Alive @ Five

When Blues Traveler kicks off the Alive @ Five concert series tonight, it will be a homecoming of sorts for singer John Popper, who attended the former Stamford Catholic High School. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CtMC

Boston, MA

#1 Jun 19, 2008
This is great for Stamford!

This is one of the few things that will attract young professionals and add to the quality of life. Nice choice of bands this year. I now live in NYC and am contemplating a return to Stamford with my girlfriend. These things make it easier to leave the big city for a small one. Connecticut cities need to begin embracing their young people and firget the boring, conservative snootiness of the burbs.
Gordon Shumway

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jun 19, 2008
CtMC wrote:
This is great for Stamford!
This is one of the few things that will attract young professionals and add to the quality of life. Nice choice of bands this year. I now live in NYC and am contemplating a return to Stamford with my girlfriend. These things make it easier to leave the big city for a small one. Connecticut cities need to begin embracing their young people and firget the boring, conservative snootiness of the burbs.
Just exactly what Stamford needs; more Yuppies! Quality of life for who? Inflating the housing costsb I don't think is a quality of life issue. By the way, not sure what profession this guy is in. Definitely not anything that requires spelling skills.
Joe

Madison, NJ

#4 Jun 19, 2008
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>Just exactly what Stamford needs; more Yuppies! Quality of life for who? Inflating the housing costsb I don't think is a quality of life issue. By the way, not sure what profession this guy is in. Definitely not anything that requires spelling skills.
Go away Yuppies!
Joe

Madison, NJ

#5 Jun 19, 2008
Madmanmike wrote:
<quoted text>
And taxing the SHIAT out of property owners so they can provide this nonsense (o:
I think that Publius guy must be a Yuppie.
CtMC

Mineola, NY

#6 Jun 19, 2008
I'm with you CtMC.
Jeff Ather

Stamford, CT

#7 Jun 19, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Go away Yuppies!
Come on, we need someone to make fun of!!
Downtown Tony

AOL

#8 Jun 19, 2008
HAY !! Reopen the Villa !!
That is Stamford!
Not the yuppies...$7 Latte anyone?
Gordon Shumway

Sand Lake, NY

#9 Jun 19, 2008
It used to be people from the city would escape to the 'burbs to escape the urban life. I'm sure that's why the majority of Stamford residents decided to live here. Great schools. Good jobs. A great quality of life. Now there is a certain faction that wants all of that, and more, but in an urban setting. I can't possibly fathom how the two will co-exist. As for the Alive @ Five concert series, I think it's great...for Stamford residents. I can't imagine the idea was to attract the Yuppie Nation here. Or was it?
Cherie G Guevara

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jun 19, 2008
Can't we all get along, now?... people from many different backgrounds attend this event. People come in from many places -- including from New York and from the town of Fairfield. "Yuppies" (isn't that an '80s term), elderly, all types attend -- the crowd is relatively young and good-looking though. The theme is basically to have good food, tons of alcoholic drinks, great live music, and then let everyone fill in the other gaps for the evening ...
Hometown

Montville, NJ

#11 Jun 19, 2008
family. I even brought my kids once last year, they loved it. Great crowd of people, good police coverage. Fun night out. Did not go tonight but will go for sure this summer.
Cherie G Guevara wrote:
Can't we all get along, now?... people from many different backgrounds attend this event. People come in from many places -- including from New York and from the town of Fairfield. "Yuppies" (isn't that an '80s term), elderly, all types attend -- the crowd is relatively young and good-looking though. The theme is basically to have good food, tons of alcoholic drinks, great live music, and then let everyone fill in the other gaps for the evening ...
T_Williams

Yonkers, NY

#12 Jun 19, 2008
Madmanmike wrote:
<quoted text>
And taxing the SHIAT out of property owners so they can provide this nonsense (o:
Actually the DSSD set up a special tax for participating companies in the downtown area to contribute. This is how the concerts, Art, Parades, and other events are being paid for, not by property taxes.
Da V

Stamford, CT

#13 Jun 20, 2008
Downtown Tony wrote:
HAY !! Reopen the Villa !!
That is Stamford!
Not the yuppies...$7 Latte anyone?
I'll second that!! They had the best jukebox around, and good, cheap drinks. Get big Dano back behind the bar with Tony D, and we're back in business!!!!
CtMC

Boston, MA

#15 Jun 20, 2008
Madmanmike wrote:
<quoted text>
Then get out of town! There are plenty of boring places to live in that have lower taxes. I for one, am tired of boring Ct. and so are most young people. If you want to live with old, rich, boring people who don't like to experience culture and entertainment, then leave. They can't just cater to your needs boring old person.
CtMC

Boston, MA

#16 Jun 20, 2008
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>Just exactly what Stamford needs; more Yuppies! Quality of life for who? Inflating the housing costsb I don't think is a quality of life issue. By the way, not sure what profession this guy is in. Definitely not anything that requires spelling skills.
Hate to say it, but Blues Traveler does not play to yuppies. Ever seen them before? I have. Get off your boring butt and try to enjoy. John Popper was raised in Stamford. There must be something you enjoy in Stamford that others don't. Thats the way it is in cities, they are diverse. I for one will not go see the Symphony or the Nature Conservancy or the Thanksgiving Parade but still believe it makes for a cultured fun energetic city. You should move to the burbs.
CtMC

Boston, MA

#19 Jun 20, 2008
Madmanmike wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey if you want to have a private party and hire someone to play and fix an event, go right ahead, I just dont want it on my dime. Ya hear? The Function of Government is not to "entertain".
Hey boring guy...

This is what cities do, like it or not.

If you owned a restaurant or a bar in town, you would probably be glad the city brought thousands of people downtown, but instead you are just worried about your own lame butt. And you are wrong about entertaining, the government does it all the time. You are just picking on the things you don't like. You are what fun people call a NIMBY. Not in my back yard! BORING! Lucky for us, the city is not listening to you. FYI: I am not a yuppie.
fed up

Morristown, NJ

#20 Jun 20, 2008
CtMC wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey boring guy...
If you owned a restaurant or a bar in town, you would probably be glad the city brought thousands of people downtown, but instead you are just worried about your own lame butt. And you are wrong about entertaining, the government does it all the time. You are just picking on the things you don't like. You are what fun people call a NIMBY. Not in my back yard! BORING! Lucky for us, the city is not listening to you. FYI: I am not a yuppie.
You are so right with your posts....I am not a yuppie either but I like you, appreciate diversity and all the things the city has to offer even if I don't partake of some activities. Last night was a great night,black, white, hispanic and the young and old, families and single folks mixing together. I'd love to have the folks that say Stamford is a ghetto witness this!

Getting into a discussion with Madmanmike is moot since he poo-poo's everything that's good or slightly different. He seems to be very bitter.
Joshua

Clifton, NJ

#21 Jun 20, 2008
i say they only allow stamford residents to enter the premises. Just like parking at the city beaches. All of these outta towners make me sick....they STANK!
Madmanmike

Brooklyn, NY

#23 Jun 20, 2008
CtMC wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey boring guy...
"entertaining" is not a function of Government "LIKE IT OR NOT"
J Lo

North Brunswick, NJ

#24 Jun 20, 2008
Enough of this I wanna know who the totally hot chick at the concert was in todays Advocate!
Madmanmike

Brooklyn, NY

#25 Jun 20, 2008
J Lo wrote:
Enough of this I wanna know who the totally hot chick at the concert was in todays Advocate!
It was Sandra Goldstein she is married and doesnt play around with lower class people. If you dont have a net worth of at least a Million, she wont talk to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blind Melon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Greatest Vid... (Oct '13) Oct '13 phiwhite 2
Blind Melon - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '11 Megan 1
Mike Argento: Thorn helps struggling addicts (Aug '10) Aug '10 The swan 2
'American Idol' in Hollywood: Vanessa Wolfe sho... (Feb '10) Mar '10 Angel1973 7
Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades Songs Announced (Mar '09) Mar '09 big guy 1
Playlist: One-Hit Wonders of the 1990s (Jul '08) Jan '09 Thomas Hoeweler 3
John Mayer puts together a solid set of hits, c... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Eddy 16
More from around the web