Bon Jovi Has Jumped the Shark

Posted in the Bon Jovi Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Long Island Fan

New York, NY

#1 May 15, 2013
I've been a Bon Jovi fan dating back to the late 80s and a long time supporter of the band even when it wasn't "cool" to be a Bon Jovi fan.
I went to see Bon Jovi 3 straight nights back in '95 at Jones Beach Theatre...
I've driven to Tradewinds on the Jersey Shore to see a pre-tour warm up show, ventured to Asbury Park to see an intimate gig and so forth.
I've been in attendance at Count Basie Theatre for the Fan Club Christmas Gig's.
However, that band has long disappeared. Why? They've lost touch with what made them popular among the long time fans as those gigs are nothing but a thing of the past.
Also, the band's creativity is gone and that includes the "no-thought" set lists that plague this tour.
It's frankly shocking that they wouldn't WANT to keep things fresh by varying the setlists, yes... much like Bruce does!
They have tons of material that date 30 years and they continuously ignore 90% of their history during these prolonged tours, when its ideal to open up the shows.
Jon's an artist and you'd normally hope an artist wants to maintain his creativity.
Now, no Richie Sambora on top of all of it.... and a lead singer with NO VOICE... Even more troubling!
Tinker ell

Kilmarnock, UK

#2 May 15, 2013
It really seems to have gone wrong this tour.I personally think that the band should have taken a year or two out and had a long break from touring and all these solo projects Jon does too.They may have all been pleased to have returned to the stage then and also brought new material to the concerts.They all seem so tired and worn out.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3 May 15, 2013
Tinker ell wrote:
It really seems to have gone wrong this tour.I personally think that the band should have taken a year or two out and had a long break from touring and all these solo projects Jon does too.They may have all been pleased to have returned to the stage then and also brought new material to the concerts.They all seem so tired and worn out.
So do a lot of other people and I think your wish will come true after this tour. We won't be seeing Bon Jovi for a long time after this.
Tinker ell

Kilmarnock, UK

#4 May 15, 2013
Yes so sad but true,what a shame for such an amazing band.Jon seems burnt out and he's probably regretting this tour. It's not really doing much good for their reputation.!! I'm going to see them in Manchester in June but I'm not as excited as I normally am I really don't believe the band want to be there at this moment in time!!
Tinkerbell

Kilmarnock, UK

#5 May 15, 2013
Fingers crossed Richie goes back to the band and this tour ends happily!!!!:)

Since: Jan 09

Audubon, Pennsylvania

#6 May 15, 2013
JonGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
So do a lot of other people and I think your wish will come true after this tour. We won't be seeing Bon Jovi for a long time after this.
I agree -- they should have taken more time off -- do their solo projects, etc., and come back to the fans energized and enthusiastic. Don't feel much of either and I've been to 2 shows so far. It would also have let the fans build up their "jovi" fund a bit more, too!
SBJ

Rockville, MD

#7 May 15, 2013
Their last tour was two years ago and I thought they usually do tour every two years for the most part?
Love my Jovi

Honolulu, HI

#8 May 15, 2013
Keep in mind this is the historic 30 years. I think they had to tour. I'm hoping they will make it to the Pacific Northwest like they stated...and with Richie.

Since: Feb 07

Guelph, Canada

#9 May 15, 2013
SBJ wrote:
Their last tour was two years ago and I thought they usually do tour every two years for the most part?
Yes..that's been the usual pattern..give or take a bit for the last few tours. IMO the break wasn't any shorter than usual.

The band played the last concert of The Circle tour in July 2011. The first concert of Because We Can tour was played in February 2013. 17 months off by my count.

The band played the last concert of the LH tour in July 2008. The first concert of The Circle tour was played in February 2010. 17 months off by my count.

The band played the last concert of the HAND tour in July 2006. The first concert of the LH tour was in October 2008. 15 months off by my count.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#10 May 15, 2013
mgemay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes..that's been the usual pattern..give or take a bit for the last few tours. IMO the break wasn't any shorter than usual.
The band played the last concert of The Circle tour in July 2011. The first concert of Because We Can tour was played in February 2013. 17 months off by my count.
The band played the last concert of the LH tour in July 2008. The first concert of The Circle tour was played in February 2010. 17 months off by my count.
The band played the last concert of the HAND tour in July 2006. The first concert of the LH tour was in October 2008. 15 months off by my count.
True, the break is the same but look at how many tours there has been. Since 2005 3 more albums have been released. When you look at other bands, is that the norm? They really don't give us time to miss them. I remember the break between These Days and Crush, that was 5 years but when they came back, they were on fire and had IML. Now I am not expecting another IML but at least give us time to miss them.
Bonbongirl

Los Angeles, CA

#11 May 16, 2013
JonGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
True, the break is the same but look at how many tours there has been. Since 2005 3 more albums have been released. When you look at other bands, is that the norm? They really don't give us time to miss them. I remember the break between These Days and Crush, that was 5 years but when they came back, they were on fire and had IML. Now I am not expecting another IML but at least give us time to miss them.
Haha that's cuz jon tried acting. Or else that 5 years wouldn't have happened. No more acting and so he tours nonstop.:)

I do think that's the norm for jam bands like Dave Mathews band, Bruce... They all tour nonstop as well.
natyb

France

#12 May 16, 2013
Two things I would like to add to your posts I agree with : I thinh they sould have take a longer break and take more time for their solo works (most songs in WAN sound more like part of a Jon's solo album IMO). Then it's true that the setlits are more or less always the same, it's such a pitty compared to the huge amount of material they have... It would be so much fun if they played some songs they hardly even played live. I appreciate also when there are some covers (the juke box sessions ...) But then maybe they (he) should also change more often the songs .... However, with the news going on, I feel more and more regret not being able to go and see them (even without Richie) this year .... I'm afraid it would be looooong time before the band tours again ... If ever again .... But let's hope I'm wrong to be pessimistic ...
kris

Warwick, NY

#13 May 16, 2013
just focusing on the time in between tours does not tell the whole story. the songs don't just appear out of nowhere so you have to factor in the time it takes to write and record etc. so if there is roughly 18 months between the end of one tour and the beginning of the next subtract 3 to 6 months from that to get the next album done so in reality they guys only have a year to do their own thing.
WTF

Kurnell, Australia

#14 May 16, 2013
Long Island Fan wrote:
I've been a Bon Jovi fan dating back to the late 80s and a long time supporter of the band even when it wasn't "cool" to be a Bon Jovi fan.
I've driven to Tradewinds on the Jersey Shore to see a pre-tour warm up show, ventured to Asbury Park to see an intimate gig and so forth.
I've been in attendance at Count Basie Theatre for the Fan Club Christmas Gig's.
However, that band has long disappeared. Why? They've lost touch with what made them popular among the long time fans as those gigs are nothing but a thing of the past.
Also, the band's creativity is gone and that includes the "no-thought" set lists that plague this tour.
It's frankly shocking that they wouldn't WANT to keep things fresh by varying the setlists, yes... much like Bruce does!
They have tons of material that date 30 years and they continuously ignore 90% of their history during these prolonged tours, when its ideal to open up the shows.
Jon's an artist and you'd normally hope an artist wants to maintain his creativity.
Now, no Richie Sambora on top of all of it.... and a lead singer with NO VOICE... Even more troubling!
WTF!!!

Since: Feb 07

Guelph, Canada

#15 May 16, 2013
JonGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Four years to be exact as TD ended in July 1996 and Crush started in July 2000. During that time we saw Jon release Destination Anywhere and Richie release Undiscovered Soul and quite a few movies from Jon.

There was a longer break between Bounce and HAND too, but they released TLFR and the Boxset during that time and no tours..only a couple of special shows.

I have not looked at stats from other bands. Re studio albums, Bon Jovi do have less than others when you compared to the total number of albums sold.
Maybe Baybe

Milpitas, CA

#16 May 16, 2013
Long Island Fan wrote:
I must say, Long Island Fan seems to have posted the most honest remarks I've read in quite sometime. They are definitely NOT the band they used to be, but maybe that's to be expected. Such a large part of their draw, I believe, was their chemistry together. Now I see none of that. Is it burnout? lack of creativity? Or just the normal progression of a band this age that have literally seen (and done) it all. And no one (until now) ever comments on how painful it is to watch Jon try and sing some of those songs with a voice that is not hardly recognizable from even 5-7 years ago. It makes me a little sad.

Since: Jan 09

New Jersey

#17 May 16, 2013
mgemay wrote:
<quoted text>
Four years to be exact as TD ended in July 1996 and Crush started in July 2000. During that time we saw Jon release Destination Anywhere and Richie release Undiscovered Soul and quite a few movies from Jon.
There was a longer break between Bounce and HAND too, but they released TLFR and the Boxset during that time and no tours..only a couple of special shows.
I have not looked at stats from other bands. Re studio albums, Bon Jovi do have less than others when you compared to the total number of albums sold.
Also between These Days and Crush, the record company changed hands and management was a revolving door so it was difficult for the band to get answers for the release of another album.
Karen

UK

#18 May 16, 2013
mgemay wrote:
<quoted text>
But the point is that the album/tour schedule has been going on since the year 2000!
13 years without a proper break is ridiculous for the band and overkill for the fans.
They needed a proper 4 year break without any kind of Bon Jovi stuff going on.
trevor baldwin

Ascot, UK

#19 May 16, 2013
when it comes down to it they are professional musicians, if they did not record and tour what else is there. why are they so legendary, because they are the top touring act in the world yet people are saying that they should take a long break. if they took a 5 year break now they would probably never be able to tour on this scale again. to those saying they are not as good now all the reviews are pretty positive and the fans are saying how good they are. it is a shame about richie but at least the rest of the group are still prepared to tour and we have to enjoy them while we can because they will not go on forever.
ksluvbj

Toronto, Canada

#20 May 16, 2013
As long as the demand is still there I say they should continue to tour. My hubby went to his first ever show in Vegas and he is not a music fan, BUT after the show he was amazed at the energy and the interaction between the band and the crowd. He now understands my obsession LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Phil X 6 hr jbjpeaches 1
News We're all livin' on a prayer: How a hair band a... Thu BJ Fan 3
Who is Joey Keys?? (Jan '08) Wed JonsGirl 6
Dorothea a "little petite 5 foot 6 maniac", say... (Jul '08) Feb 22 MissDaisy 62
Lita Ford's one night stand with Richie Sambora... (Feb '16) Feb 22 MissDaisy 11
Actors/Actresses In Bon Jovi Clips (Aug '11) Feb 22 MissDaisy 58
What question would you ask Jon Bon Jovi? (Jul '07) Feb 18 BJ Fan 29
More from around the web