The study of the Book of Isaiah chapt...

The study of the Book of Isaiah chapter 6

Posted in the Bishop T.D. Jakes Forum

Bishop William Caractor

Bayside, NY

#1 Jun 25, 2008
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I greet you in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is my sincere Prayer that you are being Blessed even as you read this email.

Today, we study the Book of Isaiah chapter 6.

6:1-4 In chapter 6 Isaiah recounts his original call to the prophetic ministry, dating it from the year that king Uzziah died, 740 B.C. With the death of godly Uzziah, Judah's golden age was fast slipping away. No human leader appeared on the scene to reverse the decadence that had begun during Uzziah's final years of isolation due to leprosy. At this crucial hour, the prophet's attention was turned to God Himself, the true Sovereign in the affairs of men. A throne refers to the throne of heaven (Revelation 4:2). His train refers to His royal robes. Seraphim ("burning ones") are six-winged angelic creatures that continually fly in the presence of God, declaring His holiness. Holy, holy, holy is a threefold declaration of God's person and may be taken as a suggestion of the Trinity. Note that when God speaks, He uses the plural noun us (verse 8)

6:5 Isaiah's Confession: Having seen God in the full glory of His holiness, Isaiah pronounces the prophetic Woe upon himself. This was a legal charge meaning "ruined" or "dead." His self-evaluation was I am undone (from Hebrew damah, meaning "to be dumb" or "silent"). Thus, his response was a statement of total self-condemnation: "I am dead...I am speechless!" Recognizing that he has no legitimate excuse for himself, he further realizes that he is unclean (tame', "defiled" or "polluted"). This self-evaluation is made in light of the fact that he has seen the King, the Lord of hosts. The heavenly King is identified as Yahweh Himself, who is called "Lord of hosts" 62 times in Isaiah and 261 times throughout the Old Testament. See the note on 1 Samuel 1:3

6:6, 7 Isaiah's Consecration: Isaiah's confession of his personal sin brought the response of God's cleansing to equip him for service to the Lord. The altar was the place of blood sacrifice, called by later rabbinic writers the Paraclete, or place of expiation or intercession. The coal has no redemptive ability of it's own but is symbolic of the efficacy of the burnt offering consumed on the altar. This Isaiah's sin was purged (cleansed).

6:8 Isaiah's Call: Isaiah states that he heard the voice of the Lord asking whom He should send and who will go for us? The plural pronouns are used here as in Genesis 1:26 to refer to the triune God. The prophet himself is now a changed man. Having his burden of guilt and worry removed, he spontaneously volunteers: Here I am, send me. His consecration by God prepared him to answer God's call to service.

6:9-13 Isaiah's Commission: God warns Isaiah that his ministry, for the most part, will fall upon deaf ears. The syntax of the sentence indicates that hear ye indeed means "keep on hearing." Thus Judah will continue hearing but not heeding to the prophet's warning. Make the heart...far...ears heavy...shut their eyes indicates that the more he preaches, the more the people will harden themselves to his message until the Babylonian captivity, after which only a tenth...shall return.

More next time.

Yours in Jesus Christ,

Bishop William B. Caractor
Daniel Hiralall

Durban, South Africa

#2 Jan 24, 2013
Thank you Dear Bishop I listen to your messages, i buy them , they truly touch my spirit.
May the Lord aleays strengthen you and give you more divine years.
Your in Christ
Daniel Hiralall
susan

Madison, WI

#3 Feb 4, 2013
These are all the notes/explanations in my KJV studybible at the bottom. I recommend purchasing one.

MAY YOU BE BLESSED IN YOUR STUDIES AND DESIRE FOR GOD'S WORD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bishop T.D. Jakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have You Been Wounded in God's Army? May 27 Bishop Caractor 1
I Have Paid My Dues, Now I Must Pay My Debt! May '16 Bishop Caractor 2
A Word in Which You Can Live By Apr '16 Bishop Caractor 1
A Word in Which You Can Live By Feb '16 Bishop Caractor 1
The History of Amos (Nov '15) Nov '15 Bishop Caractor 1
The History of Simeon (Nov '15) Nov '15 Bishop Caractor 1
The History of King Melchizedek (Nov '15) Nov '15 Bishop Caractor 1
More from around the web