Joe Lynn Turner Says He Should Front ...

Joe Lynn Turner Says He Should Front Reunited Rainbow, Not Ronnie James Dio

There are 15 comments on the BlabberMouth.net story from Feb 16, 2008, titled Joe Lynn Turner Says He Should Front Reunited Rainbow, Not Ronnie James Dio. In it, BlabberMouth.net reports that:

“Nobody gives a shit about the singer in this band.”

JOE LYNN TURNER Says He Should Front Reunited RAINBOW, Not RONNIE JAMES DIO - Feb. via BlabberMouth.net

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BlabberMouth.net.

rob

Leeds, UK

#1 Aug 3, 2008
dio was the voice for rainbow in my mind not some sad attempt to be foreigner
Moo Dogg

Canterbury, UK

#2 Aug 5, 2008
rob wrote:
dio was the voice for rainbow in my mind not some sad attempt to be foreigner
I like ALL of Rainbow's eras, although it did get a little too AOR in the end. However, JLT-sung tunes like 'Stone Cold' and 'I Surrender' are still classics.
Rainbow Fan

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Aug 30, 2008
Bonnet was the definitive voice of Rainbow for me - JLT was way too bland.
Moo Dogg

Canterbury, UK

#4 Sep 16, 2008
Rainbow Fan wrote:
Bonnet was the definitive voice of Rainbow for me - JLT was way too bland.
They were BOTH good!
radar

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Sep 17, 2008
"It was all good with rainbow but with JLT they were softer. "screw it" bring Dio back!
Moo Dogg

Canterbury, UK

#6 Sep 20, 2008
radar wrote:
"It was all good with rainbow but with JLT they were softer. "screw it" bring Dio back!
Dio's too busy at the moment with er..Dio and Heaven and Hell, but I reckon it'll happen one day...
Rainbow Fan

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Oct 22, 2008
Moo Dogg wrote:
<quoted text>
They were BOTH good!
Turner is very much a pop singer and lacks dynamics. He'd be better use with a pop-rock band. Bonnet's voice is totally unique and very distinctive, whereas Turner sounds like a million other AOR singers. I don't think Turner is a bad singer at all, just not a rock singer.
joan_antonini

Mount Laurel, NJ

#8 Nov 6, 2008
I have read critics to this day say that Rainbow's best music material was with Ronnie James Dio. JLT time with Rainbow music wise doesn't even compare. As for voice RJD is known as the best heavy metal singer to this day. No comparison.
Andy Simonelli

Dodge City, KS

#9 Nov 27, 2008
It's either Dio or Graham Bonnet Rainbow for me. Who would show up at a Joe lynn Turner concert, even with Blackmore? Not me, and I'm a huge Blackmore fan.
Arthur

Riga, Latvia

#10 Feb 7, 2009
That is quite AMAZING!

Russian (rock)group Pushking from St. Petersburg has for the first time in the history of world rock-music started an unprecedented project called THE WORLD AS WE LOVE YOU.
The best PUSHKING's musical compositions from their albums (1996-2008) will be performed by the greatest vocalists of the world rock scene.
All the songs were chosen by the artists personally.

Stars already participated in a project:

Alice Cooper,
Glenn Hughes (ex-Deep Purple),
John Lawton (ex-Uriah Heep),
Joe Lynn Turner (ex-Deep Purple, ex-Rainbow),
Dan McCafferty (Nazareth),
Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Journey),
Graham Bonnet (ex-Rainbow, ex-MSG, Alcatrazz),
Eric Martin (ex-Mr. Big),
Udo Dirkschneider (ex-Accept, U.D.O.),
Jorn Lange,

as well as great guest musicians and rock-guitarists:

Steve Lukather (TOTO),
Steve Stevens,
Joe Bonamassa,
Keri Kelli (Alice Cooper),
Matt Filippini.

Producer of the project- famous American musician &#1080; and producer Fabrizio Grossi.

We expect a few extremely unbelievable duets in the nearest future.
The album will be released in 2009.

All the information about the project can be found on the official group sites;
www.pushking.eu
www.pushking.ru
www.myspace.com/pushkingofficial

Yours faithfully,
PUSHKING
pushking@pushking.eu
Jim B

New York, NY

#11 Jun 25, 2009
I think Dio's ego is too big! JLT was the voice of the 80's, and that's when Rainbow was at their best. Rainbow was never a metal band, rather a hard rock band, and turner is the voice of that genre.
Ritchie S

Nis, Serbia

#12 Nov 7, 2009
As far as I'm concerned I would like to see Doogie as a singer of Rainbow. He is my favourite Rainbow frontmen of all...
David

UK

#13 Nov 19, 2009
I am sorry to see so many comments supporting JLT's view yes rainbow where good then 1980 onwards but where they classic and genre defining, I think ronnie and Ritchie had a chemistry both in and out the studio that Ritchie has perhaps never had with another vocalist except maybe his new wife, ronni and ritchie where partners and they should have stayed together, I think it says alot that Ronnie has never publically critisced Ritchie and he never ronnie, where as IG, GB and JLT all have, JLT is obsessed with Ritchie because he knows he is nothing without him, no one will remember in his own right like they will do RJD, I wish even with as one off Ronnie and Ritchie would play together again, especially with the news in the last few days that RJD has been rushed to hospital, get well soon
elfquest

Lumbini, Nepal

#14 Mar 25, 2010
Ronnie was just the start of Rainbow and a good one. But Rainbow went into a different direction and that is the direction of the "Foreigner" type sound of Joe Lynn Turner. That is the real Rainbow as far as I am concerned. Dio and Blackmore was just some Dio oriented stuff that launced his career. It doesn't make much sense to have an ex-singer of Black Sabbath sing for a soft rock band like Rainbow. It won't be good for publicity.

Since: Jul 10

El Paso, DFW, and Houston, TX

#15 Aug 12, 2010
RIP, Ronnie.

Obviously, no point in talking about whether RJD should be in any Rainbow reunion. I will say, however, that while I liked all the different Rainbow versions, the Dio years were the best.

As far as Rainbow re-uniting: I saw the last U.S. show that Blackmore's Night did last year, in Orlando, and I think they just went through the motions. Does that mean Blackmore's getting back into rock? Maybe, but I think it more likely that he'll just retire altogether.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blackmore's Night Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ritchie Blackmore: Latest Issue of Free Online ... (May '09) May '09 Bahama Kin 1
News Blackmore's Candice Night of Port Jeff goes solo (Jan '09) Jan '09 Moo Dogg 2
News Blackmore's Night Parts Ways With Bassist, Anno... (Oct '06) Sep '08 Moo Dogg 6
News Mick Cervino Auctioning 'Historic' Basses (Apr '08) Jul '08 Jim Murphy 2
More from around the web