A new music world, but not a better one

A new music world, but not a better one

There are 1 comment on the Berkshire Eagle story from Mar 6, 2008, titled A new music world, but not a better one. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

LENOX One of my saddest early memories is of harsh punishment by my music-loving Dad for accidentally breaking one of his treasured shellac 78s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Syracuse, NY

#1 Mar 8, 2008
Hal March did the smartest thing a small store can do and that is specialize in something other than trying to carry the hits or whatever was listed on the Billboard charts. If White Knight had done the same thing as Toonerville, perhaps the future wouldn't be so grim for Mr. White. He sounds like a nice guy, but you've got to change with the times and can't continue to conduct a business such as his in 2008 as you did in 1988. Downloading is horrible but unless you're stocking something people are buying (vinyl-new not used), merchandise (shirts, new posters etc.), the kids of today won't understand what kind of store you're running and the jazz and classical fans will stay away. Use different distributors and buy direct from labels, stop using over-priced one-stop distributors, their prices stink and are WAY too high now.

It's too bad he's going the way of the dinosaur when all is said and done. It makes me hate the stores that continuously sell music below wholesale just to get you in the door (Best Buy).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bing Crosby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hark! The Herald Amy Sings Feb '18 Anonymous 2
Bingo Music Thread (Apr '15) Jan '18 Musikologist 7
News COMMENTARY: A Christmas dream inspired by Irvin... Dec '17 C Kersey 1
News Best bets for this weekend: Playing in the snow... (Dec '10) Oct '13 FredericSuisse 2
News INTERVIEW/PROFILE: Jazz Musician of the Day: Bi... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Gary Flynn - Brew... 1
News King's Castle Theatre Opening in Branson, MO (Oct '12) Oct '12 the Trimbles 1
News Pick your favorite holiday song, film (Nov '11) Nov '11 Nelkane 1