Anyone ever notice BJ was better befo...

Anyone ever notice BJ was better before Obie

Posted in the Bon Jovi Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lucky1

Redlands, CA

#1 Dec 27, 2012
I think they rocked before tge old man came aboard. Wish they'd go back to whoever they had before.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Buzzed

The Pas, Canada

#2 Dec 27, 2012
Obie has nothing to do with whether new (or old) Bon Jovi music rocks or not. He is neither doing the writing or producing and nothing comes out of the recording studio that Jon doesn't want to come out of the recording studio. Seriously Lucky, you need to stop mixing such large amounts of meds because you are so all over the page right now that it's scary.:(
Lucky1

United States

#3 Dec 27, 2012
Buzzed wrote:
Obie has nothing to do with whether new (or old) Bon Jovi music rocks or not. He is neither doing the writing or producing and nothing comes out of the recording studio that Jon doesn't want to come out of the recording studio. Seriously Lucky, you need to stop mixing such large amounts of meds because you are so all over the page right now that it's scary.:(
You don't believe he has any influence on what they produce? Didn't some guy from Vancouver, Bruce Fairbain a name like that do their first three records? How about Crush? It seems like after that things all got softer and more country. Do you think it's just Jon's decision on the style change? He does seem to like older music than his age group. Wish he'd hang around Jesse and get some youthful influence just for something different. Not saying I don't like his music, just would like it more upbeat for a while.
Buzzed

The Pas, Canada

#4 Dec 27, 2012
Of course the producer of an album has something to do with what the music will sound like coming out of the studio but Obie is NOT a producer and never has been. He's a "sound engineer". As the music scene changes, Jon and Richie change, and the years go by (and producers go by) of course the music is going to change also. Yes, the band has gotten "softer" over the years but it has NOTHING to do with Obie O'Brien.(I'm not sure why you think it does. Just because he's an older friend of Jon's? Well, lets blame Bobbie too then, or maybe Tico and Hugh) Probably one of the reasons the rock is getting softer is because it's harder to perform the hard rock songs live. Touring is where they make their money now so they have to be able to do 2-3 hour shows 4 or 5 days a week for months at a time. There's no way they could keep up that pace if they had to do more harder rocking songs every night. There is always going to be mid tempo songs and ballads on Bon Jovi albums (with a few harder songs) so we might as well accept that fact.

Like you, I'd like for their albums to rock harder too but from here on out I think it's going to go in the other direction instead, however none of this has anything to do with Obie.
JBshowtime

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Dec 27, 2012
Idk about Obie but I do agree jon acts way older then he is. He's only 50, so is clooney, brad Pitt and Johnny depp or even Marc anthony. yet jon acts like an old man compared to them. he like to act as old as Bruce or even Richard Gere. Wish he's stop aging himself. Not just musically but mentally. He talks like he's so old and can't relate to today's music or current events.
JBshowtime

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Dec 27, 2012
Although I must add, Jon's always acted older then his age. If you watch his old interviews, in KTF time or even Crush, cuz he is serious and wants to be taken seriously he always came off old and boring. Even though he is the younger of the band. Oh well, still hot tho! Haha
Lucky1

Oceanside, CA

#7 Dec 27, 2012
JBshowtime wrote:
Idk about Obie but I do agree jon acts way older then he is. He's only 50, so is clooney, brad Pitt and Johnny depp or even Marc anthony. yet jon acts like an old man compared to them. he like to act as old as Bruce or even Richard Gere. Wish he's stop aging himself. Not just musically but mentally. He talks like he's so old and can't relate to today's music or current events.
His taste in music is old for his age too. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just unusual. Most people with kids tend to listen to more current younger stuff along with their generation. Jon seems to sing stuff beyond his generation. You sure as heck wouldn't catch me listening to John Denver, Englebird Humperdink or Andy Williams. I'd listen but never want to play it or buy it. He is an odd bird. A good song bird!!! I think he ought to hang out with Johnny Depp for a while...to get a younger vibe going on. I've heard Depp is a bit odd too. I knew someone that was considering becoming his estate manager and he told me that Depp's sister controls about everything in his life.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lucky1

Oceanside, CA

#8 Dec 27, 2012
Buzzed wrote:
Of course the producer of an album has something to do with what the music will sound like coming out of the studio but Obie is NOT a producer and never has been. He's a "sound engineer". As the music scene changes, Jon and Richie change, and the years go by (and producers go by) of course the music is going to change also. Yes, the band has gotten "softer" over the years but it has NOTHING to do with Obie O'Brien.(I'm not sure why you think it does. Just because he's an older friend of Jon's? Well, lets blame Bobbie too then, or maybe Tico and Hugh) Probably one of the reasons the rock is getting softer is because it's harder to perform the hard rock songs live. Touring is where they make their money now so they have to be able to do 2-3 hour shows 4 or 5 days a week for months at a time. There's no way they could keep up that pace if they had to do more harder rocking songs every night. There is always going to be mid tempo songs and ballads on Bon Jovi albums (with a few harder songs) so we might as well accept that fact.
Like you, I'd like for their albums to rock harder too but from here on out I think it's going to go in the other direction instead, however none of this has anything to do with Obie.
What does Mike Rew do? I thought he was an engineer.
del

Spring Hill, FL

#9 Dec 28, 2012
Lucky1 wrote:
I think they rocked before tge old man came aboard. Wish they'd go back to whoever they had before.
Kiss any future BJ or JBJ show goodbye Tracy! Security is waiting for you at the door. Cheers!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10 Dec 28, 2012
del wrote:
<quoted text>
Kiss any future BJ or JBJ show goodbye Tracy! Security is waiting for you at the door. Cheers!
Yup they sure are. Does she really think after her comments re: Obie and rape allegations against Jon (that Matt and the gang now know about) that she's even allowed in a show ever again. Out of her mind!

Since: Feb 07

Guelph, Canada

#11 Dec 28, 2012
Obie had been with Bon Jovi right from the start, so I don't know how you'd think Bon Jovi were better before Obie as there was no Bon Jovi before Obie. As far as I know, Jon and Obie met at the Power Station.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#12 Dec 28, 2012
I don't think Obie has anything to do with the music. But the OP is right about one thing BJ has not had the RNR spirit in a long, long time.

“Pet me. Now!”

Since: Aug 08

in the Delta land

#13 Dec 28, 2012
Lucky1's comment (paraphrasing here) about parents usually listen to what their kids are listening to reminded me of my late mother. Many, many years ago (when I was a teen!) my mom knew all the latest songs and bands etc. She even had her favorites. Her friends were clueless and she would tell them they needed a teenager in the house and then they'd know the current music, too. LOL I don't know that Jon means to come across as old, I think he just tries to be serious and "executive-like." He probably has a goofy side somewhere :D
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#14 Dec 29, 2012
mgemay wrote:
Obie had been with Bon Jovi right from the start, so I don't know how you'd think Bon Jovi were better before Obie as there was no Bon Jovi before Obie. As far as I know, Jon and Obie met at the Power Station.
No he has not. You are I'll informed.
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#15 Dec 29, 2012
del wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I am so scared!!! You are one dumb fm. You have no idea who I know beyond Bon Jovi and I am not trying to meet them anymore. I can pay to hear them play. Maybe I ought to send Matt another message. He isn't to fond of the whackos posting around here so shut up!!!
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#16 Dec 29, 2012
Shes Alexandra Forrest wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup they sure are. Does she really think after her comments re: Obie and rape allegations against Jon (that Matt and the gang now know about) that she's even allowed in a show ever again. Out of her mind!
Never accused anyone of rape you freak! You know it and have nothing better to do than pick on me because either you weren't allowed backstage or you boyfriend liked me or you couldn't stand my popularity. Pan Am women were popular in the day so what can I say. Your green and wasting your time making me laugh at you!
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#17 Dec 29, 2012
del wrote:
<quoted text>
Who the he(( are you to say who can come to a show or not? You aren't Paul or Matt and just bcuz Obie's in a pissy mood doesn't mean he wil be next year. You are one nut to think anyone involved gives two shiOts if I attend a show or not. I don't hang with anyone working for them. Their band and crew are not my main musical interest. Myles Kennedy and Eminem are. Already planning a trip to Ireland to see Em!
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#18 Dec 29, 2012
Shes Alexandra Forrest wrote:
<quoted text>
Matt knows me well enough to know aid never say something so nuts. I used to get ticked at Tony but never told fabrications about him. Nobody cared about hearing about him anyway - the site i's about the band's music which was the topic here before the annoyed old man got his panties up in a bunch. All the rude stuff cones from him. Watch ...they'll be much more.
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#19 Dec 29, 2012
del wrote:
<quoted text>
I dare you to say who you are bcuz u are a total nobody! With nutbalks like you going to their shows I may not want to bother. Never seen so many creepy people who love to fight fans. I'll stick to Slash and Myles - all smiles and nobdrama, not to mention Myles had the best voice in the world! And Eminem i's a genius - do me a favor DEL - stay away from those shows. Don't need tour ugly vibe. Go give BJ a BJ!
Lucky1

Whittier, CA

#20 Dec 29, 2012
mgemay wrote:
He didn't record them until at least their third album. I met them in 85 and saw them through about 92 pretty often. I think I saw Obie for the first time on 92. He wasn't on the road before 91 - I'm pretty sure of that. But He'S JON'S BEST FRIEND and ge tells a lot of people that. Reminds me of a kindergartner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bon Jovi to sing at NYC Hillary Clinton fundraiser (Jan '09) Thu Lily LedBetter 67
how to download videos of youtube? (Aug '07) Thu William C Walker 31
Instrument played at beginning of Living on a P... (Mar '06) May 17 Will 3
Actors/Actresses In Bon Jovi Clips (Aug '11) Apr 25 taviz 61
Edge Of A Broken Heart (Nov '13) Apr '18 Ebum 20
Bon Jovi and Family Members (Jun '11) Mar '18 mgemay 96
Pit Seats for THINFS Tour?? (Nov '16) Mar '18 Jim 5