Who is the best Michigan artist? Gaye...

Who is the best Michigan artist? Gaye vs. Seger

There are 20 comments on the Ann Arbor News story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Who is the best Michigan artist? Gaye vs. Seger. In it, Ann Arbor News reports that:

It's come down to this. Marvin Gaye . Bob Seger . One of them will be awarded the prestigious title of winner of the Michigan Musical Face-Off . You knew this was going to be a hard decision no matter who made ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ann Arbor News.

updateguy

Cicero, IL

#1 Aug 21, 2008
Bob Segar, are u kidding me...Marvin Gaye would blow this guy out the wall. I m a white guy and I think Segar has no talent when it comes to Gaye.
Segar was basically a one hit wonder, and many of his fans did not want to let him go.

come on people...look at the history
Marvin Gaye is better
Bernie

Houston, TX

#2 Aug 21, 2008
updateguy wrote:
Bob Segar, are u kidding me...Marvin Gaye would blow this guy out the wall. I m a white guy and I think Segar has no talent when it comes to Gaye.
Segar was basically a one hit wonder, and many of his fans did not want to let him go.
Marvin Gaye is better
Are you retarded? ONE HIT WONDER? Try over 50 MILLION albums sold. And, it's SEGER...NOT SEGAR...No contest..Seger wins hands down. You're from Chicago? It figures.....
updateguy

Cicero, IL

#3 Aug 21, 2008
Seger had no soul...its all about soul..
fag. Thats what I hate, Its racist people such as yourself that look at the color of the muscian rather than the sound of the music..check Marvin Gaye statistics, you will see they beat out seger by a long shot. Sorry Marvin is more popular.
please get the stick outta your ass and check out both artists stats before you post.
updateguy

Cicero, IL

#4 Aug 21, 2008
Texas, huh..It figures u are A redneck racists.
Bernie

Houston, TX

#5 Aug 22, 2008
updateguy wrote:
Seger had no soul...its all about soul..
fag. Thats what I hate, Its racist people such as yourself that look at the color of the muscian rather than the sound of the music..check Marvin Gaye statistics, you will see they beat out seger by a long shot. Sorry Marvin is more popular.
please get the stick outta your ass and check out both artists stats before you post.
Racist? I see nothing in my post that makes me a racist. Simply a matter of choice. As far as being a redneck, I spent my first 27 years in Detroit. My Motown record collection is massive....I grew up on Motown....and Bob Seger. It is truly a shame that so many "People of Color" have to make EVERYTHING about race. The name calling("fag" "redneck") is typical of these folks. Misdirected frustration and anger, I guess....who knows about these folks? But it is ALWAYS about RACE, isn't it?
I'm not sure what "statistics" you are referring to, but I have checked record sales, and Mr. Gaye's numbers fell a little short.
That is no reflection however, on Marvin Gaye's great talent. He was a genius and I was saddened when his dad murdered him.
I'm still trying to figure out where in my post that I imply "color" had anything to do with my comment. Unfortunately, "the race card" is all some people have to throw out there......
Oh, by the way....if you're going to call me a racist, at least spell it right. A person is a "racist", not a "racists". Maybe if you worked on your grammar skills, you would come across as being a little more intelligent than a "hood rat". You certainly sound like one.
updateguy

Cicero, IL

#7 Aug 29, 2008
"hoodrat" "these people" " name calling is typical of these folks", "people of color". hmmmmmmm sounds racist to me and stereotypical. why must I be Black because I made a grammatical error. You have done nothing but proved my point. You are a racist. I simply informed you earlier in my post that I'am white, bUT your racist mind won't let you see that. why are you talking about Black people that way. I have plenty of Black friends and none of them fall into the stereotypes you speak of....Marvin Gaye is better. just deal with it. fag
updateguy

Cicero, IL

#8 Aug 29, 2008
It's a shame that today we still have people like you still walking around.
Sandra Newsom Brown

AOL

#9 Sep 14, 2008
Angels4BobSeger says. Bob Seger gets my vote.
He will always be the greatest.
Sandra Newsom Brown

AOL

#10 Sep 14, 2008
Bob Seger will always be the best.
Angels4BobSeger says so. And that's me for sure.
Freddie

Iran

#11 Oct 6, 2008
Rolling Stone Magazine:
Mr.Gaye is 18th greatest singer of all time
Mojo Magazine:
Mr.Gaye is 6th greatest singer of all time
And many many more that you can check!
And don't doubt it! Marvin Gaye is one of the greatest artists of all time! And maybe Greatest!
Gayle

Ray, MI

#12 Nov 7, 2008
Both are good and that is understood. I suppose a vote (realistic vote and not biased) would or should include an analysis of voice, composition of songs, lyrics that also serve as prose, number of hits. Your personal opinion should not interfere with an in depth analysis on who really deserves the vote. The term artist is often used for really great people and I would be the first to say both Gaye and Seger are top notch artists.

I would give the voice to Gaye.
I would give the composition and lyrics to Seger.
Not being a historian, I am guessing Seger would probably have the largest quantity of hits. It would be interesting to research. I think some of the people responding here are letting too much of their own personality color their honest judgement. For shame. Ultimately, whomever decides the selection will be able to back it up, and it depends on the criteria they use. Let's hope it is not personal choice.
jamil haidous

Gambia

#13 Dec 19, 2008
I cannot beleive people want to compare Bob seger to anyone, all the respect for Marvin but he is no seger, Marvin never wrotte his feelings he was all soul and voice Bob seger not only is all soul,voice, but one of the greatest writter ranging from love,family,polotics,religion and most real social life about feelinf\gs emotions state of minds the corruption oh I can go on and on Love the 200 and some bob segers songs
james

Woodland, AL

#14 Jan 30, 2009
im going to let this one go. bob seger is the best of all time nough said
oldtimefan

Westland, MI

#15 Jan 30, 2009
Have to agree Mr Bob Seger #1 marvin gaye was good but cant compare with bob and the band.
Ray

United States

#16 Jul 20, 2009
Two of the greatest !
Stephen

Cypress, TX

#18 Dec 31, 2009
The thing is that you are talking about two different type of singers, song writing, and performers. They are both great in there category of music. both have origanality and both have great voices. This day and age you rarely have that anymore. Every artist has to have electronics, videos, effects, and etc to make them look good. These two artist never had that and their music is still heard all over the world. Racist has nothing to do with the beauty of music.
jeff

Jefferson City, MO

#19 Apr 6, 2011
updateguy wrote:
Marvin Gaye is better

being from michigan it hands down seger is and will always be the best. go back to chicago clueless
Michigan Rocker

Coldwater, MI

#20 Apr 8, 2011
I just want to say that I'm a Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band, fan. I have been a fan for a number of years and for me, Bob Seger is my favorite. I'm not saying he is the best just that he is my favorite of all time. Marvin Gaye was great in his own right and deserves much praise. I personally would however pick Seger over Gaye any time. Just my two cents worth. Both performers are great. I just say Seger will always be my favorite and in my mind the best.

Since: Jun 13

Fuquay Varina, NC

#21 Jun 29, 2013
To be fair, Marvin Gaye wasn't even a "Michigan artist". He was from Washington, D.C., so Bob Seger actually wins in that category and Bob Seger is one of the greatest rock and roll singers of all time. How sad racism clouds people's judgment here and I'm speaking as a big fan of Marvin.
bprocker

Maple Plain, MN

#22 Oct 23, 2013
Don't even have to think about it SEGER

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bob Seger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where Have All The Bob Seger Albums Gone? Apr '17 Carolynn 1
Bob Seger: Last 'Ride' for rock icon? (Mar '15) Mar '15 Judi9w eneinhardt 2
News Detroit: We need to renew the American dream (Jul '14) Jul '14 bensleys thoughts 4
News Bob Seger's 'Live Bullet' voted No. 1 'Best Liv... (Apr '14) Apr '14 des kennedy galw... 1
News Steve Smith: Beyonce and Destiny's Child to reu... (Jan '13) Jan '13 tigger31086 1
News Bob Seger rock and souls Phoenix (Dec '11) Dec '11 CRASSUS 2
News Phoenix Concerts: Bob Seger - Dec. 23 US Airway... (Nov '11) Nov '11 janet 1
More from around the web