Is Richie Sambora preparing for life ...

Is Richie Sambora preparing for life after Bon Jovi?

Posted in the Bon Jovi Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WizardofOsrin

Miami, FL

#1 Dec 10, 2012
Was his weeklong gig as house band leader of 'The Late Late Show' really an audition?

http://exm.nr/SLACdg
dream87

Mainz, Germany

#2 Dec 10, 2012
Uh, no. It wasn't an "audition". However, I wouldn't be sad if he left Bon jovi. His solo music is much better and I would like to see him focus on that. But Richie isn't going to leave Bon Jovi. Too much history.
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#3 Dec 10, 2012
dream87 wrote:
Uh, no. It wasn't an "audition". However, I wouldn't be sad if he left Bon jovi. His solo music is much better and I would like to see him focus on that. But Richie isn't going to leave Bon Jovi. Too much history.
We really are thinking alike this morning Dream. Too much history but I would add his loyality to the mix also.
Alison

Lawrence, MA

#4 Dec 10, 2012
I would not be surprised to see the end of the band coming. Tico has made no secret of the fact that he is tired of the touring. David has a very successful theater career, and now Richie is spreading his wings. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that because we can is going to be the last tour.
Karen

Southall, UK

#5 Dec 10, 2012
This bloke from Examiner must get really bored. Speculating rubbish. Richie is nowt without Bon Jovi and he knows it.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#6 Dec 10, 2012
Alison wrote:
I would not be surprised to see the end of the band coming. Tico has made no secret of the fact that he is tired of the touring. David has a very successful theater career, and now Richie is spreading his wings. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that because we can is going to be the last tour.
I don't think any band quits without announcing it and promoting the tour as "the last tour" or "our farewell tour." I think the band has one more tour in them after this one. If not a complete tour, at least a few goodbye concerts. Kudos to all the members who have other avenues of passion beyond the band.

The only reason they would abruptly end the band without a planned announcement and tour would be a serious illness or death of one of the members.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#7 Dec 10, 2012
Alison wrote:
They would announce if it was the last tour. They wouldn't do a tour and then say oh btw that was our last one.

Richie is going no where, none of the members are going no where. This is their life until the end. Bon Jovi is now near the last of their career. I give them one more tour.

Since: Jun 11

Gdansk/Poland

#8 Dec 10, 2012
In one of his tweets Matt said: it's not the last tour
(Could you believe him or not that's different question)
Buzzed

Winnipeg, Canada

#9 Dec 10, 2012
Alison wrote:
I don't think the end will be after this tour but maybe the next one. I've heard the same about Tico (from a friend) but I've never seen an article or interview of him saying this. Where did you hear this? I think Richie could keep busy enough on his own to not need the band anymore but don't think he'd choose that route. IMO he likes that big Bon Jovi paycheck too much, not to mention the fame from being a part of one of the biggest rock and roll bands touring the planet.(same for David, although I think Tico could walk away from it all and not look back) Also, I think what happened on his solo tour was a big wake up call for Richie.

If you read somewhere that this is the last tour for the band it's just speculation. No one from the band or the bands people have said this is the end.

Just adding that I didn't read the "Wizard" article from the OP so I have no idea what was said in it.(and I don't care) I won't waste my time reading his garbage and won't click his link so he makes money off me.
Buzzed

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Dec 10, 2012
Miz Busybody wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason they would abruptly end the band without a planned announcement and tour would be a serious illness or death of one of the members.
I believe this is true, although I don't even want to think about it.:(
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#11 Dec 10, 2012
I'm not wishing anything bad on any band member but I wish Richie would leave. Sadley the paycheck is to good for that to happen and he is loyal to Jon. He does admit that he has had more fun with his solo work this time than he has with anything else he has ever done. His solo music is great when he mixes with Jon some how it turns into crap. At least that is the way it has turned out on the past several albums.
TiaJovi

Providence, RI

#12 Dec 10, 2012
Charlotte wrote:
I'm not wishing anything bad on any band member but I wish Richie would leave. Sadley the paycheck is to good for that to happen and he is loyal to Jon. He does admit that he has had more fun with his solo work this time than he has with anything else he has ever done. His solo music is great when he mixes with Jon some how it turns into crap. At least that is the way it has turned out on the past several albums.
He couldn't even do 5 shows in Europe then a few here in the US to support his album without having to cancel for whatever reason. He can't make it on his own. Just stating the obvious, not trying to bash him.
Buzzed

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 Dec 10, 2012
Charlotte wrote:
Out of curiosity if he were to quit, what do you think would become of his career? He came off of a successful Bon Jovi tour and did a solo album but it didn't sell well at all and the tour was only a handful of shows overseas and 1 in North America. Would you be ok with not being able to go to a show and seeing him play live? Quite frankly, I can't see him getting on a bus and playing little clubs again and now we know he can't play anything bigger over here. He's too good to just be a band member on a late night TV show or only doing studio work.

Oslo, Norway

#14 Dec 10, 2012
Here's the story so you don't have to use the link..

Famed Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora has been ceaselessly prolific over the past year. Ever since emerging from the aftermath of his lowdown---rehab---in June, 2011, the Dark slim Duke has been busier than beavers on Red Bull building dams.

Consider, he penned and recorded new songs with ‘sexless marriage’ partner Jon Bon Jovi while both were on ‘hiatus’.

Then Sambora recorded and released his stellar solo effort,‘Aftermath of the Lowdown’ lightning quick, throwing in an abbreviated solo tour for good measure, along with consistent one-off performances with Bon Jovi.

Craig Ferguson teaser, Richie Sambora to host house band
And now, reinvigorated and rejuvenated, Bon Jovi is getting ready to hit the road again for yet another prolonged tour---‘Because We Can’---in support of their upcoming new release,‘What About Now?’.ndeed, all this activity has been an unexpected bonus for Bon Jovi fans worldwide, but a recent development is enough to make them ask the question,“Is Richie Sambora preparing for life after Bon Jovi?”

In case anyone in JoviLand missed it, Sambora was the maestro of the house band for the ‘Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson’ last week, and he did it with all the color and good humor that he is known for by adoring fans.After over three decades meeting admirers and rocking millions of rapt faces, his welcoming smile and quick wit could elicit a chuckle and a verbal exchange from a golf club, let alone Ferguson’s adoring studio audience and viewers worldwide.

Sambora played the perpetually mischievous good sport to Ferguson’s irreverent commentary and asides, even expertly mimicking a german accent by showing off his 'Saturday Night Live '‘Hans and Franz’ chops and playing off Geoff, Ferguson’s skeletal sideman with the nuclear eyes.

Musically, it was the ideal setting for Mr. Bluesman to have center stage all to himself---with no little blonde guy bopping around in front of him---as he played songs old and new with ease and authority,(albeit a little flat on the high notes on ‘Every Road Leads Home To You”) and partook of show skits like a club member in on a private joke in the schoolyard.

All of which raises a question many Bon Jovi fans don’t ever want to consider: could Richie Sambora fronting the house band on Craig Ferguson’s show been an audition; a precursor of things to come when Jon Bon Jovi decides he wants to spend more time at home with his wife and kids?

While there’s no need for fans of JoviNation to run down the street screaming and pulling hair out of their heads just yet, it’s not as far-fetched as you think.

After all, the late great Johnny Carson had Doc Severinson as his musical cohort for years; David Letterman has been serenaded by Paul Schaeffer and ‘The Tonight Show with Jay Leno' had saxophonist Branford Marsalis.

Yet the example that holds the most influence here is when Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band drummer Max Weinberg took on the bandleader gig with ‘Late Night With Conan O’brien’ when he wasn’t recording or touring with The Boss.

Though hardcore Bon Jovi fans will perish the thought, a late night house band gig with Craig Ferguson makes perfect sense.The CBS show is taped in Sambora’s Los Angeles stomping ground; would provide steady income when not recording or touring with Jon Bon; would allow him to stay close to family; and would afford him the flexibility to still run off and record and tour while providing the security of knowing he had a steady gig when he got back.

Oslo, Norway

#15 Dec 10, 2012
Stupid article!#justsayin
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#16 Dec 10, 2012
Buzzed wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of curiosity if he were to quit, what do you think would become of his career? He came off of a successful Bon Jovi tour and did a solo album but it didn't sell well at all and the tour was only a handful of shows overseas and 1 in North America. Would you be ok with not being able to go to a show and seeing him play live? Quite frankly, I can't see him getting on a bus and playing little clubs again and now we know he can't play anything bigger over here. He's too good to just be a band member on a late night TV show or only doing studio work.
I see him doing what Slash does. Except he has an advantage Slash does not. Richie can sing and Slash won't sing lol. Slash has his own record company he writes and records and tours. Richie would have to get on a bus and play small clubs here in the US. He can go to bigger clubs over seas. He seems so happy now and even said so a couple of months ago doing his own thing. I would be happy listening to Richie's music and seeing him in smaller venues. Add to the fact that his average ticket would only cost around $50 I could go to a lot more shows. I agree that he is to good to do TV, he is very good at it though. But we all know this is just a Richie fan dreaming.:(
Kim

Sydney, Australia

#17 Dec 10, 2012
Layla693N wrote:
Stupid article!#justsayin
It is a stupid article. One week and now this is his career? Going from being a guitarist with one of the biggest bands to playing fulltime for a late late night talk show. No way.
Kim

Sydney, Australia

#18 Dec 10, 2012
Buzzed wrote:
<quoted text>
I am curious as well. People say they want him to leave to have a solo career but he has no solo career. A handful of shows in Europe and a CD which no one brought (but the die-hards) does not make a solo career. Ladies wish for him to leave and then his career is over. His got no record label but a independent one because no major label wants him. After the failure of his American tour, no promoter would want him either. Is that what you want for Richie? Never to see him live in concert and slowly his career to go?
Charlotte

Orlando, FL

#19 Dec 10, 2012
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
I am curious as well. People say they want him to leave to have a solo career but he has no solo career. A handful of shows in Europe and a CD which no one brought (but the die-hards) does not make a solo career. Ladies wish for him to leave and then his career is over. His got no record label but a independent one because no major label wants him. After the failure of his American tour, no promoter would want him either. Is that what you want for Richie? Never to see him live in concert and slowly his career to go?
Richie can build a solo career just like anyone else. After all that is what he was doing when he joined BJ in the first place. And as far as a record label he can form his own, it is done everyday by other artist. Believe it or not there will be life after BJ is gone.
jovi

Perth, Australia

#20 Dec 10, 2012
Stupid article.
Even back for the Undiscovered Soul tour Richie apparently had to put in his own money to keep the tour going.
At this point in his life I doubt he would want to have the sort of solo career his sales and popularity would allow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bon Jovi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bon Jovi Fan Fiction (Apr '08) Jan 14 RoseRed 1,538
Jovi in Politics Jan 4 BJ Fan 2
News Jon Bon Jovi shows off his impressive physique ... Jan 2 jbjpeaches 2
This House Is Not For Sale Tour Dec 31 Rundem 11
Born Again Tomorrow Video Dec 31 Rundem 2
Gold Circle..what to expect (Nov '07) Dec 23 mgemay 25
Can you name the titles of the Bon Jovi studio ... Dec '16 herseydenvar 1
More from around the web