Facts about Billy Joel
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BigBillyFan

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 6, 2006
hi i am billy's biggest fan. here are some interesting facts maybe you did not know:

1. the first song he wrote was called "The Piano Man." he wrote this because he spent many years working as a piano man in a bar in NYC. so it is like an autbiograpfy. the song became an instant hit and sold millions. this made him depressed and he tried to kill himself (he could not deal with sudden fame) But he got better and wrote a sequel called "The Stranger." this did not do as well and it is rarely heard today

2. his favorite song is "just the way you are." he wrote this for his wife Christy Briknly

3. he has two kids-- a daughter named alexa and a son named ray. ray was named after stevie wonder. alexa was named after a boat becasuse she was fat

4. he wrote "new york start of mind" when he was on vacation in colorado. he wrote "ballad of billy the kid" there too. it was supposed to be sung by jon denver but jon denver died in a plane crash so billy decided to sing it instead

5. his last album is called "a river of dreams" he wrote this on nantucket with his son ray. nobody liked it

6. his drummer is named liberty and has performed with him every time but billy kicked him out when he did storm front and married his wife but then liberty came back for "a river of dreams"

7. billy used to play in a heavy metal band called iron maiden. he was the drummer until ozzy replaced him
Bob

Mahanoy City, PA

#3 Apr 23, 2006
I don't know where you're getting your info from, but half of it is wrong!You better do some better research!
I don't even know where to start. I'll pick 2. He doesn't have a son Ray. He wrote New York State of Mind when he returned from Ca. on a bus going to his new home in Highland Falls NY.
stephanie

New Paltz, NY

#4 Apr 30, 2006
BigBillyFan

you are anything but.

basically all that information is wrong.
louise

Manchester, UK

#5 Apr 30, 2006
BigBillyFan wrote:
hi i am billy's biggest fan. here are some interesting facts maybe you did not know:
1. the first song he wrote was called "The Piano Man." he wrote this because he spent many years working as a piano man in a bar in NYC. so it is like an autbiograpfy. the song became an instant hit and sold millions. this made him depressed and he tried to kill himself (he could not deal with sudden fame) But he got better and wrote a sequel called "The Stranger." this did not do as well and it is rarely heard today
2. his favorite song is "just the way you are." he wrote this for his wife Christy Briknly
3. he has two kids-- a daughter named alexa and a son named ray. ray was named after stevie wonder. alexa was named after a boat becasuse she was fat
4. he wrote "new york start of mind" when he was on vacation in colorado. he wrote "ballad of billy the kid" there too. it was supposed to be sung by jon denver but jon denver died in a plane crash so billy decided to sing it instead
5. his last album is called "a river of dreams" he wrote this on nantucket with his son ray. nobody liked it
6. his drummer is named liberty and has performed with him every time but billy kicked him out when he did storm front and married his wife but then liberty came back for "a river of dreams"
7. billy used to play in a heavy metal band called iron maiden. he was the drummer until ozzy replaced him
WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT!
c-dawg

Maidens, VA

#6 Aug 13, 2007
dude get ur facts right. wtf! he was never in iron maiden.
Evan

Kingsport, TN

#7 Aug 14, 2007
Billy Joel was never in Iron Maiden he deosent do death metal
Evan

Kingsport, TN

#8 Aug 20, 2007
Billy Joel similar artist Kenny Loggins Toto Harry Chapin Carly Simon Seals and Crofts Huey Lewis and the News Genesis Eddy Money John Mallencamp Paul Mccartney Little Riverband Jim Croce Steve Winwood Men at Work Christopher Cross Paul Simon Don Mclean Bread
Bill

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#9 Aug 22, 2007
LMAO you have so twisted the facts bigbillyfan.

He has a daughter, named ALEXA RAY (ray after Ray Charles, his idol).

He wrote 'Uptown Girl' for Christy Brinkley, not 'Just the way you are'.

He was never in Iron Maiden, and he did not kick Liberty DeVitto out of his band. In fact Liberty used to play drums in my church whenever the band was in town. We were his church whenever he was home.
Fran

Australia

#10 Feb 11, 2009
BigBillyFan,

Are you on medication...or something else.

If was very funny reading anyway.

By the way I am his biggest fan!
Evan

Cleveland, TN

#11 Feb 27, 2009
hey did anybody get the prerealise of Oliver and Company Billy Joel is in it
smart chick

Bloomington, IL

#12 Apr 5, 2009
u know nothing of anything...Biggest fan?
Evan

Columbia, TN

#13 Apr 20, 2009
of course Biggest Fan does not know anything but i do
Evan

Columbia, TN

#14 Apr 20, 2009
but dont expect me to write down everything about Billy
Evan

Columbia, TN

#15 Apr 20, 2009
i mean dont exspect me to write down everything about Billy
sharekare

United States

#16 Aug 1, 2009
I know you think the "facts" you entered about Billy Joel are funny. Which I do, too. Sop I've decided not to edit it. It is harmless fun. Instead, I'll write the facts here. Make my corrections. Billy Joel's first hit was not "Piano Man." It was Movin' Out. I might be wrong about that one. But I know it was off "The Stranger." That he did work in a piano bar, but only for a short while-in California under the assumed name of William Martin. That is what they say anyway. The suicide attempt cdid not come until the late eighties. I don't understand why he would. It seems like he had it all at the time. A loving wife, a beautiful daughter, and a great career. I don't get it. He wrote "Just the Way You Are for his forst wife Elizabeth Weber. His last full-length album was omne of his best. It won academy awards! Alexa Ray was named for Ray Charles and his brother Alexander. Tyhe boat came later. And he has no son. Liberty DeVito did not quit being his drummer until sometime after 200His wife was his manager's sister-I do believe. He used to play in a rock group called The Hassle back in the 60 's or early 70's. He has never been considered to be a hard rocker. This is as far as I know. Pretty boring, hah?
pat

Ireland

#17 Aug 2, 2009
hi im coming over to newyork for my birthday in aug and i believe there is a restaurant beside carnige hall this restaurant is called di trevi fountain but did all you fellow billy joel fans know that this very restaurant inspired no other than the brilliant scences from an italian restaurant and guess what i have a reservation and who knows billy mite drop in and if he does iwill hum my favourite song of all time to him which is root beer rag
Greg

Perth, Australia

#19 Sep 7, 2009
Is this site visited only by 10 year olds? No one seems to be able to string a proper sentence together and no one seems to be able to get close to anything even slightly resembling "facts". The suicide attempt was not in the late eighties but 1970. His discouraged career and personal life aggravated his depression at the time. He left a suicide note (which became the lyrics to "Tomorrow Is Today") and attempted to commit suicide by drinking furniture polish, saying later, "I drank furniture polish. It looked tastier than bleach." His drummer at the time, Jon Small, rushed him to the hospital. Joel checked into Meadowbrook Hospital, where he was put on suicide watch and received treatment for depression. Joel later recorded "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" as a message to help prevent teen suicide. Billy himself has also been quoted many times as saying di trevi fountain is no longer there, so good luck on that one! Billy may not have technically kicked Liberty out of his band but Liberty had played with Joel for basically every gig and album since the 1970's and was then not invited back for the 2006 tour. On May 19, 2009, Joel's former drummer, Liberty DeVitto, filed a lawsuit in NYC claiming Joel and Sony Music owed DeVitto over 10 years of royalty payments. DeVitto has never been given songwriting credit on any of Joel's songs, but he claims that he helped write some of them. And Academy Awards are for movies...possibly soundtracks...but albums? I don't think so! Just thought I would try and put a little fact on this page. Just some...as nearly all of the stuff on this page is just pure rubbish! Cheers!:-)
Evan

Cleveland, TN

#21 Oct 12, 2009
no but Elton is
Evan

Cleveland, TN

#24 Nov 8, 2009
Doctor Drew please no nasty talk thank you
Evan

Cleveland, TN

#26 Nov 9, 2009
no i dont can you please stop asking

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Billy Joel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News School Gives Homeless Piano Player Full Scholar... (Jul '15) Jul '15 inagaddadavida 13
News Elton John and Billy Joel: madmen across the piano (Mar '09) Mar '14 Evan 45
Billy Joel @ Madison Square Garden! (Nov '13) Nov '13 Mary 1
News Top 10 Billy Joel songs (Jul '13) Jul '13 Lucia 2
News Royal treatment bonded Billy Joel to Allentown (Nov '07) Nov '12 daveB 42
Billy Joel nude (Sep '12) Sep '12 Eleanor 1
Billy Joel - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '11 Evelyn 1
More from around the web