Holiday tunes, loved and hated

Holiday tunes, loved and hated

There are 38 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 17, 2007, titled Holiday tunes, loved and hated. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Playing the right Christmas song isn't just a matter of whether you'll tick off Aunt Harriet or send Grandpa covering his ears and fleeing into the snow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Charles Paredes

United States

#1 Dec 18, 2007
When is the last time anyone recorded a Christmas Song.

What is the last Christmas song written.

Don't want to hear Christmas songs sung in Rap Music.
the Seeker

Schaumburg, IL

#2 Dec 18, 2007
You missed a tune for the most hated:

Chipmunks

I told a co-work if he played that again, I would destroy the CD
Far Northsider

Milwaukee, WI

#3 Dec 18, 2007
The WORST Christmas song still remains Paul McCartney's Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time
JohnD

Vernon Hills, IL

#4 Dec 18, 2007
If I have to hear "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" one more time, I'm gonna be sick.

Does anyone really roast chestnuts over an open fire any more? For that matter, does anyone roast chestnuts at all? For that matter, does a majority of people on the planet even have a clue as to what a chestnut is?

What we need is a few more new Christmas parody songs. How about some title ideas, folks? I'll start:

"Buy me Diamonds for Christmas (Or I'll Divorce You)"
Dave

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 18, 2007
Granted, it's being conducted under limited conditions, but I'm not keen on a poll that offers me five choices for most loved and most hated, especially since my choice for neither list is an option.

My most loved would be "Do You Hear What I Hear," but not the Johnny Mathis version. Give me the good, traditional choir arrangement any day.

Most hated? Rock versions of just about any traditional carol. It's not a matter of not liking rock music (I do like it -- I'm a lot younger than I may sound in this post!), but some things just shouldn't be fooled with.

Best parody song? Allen Sherman's "Green Christmas."
Santa

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Dec 18, 2007
Andy Williams - The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Gene Autry - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Robert Goulet - Oh Holy Night

Linus and Lucy
John

Carol Stream, IL

#7 Dec 18, 2007
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney is simply among the worst. Mannheim Steamroller doesn't fare much better.
PaulG

Rockford, IL

#8 Dec 18, 2007
Well, Winter Wonderland has certainly worn out it's welcome, and Amy Grant's Thrown Together Xmas Wish is about the worst piece of dreck I've ever heard, but I think Paul McCartney's has pride of place as a truly stellar failure. The thing is a burning spike that goes from one ear to the other, detouring to take a bite out of your wallet.
MattW

Aurora, IL

#9 Dec 18, 2007
Not a big fan of Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby, either. The song Silver and Gold, from the Rudolf movie, reeks of promoting materialism. I also strongly dislike Bruce S. and the E-Street band's Santa Clause is coming to town - possibly the worst song ever recorded with the word Santa in it.
fred

Columbus, IN

#10 Dec 18, 2007
Carol of the Bells / Ukranian Carol is one of the the best, by any of the following artists:
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- Boston Pops / A. Fiedler
- Mannheim Steamroller
- David Foster
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
... and many other versions.

And no one plays Yogi Yorgesson "I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas" any more.
Jack

San Jose, CA

#11 Dec 18, 2007
I cannot STAND Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas is You". I also agree that "The Christmas Song" by any performer is extremely overplayed.

I love "Mary's Boy Child" by Boney M and I love "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer" and the cheesetasticness of "Feliz Navidad".
SLC

São Paulo, Brazil

#12 Dec 18, 2007
How about that much loathed Christmas album from Yanni ! OMG, what a piece of crap. I would rather poke my eye out with a sharp stick than have to hear that ever again.
Lizzie

Lake In The Hills, IL

#13 Dec 18, 2007
I agree with John and Far Northsider. I was having a "Wonderful Christmastime" until I again heard that "song," with the "choir" that sounded like they practiced for less than five minutes before the tape rolled, and not "all year long..." This time of year I am thankful for remote controlls and push button radios...
The Nerd

Lawrenceville, GA

#14 Dec 18, 2007
Any Christmas song by Johnny Mathis are the worst ever!!!(Except Winter Wonderland)
T-man

Chicago, IL

#15 Dec 18, 2007
Far Northsider wrote:
The WORST Christmas song still remains Paul McCartney's Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time
Amen!
As for modern renditions, "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah MacLachlan is very good; not quite up to the Robert Goulet (RIP) standard, but I think it will be considered a "classic" as the years go by.
MA Girl

Buffalo Grove, IL

#16 Dec 18, 2007
How does ANYONE like All I Want for Christmas Is You? Horrible song...

And Jingle Bell Rock is by far the most overplayed Christmas song on the radio right now.
Greg

Oak Park, IL

#17 Dec 18, 2007
Not sure how "Happy Xmas," aka "So This Is Christmas," made it to the "Well Loved" category -- with its thinly veiled contempt, and stirring phraseology such as, "Let's hope it's a good one."

And with a tune simply ripped off from Peter, Paul and Mary's "Stewball."

One can well imagine Lennon laughing at the sheep who bought and listened to that one. "Took us five minutes, mate, and look at the sales numbers."

It's a channel-changer.
bearhead

Richmond, VA

#18 Dec 18, 2007
dandy warhols "little drummer boy"
good stuff
tyler durden

Chicago, IL

#19 Dec 18, 2007
I loathe most Christmas music, with few exceptions and those are as follows:

The Chieftains Bells of Dublin album

The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack to a Charlie Brown Christmas

Cambridge University King's College choir's rendition of "Once In Royal David's City"

Merry Christmas.
Tic

United States

#20 Dec 18, 2007
I can't stand "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" but it is kinda popular in the south.

as for Best, Sarah McLaughlin's
"wintersong" album is great.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bing Crosby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bingo Music Thread (Apr '15) Mar '17 Musikologist 6
News Best bets for this weekend: Playing in the snow... (Dec '10) Oct '13 FredericSuisse 2
News INTERVIEW/PROFILE: Jazz Musician of the Day: Bi... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Gary Flynn - Brew... 1
News King's Castle Theatre Opening in Branson, MO (Oct '12) Oct '12 the Trimbles 1
News Pick your favorite holiday song, film (Nov '11) Nov '11 Nelkane 1
Tribute website (Apr '11) Apr '11 Kelly 1
News UMG Donates 200,000 Masters to Library of Congress (Jan '11) Jan '11 Hermianeh 1
More from around the web