Laryngitis Forces Richie Sambora to c...

Laryngitis Forces Richie Sambora to cancel solo U.S. tour dates

Posted in the Bon Jovi Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WizardofOsrin

Miami, FL

#1 Oct 18, 2012
Fresh off a triumphant series of shows in Europe in support of his brilliant solo CD 'Aftermath of the Lowdown', the Bon Jovi guitarist is afflicted with laryngitis and ordered by doctors to rest his voice.

http://www.examiner.com/article/aftermath-of-...

Since: Jan 09

New Jersey

#2 Oct 18, 2012
Sambora has been afflicted with a wicked case of laryngitis, and has had to cancel the remaining U.S. dates of his pint-sized solo tour on the orders of doctors who have prescribed complete vocal rest.

Video: Richie Sambora performs 'Weathering The Storm" in Europe
No, your senses arenít playing tricks with your head: the screams and sounds of glass shattering are indeed the fan fallout from this unexpected announcement. Lord knows many is the time when a woman would wish that a man shut his mouth, but this ainít one of them!
Rapt loyal fans have been waiting with baited breath stateside for the chance to see Richie large- and-in-charge, without having to share a stage with anyone but himself and Father Time and a few of his closest friends.
Unfortunately, this Thursdayís show in Philadelphia, Toronto on Saturday and New York City on Sunday, October 23 have all been cancelled.
Pollstar also reported that the Toronto show will be rescheduled for early in 2013, but as of yet no word on the others, which includes the JBJ Backstage Fan Club Travel Package for New York City.

New Jersey

#3 Oct 18, 2012
Look at a calendar Is October 23rd Sunday, dope can't even get that right. Cali shows have not been cancelled yet. But the FC show has been cancelled it is the NY show on tues the 23rd. They did put something else together.

IMO none will be rescheduled as the have done automatic refunds. If shows are going to be rescheduled they don't give automatic refunds, you need to request a refund.

Vancouver, Canada

#4 Oct 18, 2012
Laryngitis...sure...that's it.....check out a fan's London review...Oct 16th...2 days before Philly...no mention of voice troubles..
http://www.getreadytorock.com/reviews2012/ric...

I think jet lag got the best of him and he couldn't get it together for Philly. when you are 53 you can't jump form country to country like you could when you were 23....

I feel for the people who lost $$$$ in hotel rooms and travel expenses...
Kim

Australia

#5 Oct 18, 2012
Guest wrote:
Laryngitis...sure...that's it.....check out a fan's London review...Oct 16th...2 days before Philly...no mention of voice troubles..
http://www.getreadytorock.com/reviews2012/ric...
I think jet lag got the best of him and he couldn't get it together for Philly. when you are 53 you can't jump form country to country like you could when you were 23....
I feel for the people who lost $$$$ in hotel rooms and travel expenses...
I heard it was ticket sales, the shows weren't sold out. He was well enough to do a 2 and half hours show in London and was even at a local jazz club to perform but now can't perform? He is even doing the runaways fanclub q & a. Wouldn't he completely relax his voice? What kind of frontman would he make? A few shows and then it's cancelled?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#6 Oct 19, 2012
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it was ticket sales, the shows weren't sold out. He was well enough to do a 2 and half hours show in London and was even at a local jazz club to perform but now can't perform? He is even doing the runaways fanclub q & a. Wouldn't he completely relax his voice? What kind of frontman would he make? A few shows and then it's cancelled?
I wondered if ticket sales were the real reason. He's kinda stuck either way. Yes it would be embarrassing to admit the tour wasn't selling, but I imagine they'll be some backlash if the fans find out he lied about laryngitis just to save face. On that note, for his sake, I hope his voice really is compromised.

On the other hand, I'm afraid it doesn't speak well of his preparedness to do this tour if his voice really is shot after only a few shows. He's had vocal training over the years, he knows how to warm up and cool down. You're right Kim, not much of a frontman if he can't sing after a few shows. I know he's been doing a lot of promotional interviews too, but he knows there has to be a balance. He may not carry the load vocally during a band tour, but he has enough experience (he sings enough and does enough interviews for the band) that he should have a better grip on keeping his voice strong when he's on the road.

As for the fan club trip, I suppose it could still be done. You don't need a voice to sign autographs and pose for pictures. For the Q&A they could set him up with a laptop, have him type out his answers and have someone sit next to him and read them back. He could even play the guitar, just have other band members sing or lead crowd sing-a-longs. It's not the performance that people envisioned when they signed up, but it would be better than nothing.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#7 Oct 19, 2012
Anyone can get sick and quickly, Richie had a cold when the tour started. As far as his frontman abilities he has already proven he is as good or better than most.

As far as the shows not being sold out one of the followers I have on twitter posted some research she did. And the tickets left for each show were under 40. Philly and the show in Canada will be rescheduled, if they were having trouble selling tickets the first time they would not be rescheduling shows to try and sell tickets again.

“I'll be There for You”

Since: Dec 06

"How are we doin so far, ok?"

#8 Oct 19, 2012
Whatever the reason, i feel sorry for him ;-(

New Jersey

#9 Oct 19, 2012
Charlotte wrote:
Anyone can get sick and quickly, Richie had a cold when the tour started. As far as his frontman abilities he has already proven he is as good or better than most.
As far as the shows not being sold out one of the followers I have on twitter posted some research she did. And the tickets left for each show were under 40. Philly and the show in Canada will be rescheduled, if they were having trouble selling tickets the first time they would not be rescheduling shows to try and sell tickets again.
That is flat out not true. The research was done on resellers sites, not off of ticketmaster. We will see if things are rescheduled but things that are rescheduled automatic refunds are not done for.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#10 Oct 19, 2012
MaureenH wrote:
Whatever the reason, i feel sorry for him ;-(
Me too. If the voice is shot I feel bad, if the shows weren't selling I feel bad. It's an amazing album. I was hoping he'd come to the Boston area because I just don't think we'll get much solo stuff from him as part of the band's tour. I know it's been mentioned that it'll be included, but realistically I only see it being a song or two of his in the band's setlist.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#11 Oct 19, 2012
BonJersey wrote:
<quoted text>
That is flat out not true. The research was done on resellers sites, not off of ticketmaster. We will see if things are rescheduled but things that are rescheduled automatic refunds are not done for.
Sorry only posting what I have read. I have no idea what kind of site the research was done on. As far as the automatic refunds they are done even if the concert is going to be rescheduled. I have had a lot of experience with that because of my obsession with Aerosmith. When they cancel and believe me over they years they have done so several times the ticket holder is given the choice. But you are right we will have to wait and see if Richie's concerts are rescheduled.

New Jersey

#12 Oct 19, 2012
Richie himself posted he couldn't announce more dates until the other dates sold. He never announced anymore dates. Clearly they didn't sell.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#13 Oct 19, 2012
BonJersey wrote:
Richie himself posted he couldn't announce more dates until the other dates sold. He never announced anymore dates. Clearly they didn't sell.
But he posted that a week or 2 before his tour started. I'm not saying I know everything but no one else around here does either.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
jerzeme

Oviedo, FL

#14 Oct 19, 2012
well thank goodness he has an amazing band to fall back on. They will soon be on tour together and all this mess will be quickly forgotten.
Kim

Australia

#15 Oct 19, 2012
Charlotte wrote:
This happened on the Undiscovered Tour in 1998, the shows didn't sell and he blamed Laryngitis then too. They are pretending to reschedule these shows. You don't get offered automatic refund if these shows are going to be performed. So instead of saying they are cancelled, they say postpone.

Regarding frontman, I'm talking about the ability to look after ones voice and take care of himself. Yes, he proved that he can carry a show and entertain an audience but a handful of shows (throw in some promotion) and that's it? A frontman/woman is better prepared to look after themselves. What about those singers who do mutliple shows in one city and then go to another and do more shows? Look at Madonna, she is currently on a world tour. He was doing one show per city and only 5 shows all up.

There was no more shows going to be planned. He wasn't selling out the shows already on, no other shows were going to be added. Then when it comes to making up these shows, the Bon Jovi tour will be annouced and then he/management will blame that.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

New Jersey

#16 Oct 19, 2012
You are correct Kim but some don't like reality. Richie is suffering from PST, aka poor ticket sales. Good thing Jon is the CEO/quarterback because if it was left to richie the organization would have crashed and burned long ago.
jerzeme

Oviedo, FL

#17 Oct 19, 2012
BonJersey wrote:
You are correct Kim but some don't like reality. Richie is suffering from PST, aka poor ticket sales. Good thing Jon is the CEO/quarterback because if it was left to richie the organization would have crashed and burned long ago.
Totally agree BonJersey, despite his few rapid fans on here, Richie, although a talented and capable band member could never have made it on his own, he simply doesn't have what it takes as a frontman or solo act. Haters gonna hate but that's alright facts are facts.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#18 Oct 19, 2012
BonJersey wrote:
I have to agree with the fact that Jon is a CEO/Quarterback. Richie is more of a talented musical artist not a business man. We all know what Jon does best!
Rosa

Australia

#19 Oct 19, 2012
Charlotte wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with the fact that Jon is a CEO/Quarterback. Richie is more of a talented musical artist not a business man. We all know what Jon does best!
Talented musical artist who doesn't know how to take care of himself? Yes, very talented. He couldn't perform a few concerts and imagine him doing a full fledge tour? Say what you want about Jon but no one can deny the man delivers and performed every single show and is fit and knows what he is doing. Bon Jovi would not be where they are now, without Jon. They would have gone with all the other hair mental bands.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#20 Oct 19, 2012
The last time I looked this was a thread about Richie no where in the title is there a hint that it has anything to do with Jon! There are more than enough threads that one can go to on this forum to talk about "The CEO" without mucking this one up with him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone ever used Ticket Liquidator???? (Feb '08) Oct 30 ribb 167
Jon Bon Jovi - unfaithful!? (May '07) Oct 26 Cajun_Jon_Bonjovi 662
News Richie Sambora Reveals Whether He'd Join Bon Jo... Oct 26 mgemay 2
does anybody know who this girl is with richie (Jun '11) Oct '17 Lee 45
LOL!!! What cologne do you think Richie and Jo... (Oct '08) Oct '17 Qwnofswing 14
News Rock Hall of Fame: Radiohead, Rage, Bon Jovi, D... Oct '17 BJ Fan 1
jon and jennifer aniston (May '08) Sep '17 clouwee 69
More from around the web