only for girls !!!!
natyb

Toulouse, France

#1 Jan 7, 2014
here is something my eldest daughter just heard about at her job and she just thought I would be interested .....
you will easilyunderstand when reading the name of that product ...

http://www.thebalm.com/balmjovi.html
jbjpeaches

Duluth, GA

#2 Jan 7, 2014
natyb wrote:
here is something my eldest daughter just heard about at her job and she just thought I would be interested .....
you will easilyunderstand when reading the name of that product ...
http://www.thebalm.com/balmjovi.html
How cute!!! Some Jovi on the lips!!!
BJ Fan

Canal Winchester, OH

#3 Jan 7, 2014
that is very funny! thanks for posting it.

Since: Feb 07

Caledon, Canada

#4 Jan 8, 2014
Interesting. I'm not positive, but I suspect this could be copyright/trademark infringement. Sometimes BJM pursue and sometimes they let it go.
natyb

Toulouse, France

#5 Jan 8, 2014
mgemay wrote:
Interesting. I'm not positive, but I suspect this could be copyright/trademark infringement. Sometimes BJM pursue and sometimes they let it go.
I am not sure of that. That brand seems to be rather a big well known one, there are also some of their items in major web sites such as amazon. It seems more like playing with the names of some groups as you can see in the names of some of the glosses .....

Caledon, Canada

#6 Jan 9, 2014
natyb wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure of that. That brand seems to be rather a big well known one, there are also some of their items in major web sites such as amazon. It seems more like playing with the names of some groups as you can see in the names of some of the glosses .....
I'm not sure either natyb, but with the product name Balm Jovi being printed in the traditional style and the Bon Jovi New Jersey logo ribbons and them using the phrase Living on a Stare, it could be enough to pursue as the Bon Jovi name is TM'd. I remember when they went after the Java Jovi coffee manufacturer. Not sure how that turned out in the end though.
natyb

Toulouse, France

#7 Jan 9, 2014
Well, we will see how it turns as you said.... Personally, I found it funny and saw no harm done to the image of the group or jon's name.... but I suppose some would see in that a kind of mockery or using the name to a commercial use that is not controlled and directed to bon jovi themselves ....
I don't think they should take it that way and suit any legal action .... sometimes they should need to relax a little and make some concessions for the usual control .....but well, commerce and trade have their own rules ....
lisa

Brockton, MA

#8 Jan 9, 2014
My first thought was that it funny, but then I also thought about trademark infringement. Along with Java Jovi there was also an all-girl tribute band in the LA area a few years ago who were told to stop their use of the logo and name. It wasn't because they actually thought anyone would confuse the two bands, it was more of a preventive measure. If the band hadn't stepped in and kept that girl group from using their brand it would have set a precedent. The next time someone came along and used the logo or name, if Bon Jovi tried to stop them, the person or group in question could say 'well they let this other group use their logo, so it can't be all that exclusive'. It's not just about the specific usage, it's having an eye toward potential future usage. If you don't protect the brand pre-emptively you have less ground to stand on trying to play catch-up.

Caledon, Canada

#9 Jan 11, 2014
Unfortunately, it's not really about relaxing control a little natyb, it's about following the rules and the law and Lisa has summarized the reasons well. I know there are thousands of people, including fans, who use the Bon Jovi name or logos to sell cottage industry products they produce, whether it be prints, photos, mugs, glasses, tshirts, jewellery and a host of other things. Any of those who use anything that is TM'd or CR, leave themselves open to receiving a cease and desist letter and possible lawsuit from a Bon Jovi organization or individual depending on how something has been registered and licensed.

I worked for a company in the manufacturing industry for many years where protection of our trademarks, copyrights and patents was crucial to the uniqueness of the products that were sold. When you create an image or brand or unique product, it is up to the individual or company to ensure they "protect" their creation and follow through with legal means when someone else infringes on their ownership of the name or product. As soon as you allow someone to crossover the line, you set the precedent and risk losing your rights for exclusive use of your product. It's a costly procedure to following through with a lawsuit. Major corporations and individuals are selective when chosing their cases to pursue. As a fan, I'd be totally embarrassed to be known by anyone connected to the Bon Jovi organization as the fan who makes bumper stickers (for example) using a Bon Jovi name and HAND smirk logo, but know some who have no concern about it at all.
natyb

Balma, France

#10 Jan 11, 2014
My point of view was that I don't consider this particular product as an abusive and unauthorized use of the brand bon jovi as I thought it was just playing with names of rock stars by turning those names in a funny way. I agree that unauthorized use is and must remain an illegal and blameworthy act. I find that the official bj merchandise is some too expensive especially when having to add huge shipping costs but, I prefer not to have any bj type merchandise at all instead of buying non official one. I often see some t shirts or calendars on sale on websites with the name and/or some pics and it is really obvious that they are illegal. As for many kinds of things (as some designer or highly expensive clothes or other products), I do not understand why people want to pretend they have the real product and buy a copy ..... in addition to the fact that it is pretending and faking, you can have a bad quality. there are always many nice other things to buy without a silly fake brand name on them.... so if I consider that it is not wise for me to buy a true and legal bj tee shirt, I perfectly can keep on living without it .......
Then, I understand that famous names or brands must be protected also because you have to be able to decide how your name or brand is used, for what purpose, what kind of product etc..... the same for the songs. I remember having read when "who says you can't go home" was used for sarah palin campaign and if I remember it well, jon was rather angry at it ......

Again, when I opened that link my daughter had sent me, I just smiled and thought that was funny and did not start calculating or philosophizing about it......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-Bon Jovi Guitarist Richie Sambora Says HBO P... 12 hr Charlotte 6 3
News Bon Jovi ditches longtime label after dissing i... Aug 26 Charlotte 6 2
Worst Lyric Ever? (Jul '11) Aug 26 ConDon 40
News Pig OK after flying out of trailer going 65 mph... Aug 22 Sublime1 10
News Bon Jovi to sing at NYC Hillary Clinton fundraiser (Jan '09) Aug 19 Calgary model 48
News Bon Jovi to Release Special Fan Album Next Month Aug 13 SusanLC 4
Always song on tour Aug 13 SusanLC 4
More from around the web