
For me they are: I'm With You, That's What The Water Made Me and Beautiful World.
Pictures Of You, Army Of One, Thick as Thieves and The Fighter have potential but are flawed.
As a whole the album is too poppy with not enough guitar. But the biggest problem is that it's overproduced. It's time they move on to a new producer.
Also, this more a Jon record than a band record. Shanks and Billy Falcon had more influence than Richie, Tico and David...and it's painfully obvious musically and lyrically.
rosa3

Ontario, CA

#3 Mar 9, 2013
okay, not a great review, but lets consider the source. It's not the New York Times.
Summer

Vienna, Austria

#4 Mar 9, 2013
I'm sad to say - the songs are good but like dream87 metioned the records's got a weird spherical Britney-Spears-pop-sound. My favourites are I'm with you, That's what the water made me (both have this disturbing overproduced sound - way better live), What's left of me (could become a classic), Room at the end of the world (dreamy lyrics).
I tend to hate Army of one (strange military imagery) and Thick as thieves (oh well).
To me until now, What about now is one of the weakest songs.
I like the art work and I'm glad the artist Liu Bolin finally got his credit. The Fighter-Army-knife/weapon-symb ols ("I'm a soldier" - awful awful awful!) come across a little strange to me.
The booklet contains no info anymore, no lyrics?
Most of the record reviews in German-speaking countries weren't euphoric, let's put it that way.
Which leads me to the beginning:(A good portion of) the songs are really good, but all together comes across flat and "oiled" for radio airplay. Plus a thick fat "dislike" for all the fighter/soldier-imagery.
Lyric

Keyser, WV

#5 Mar 9, 2013
What constitutes a critic? Just his taste in music vs. everyone else's. An opinion - that's it. I've always wondered why people put so much stock in the critics' opinions. They have no "special ear." I could not care less what any critic says. I know what I like. I'll form my own opinion!! I LOVE almost everything I've heard on the new album. The "critics" can bite me! LOL!!:D
Mia

Strathfield, Australia

#6 Mar 9, 2013
Bon Jovi are one of the luckiest bands in the world. They are always going to sell a couple of million albums no matter if its a hit or miss. The reason for this is that BJ Fans are very loyal.

I personally am happy when I like 1 song on a CD these days. I still think this is better than that disaster of a album Lost Highway.

I just wish that Jon would step outside the square and say how can I do something that SWW did in its day. When you see interviews and he says no I don't listen to anyone when comes to opinions of albums. He knows that BJ fans will buy anything they produce.

It all comes down to Bon Jovi being one of those lucky bands that have really, really loyal fans, that is all of us.
kris

East Setauket, NY

#7 Mar 9, 2013
all good things will come to an end. eventually the loyal fans will be to old to care.
BJ has definetly had some hits along the way but the fans arent loyal because of a song from the 80's its because jon is drop dead gorgeous, if he looked like any of the other rockers from back in the day they never would have lasted as long as they have on some of the stuff they have put out.
Mia

Strathfield, Australia

#8 Mar 9, 2013
kris wrote:
all good things will come to an end. eventually the loyal fans will be to old to care.
BJ has definetly had some hits along the way but the fans arent loyal because of a song from the 80's its because jon is drop dead gorgeous, if he looked like any of the other rockers from back in the day they never would have lasted as long as they have on some of the stuff they have put out.
Your so wrong! Has nothing to do with looks! Then bands like The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith would not be around today. Sorry so don't agree with you.

The loyal fans are here to stay 30 years on still go strong
Jasper

Sydney, Australia

#9 Mar 9, 2013
kris wrote:
I don't think that's true, there is no way people just stay because Jon is gorgeous. There has been other goodlooking guys which haven't lasted. Its the songs and loyalty. Soon the band will end their career not because of loyalty ending but because the band themselves will end the band. Bon Jovi won't be around forever.
kris

East Setauket, NY

#10 Mar 9, 2013
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
Your so wrong! Has nothing to do with looks! Then bands like The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith would not be around today. Sorry so don't agree with you.
The loyal fans are here to stay 30 years on still go strong
the reason the fans are still around for the stones and aerosmith is the music, certainly not the looks but thats because they turn out good songs unlike what BJ has been doing the last few years there is no doubt in my mind that if Jon didnt look as good as he does in a tight pair of jeans no one would give this album or the circle a second listen, loyal or not. I will give you another side to your example, Van halen was huge back in the day and for years the fans were waiting for a true reunion with DLR but the album they put out when they did reunite sucked and loyalty went right out the window. anyone who want to keep shelling out thousands of dollars every couple of years to hear the same old play list plus a little bit of new crap be my guest.
SBJ

Rockville, MD

#11 Mar 9, 2013
In addition to Jon's looks, don't forget his charm, charisma and down-to-earth demeanor. That's why the women love him. I'm not dillusioned about all of that anymore but love the band still!
Mia

Strathfield, Australia

#12 Mar 9, 2013
kris wrote:
<quoted text>the reason the fans are still around for the stones and aerosmith is the music, certainly not the looks but thats because they turn out good songs unlike what BJ has been doing the last few years there is no doubt in my mind that if Jon didnt look as good as he does in a tight pair of jeans no one would give this album or the circle a second listen, loyal or not. I will give you another side to your example, Van halen was huge back in the day and for years the fans were waiting for a true reunion with DLR but the album they put out when they did reunite sucked and loyalty went right out the window. anyone who want to keep shelling out thousands of dollars every couple of years to hear the same old play list plus a little bit of new crap be my guest.
That was my point. The reason BJ are still around is the music as well, that's we're loyalty comes into it.

You don't have to like BJ that's your choice. But a 100 million fans can't be wrong! LOL!
dream87

Werne, Germany

#13 Mar 9, 2013
I've been a loyal fan of the band since I was 13. I'm almost 26 now. The reason I stuck around so long has nothing to do with Jon's looks or his "charisma". I respect him but never liked Jon much....so it was never about that. Personally, I find it offensive that Bon Jovi fans are all put in the same box. What is true for one fan is not true for me.
I have remained a Bon Jovi fan because of Richie. Keeping up with Bon Jovi is pretty much the only way to keep up with him. If Richie left the band, my interest would be gone, too. In my honest opinion - and this might ruffle some feathers - Richie, David and Tico are far more talented than Jon. He is lucky to have them..and for this long. Jon used to be a great singer/songwriter, but now all he brings to the table are his business skills, Billy Falcon as main co-writer and a nasal, whiney voice.
However, I will always be grateful for the These Days record and songs like Dry County and Blood On Blood. That is the other reason I'm still a Bon Jovi fan: They have written and recorded songs that have moved me more than any other band has. That is how they earned my loyalty.

Portimão, Portugal

#14 Mar 10, 2013
Personally I like this album. Yes, there is part of me that wishes to have an album like New Jersey, Keep The Faith and These Days that had amazing songs. With this one I loved their BBC2 Live Concert and now that I am listening to the studio version, I'm not as keen.

As for Jon's looks...I never noticed he was gorgeous...KIDDING!:D I'm a fan since I was 13 (now nearly 36) and I didn't realise he was gorgeous until I got to 16. And then it's the fact their songs are part of your life. You listen to a song and you know what was going on in your life at the time it came out.

I am really grateful they are still around. Jon problem is that he's still trying to win the critics, even if he says he isn't. He's trying to be commercial and accepted. The albums will get better when he doesn't care so much.
Alison

Warwick, RI

#15 Mar 10, 2013
dream87 wrote:
I have remained a Bon Jovi fan because of Richie. Keeping up with Bon Jovi is pretty much the only way to keep up with him. If Richie left the band, my interest would be gone, too.
I agree with you completely I am a Richie Sambora fan. I am a BonJovi fan only because it is the band that Richie plays in. Having been to one of the shows last tour when Richie was in rehab, in my opinion, without him there is no BonJovi. I know you Jon ladies won't agree, and that's O.K., we are all entitled to an opinion.
Miz BusyBody

Palmer, AK

#16 Mar 10, 2013
dream87 wrote:
In my honest opinion - and this might ruffle some feathers - Richie, David and Tico are far more talented than Jon. He is lucky to have them..and for this long. Jon used to be a great singer/songwriter, but now all he brings to the table are his business skills, Billy Falcon as main co-writer and a nasal, whiney voice.
I agree that Richie, David and Tico are more talented as *musicians*; however, none of them could carry a concert as a frontman, even Richie. Jon has the elusive "IT" that transcends looks. Richie is a close second but I think he'd quickly burn out as a frontman. Let's face it, all the band members look good but when I see photos of Jon from the 80s, he was one cocky bastard (and I mean that in a good way). He also stayed more on focus right from the first in guiding the band that carried his name than the others. Unauthorized biographies report the escapades of others but tend to mention time and again how serious Jon was. Jon is also the lead songwriter for the band and he has written some great stuff--and still does in my opinion. Everyone's talents combine to make Bon Jovi the band it is.

Location hidden

#17 Mar 10, 2013
This is a quote from dream87 first post.
"Also, this is more a Jon record than a band record. Shanks and Billy Falcon had more influence than Richie, Tico and David...and it's painfully obvious musically and lyrically." This I totally agree with.

Jon should have made a solo record! This record has Jon all over it's a way to state his political beliefs and talk about his charity work. I don't think that there is anything wrong with him wanting to get his message out but why involve the rest of BJ under the guise of a BJ album.He could have recorded it with the KOS and toured with them. Then could have donated all the proceeds to the SF and came out looking like a hero.

Since: Jan 09

New Jersey

#18 Mar 10, 2013
If Richie, Tico or David were unhappy with the product produced or didn't want to perform the songs they could walk away. They do have free will. Tico is a successful artist, David has been very successful with his Broadway/off-Broadway plays and Richie has been successful at hmmm, will just go with tabloid fodder. Since none of them walked away it is a band album.

That said I like the new album and think the songs performed live are better then the cd, cd doesn't do the songs justice. I look at each new CD as an adventure.
Buzzed

Winnipeg, Canada

#19 Mar 10, 2013
Charlotte 6 wrote:
Jon should have made a solo record! This record has Jon all over it's a way to state his political beliefs and talk about his charity work. I don't think that there is anything wrong with him wanting to get his message out but why involve the rest of BJ under the guise of a BJ album.He could have recorded it with the KOS and toured with them. Then could have donated all the proceeds to the SF and came out looking like a hero.
Yes, he should have done a solo record. He didn't because no one wants to see Jon Bon Jovi and TKOS in concert. Jon wants to tour in the style he's accustomed to and there's no way he'd be able to do that with TKOS.(he tried that last summer and it failed miserably) And we're never going to see the day that he releases a record and tours it giving all proceeds to charity.(and quite frankly, I've never heard of anyone doing this but please enlighten me if you know anyone who has)

Location hidden

#20 Mar 10, 2013
Buzzed wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he should have done a solo record. He didn't because no one wants to see Jon Bon Jovi and TKOS in concert. Jon wants to tour in the style he's accustomed to and there's no way he'd be able to do that with TKOS.(he tried that last summer and it failed miserably) And we're never going to see the day that he releases a record and tours it giving all proceeds to charity.(and quite frankly, I've never heard of anyone doing this but please enlighten me if you know anyone who has)
No I never heard of it either. But Jon being so charity minded I thought it would be a good idea.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Actors/Actresses In Bon Jovi Clips (Aug '11) Jan 31 Julienceaser 51
Anyone know where to find this video of Jon? Jan 30 mgemay 2
Too Much Salt, Not Enough Pepper Jan 29 LA Fan 1
Mys? Jan 28 galer 12
That's What The Water Made Me (Feb '13) Jan 28 mark 7
Great Bon Jovi Videos on Maxmouth (Mar '08) Jan 16 Travis 7
News Report: Bon Jovi Stiffed M'Town on O.T. (Jul '15) Jan 15 RustyS 8
More from around the web