Jon's smoking
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Poland

#1 Jan 27, 2009
I read the posts where people were complaining about Jon's smoking and its possible influence on his voice. I also happened to see two Jon's interviews (of 1996-98) where he is holding a cigarette.

I am just curious if his smoking is THE SMOKING (lots and lost of cigarettes)or it is just occassional. I know that David Bowie's smoking was widely known and discussed. But the amounts of fags he smoked made his habit impossible to be unnoticed. At his worst period he smoked 40-60 cigarettes a day and later reduced it to, say, 20-30! LOL!

I cannot somehow imagine that Jon is THE SMOKER in a similar sense as David Bowie (by the way - Bowie is my other God - shares with Jon the position of the Hero in my music world)

Since: Feb 08

Venus, PA

#2 Jan 27, 2009
I would say he probably is a light smoker. I'm about 2-3 ppd (like Bowie at his worst, apparently) and I rarely go more than an hour between smokes. If Jon smoked that heavily, you'd see him more frequently with a smoke.

Poland

#3 Jan 27, 2009
Yeah, if somebody smokes like Bowie did it cannot go unnoticed. even during the shortest interview he appeared with a cigarette. As if he could not do without it! Jon is hardly ever seen with one. And nowadays he does not appear at TV interviews with a cigarette

Poland

#4 Jan 27, 2009
Opester wrote:
I'm about 2-3 ppd (like Bowie at his worst, apparently) and I rarely go more than an hour between smokes.
That's too bad! Did you try , at least, to limit it somehow? I have heard that once you start it is difficult to quit. But maybe try to smoke less???

Since: Jan 07

Aberdeen, UK

#5 Jan 27, 2009
I think we can safely say, Tico is a heavy smoker!

Poland

#6 Jan 27, 2009
UK Dot wrote:
I think we can safely say, Tico is a heavy smoker!
And it agrees with what Opester says - heavy smokers can be barely seen without smoke. Tico appers with cigarette in may videos and I could also see him smoking during a show (could hide behind the drums, but still you could notice that he is smoking:))

I have heard that he was trying to quit, but with hardly any success...

Since: Aug 08

Lamía, Greece

#7 Jan 27, 2009
Jon smokes quite a bit too. Marlboro reds....

Since: Jan 09

Sydney, Australia

#8 Jan 27, 2009
marta anna wrote:
<quoted text>
And it agrees with what Opester says - heavy smokers can be barely seen without smoke. Tico appers with cigarette in may videos and I could also see him smoking during a show (could hide behind the drums, but still you could notice that he is smoking:))
I have heard that he was trying to quit, but with hardly any success...
Yeah I got a photo of him sitting behind his drumkit having a drink, and not long after he lit up also!

Although I don't know Jon personally, I have a funny feeling he doesn't smoke as much as he use to, it was more to pass the time during filming etc, and I can't see him being the type of man to light up in front of his younger children. But hey, I might be totally wrong.

Venus, PA

#9 Jan 27, 2009
marta anna wrote:
<quoted text>
That's too bad! Did you try , at least, to limit it somehow? I have heard that once you start it is difficult to quit. But maybe try to smoke less???
I quit once for 2 years with the help of wellbutrin and the patch-it was the most miserable two years of my life! Some days I smoke more and sometimes less-rarely less than 30 per day, almost never more than 60, but usually 40 or so-I'm pretty consistent! Actually, tho, I just realized there are barely any pictures of me smoking, come to think of it-but I have far fewer pictures of me than I do of Jon, LOL!

“I'll be There for You”

Since: Dec 06

"How are we doin so far, ok?"

#10 Jan 27, 2009
Opester wrote:
<quoted text>
I quit once for 2 years with the help of wellbutrin and the patch-it was the most miserable two years of my life! Some days I smoke more and sometimes less-rarely less than 30 per day, almost never more than 60, but usually 40 or so-I'm pretty consistent! Actually, tho, I just realized there are barely any pictures of me smoking, come to think of it-but I have far fewer pictures of me than I do of Jon, LOL!
I smoked for 23 years. I stopped six years ago. The doctor told me thats what gave me my brain aneurism. I'll never pick up another one, and i'm grateful to be alive. You should try to stop before something horrible happens to your health. xo

Venus, PA

#11 Jan 27, 2009
MaureenH wrote:
<quoted text>
I smoked for 23 years. I stopped six years ago. The doctor told me thats what gave me my brain aneurism. I'll never pick up another one, and i'm grateful to be alive. You should try to stop before something horrible happens to your health. xo
Probably true, but I see it as "I don't wanna live forever, I just wanna live while I'm alive" Seriously, I'd rather just enjoy the time while I'm here to the fullest, and if that means it's shorter, well, okay-quality versus quantity wins out for me, but we each need to choose based on what's most important to each of us. I've already lived longer than I expected, LOL!

Since: Jan 09

Fort Wayne, IN

#12 Jan 27, 2009
I just stopped smoking three months ago with Chantix and I am very happy I did. I don't think I will ever go back and I feel good about myself just not happy about the six pounds I gained. I would hope that Jon doesn;t smoke a lot b/c it is harmful to your v oice.

“I'll be There for You”

Since: Dec 06

"How are we doin so far, ok?"

#13 Jan 27, 2009
Opester wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably true, but I see it as "I don't wanna live forever, I just wanna live while I'm alive" Seriously, I'd rather just enjoy the time while I'm here to the fullest, and if that means it's shorter, well, okay-quality versus quantity wins out for me, but we each need to choose based on what's most important to each of us. I've already lived longer than I expected, LOL!
Okie-Dokie! lol

Since: Apr 08

Papamoa Beach, NEW ZEALAND

#14 Jan 27, 2009
I am sure I have read somewhere that Jon smokes on and off and gives up for good periods of time. I also believe Dorothea smokes as well.

Im a reformed smokers (and yes, i know, we are the worst!!!) and smoked 30plus a day. But pleased to say I have not had a ciggie for 15 years now. Stopped when i found out I was a few weeks pregnant with my second son and not had one since. That was my second attempted of stopping and sooo pleased I did. Shessh, couldn't afford to smoke today and do you guys have those awful, just hideous pictures on the outsides of the packets?? They have pics on the ciggies here in NZ and they should stop anybody smoking, but alas, the don't.

My 18 year old has started smoking, much to our disappointment, but what can you do huh???

Location hidden

#15 Jan 27, 2009
They have those pictures on the packs of cigarettes here too.
I have never smoked a day in my life. Never desired to..and when a former friend offered me on at the age of 14 I turned it down.
My dad smoked heavy until my sister's birth and he went cold turkey.

Papamoa Beach, NEW ZEALAND

#16 Jan 27, 2009
ktftd wrote:
They have those pictures on the packs of cigarettes here too.
I have never smoked a day in my life. Never desired to..and when a former friend offered me on at the age of 14 I turned it down.
My dad smoked heavy until my sister's birth and he went cold turkey.
Good on you! I went cold turkey too, think its the only way to do it!!!

“All things Jovi”

Since: May 08

Paraparaumu Beach, Kapiti, NZ

#17 Jan 28, 2009
Yep, probably the worst thing abotu Jon is his smoking...
...otherwise Id give him a kiss no worries!
He he he!
YUK - he'd taste like an ashtray...and that smell that you cant get out of their hair/clothes/skin!

Since: Sep 08

Seattle, WA

#18 Jan 28, 2009
Opester wrote:
<quoted text>
When I quit smoking I was unable to write anything for almost a year, which really sucked because I was trying to finishing my masters and I also write freelance now and then. I've remember you are a writer Opester, although I don't know if you do it for fun or profession (or both, lol) but do you have difficulty writing when you aren't smoking? It's been almost 8 years now and I still crave a cig when I hit a block. Sorry to be off topic, but I was curious if that ever happened to anyone else.

Venus, PA

#19 Jan 28, 2009
JBJ FanGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
When I quit smoking I was unable to write anything for almost a year, which really sucked because I was trying to finishing my masters and I also write freelance now and then. I've remember you are a writer Opester, although I don't know if you do it for fun or profession (or both, lol) but do you have difficulty writing when you aren't smoking? It's been almost 8 years now and I still crave a cig when I hit a block. Sorry to be off topic, but I was curious if that ever happened to anyone else.
Yes, my brain shuts down entirely. I can't write at all or concentrate on anything. And the irritability...most everyone who knows would prefer that I smoke, LOL!
Old Harley Chick

AOL

#20 Jan 28, 2009
I quit for 9 years and then went through a rough patch in my life and like a stupid idot, started smoking again. Nicotin is the most addicting drug there is. Some people can never quit. My Mother is 78 and still smokes. The main thing is you have to want to quit to succeed. I'm kinda like Opester at this point in my life. I'd rather be happy than be a b*tch to my family. My sons agree.
I think Jon is a smart man and has alot of will power. He will quit when he wants to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sebastian Bach recalls his debauched youth in n... 4 hr T Bone 3
Bon Jovi Fan Fiction (Apr '08) May 18 RoseRed 1,562
News Bon Jovi to sing at NYC Hillary Clinton fundraiser (Jan '09) May 16 Norwegian Supremacy 62
News We're all livin' on a prayer: How a hair band a... May 13 Gravy Train 6
News Bon Jovi Leads Hot Tours Tally With $31M Earned... May 7 mgemay 2
Tribeca Film Festival Apr '17 LA Fan 1
News Bon Jovi, battling bronchitis, postpones his we... Apr '17 BJ Fan 1
More from around the web